Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Made in America or ...........

From Gunpowder River, MD
Tomgamber,

I could not agree with you more on the fear mongering "loud mouths". I won't even watch FOX news any more. They've got this recovering alcoholic Glen Beck, who spews his fearing nonsense on radio and TV air waves all day long. It's a shame because Fox was always so entertaining before. I just can't abide that Donkey. Having said that, I would rather have two expensive peices of Boo then a truck load of graphite from any country.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 11:08

From Lower Burrell
Liberals own guns...???

Posted on: 2009/3/20 11:48

I have all Cabelas rods. Made in China......sorry but you can't beat the price, especially in this economy. Their performance to me is just as good as American higher end rods. I would like to buy American made don't get me wrong just can't see spending $200 dollars more for the same.

The rods are made in China but I am buying them in an American store helping pay for Americans salaries.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 12:24

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

TroutBuster wrote:
Liberals own guns...???

yes, many do so watch what you say.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 12:38

From Bozeman
Quote:

TroutBuster wrote:
Liberals own guns...???

Libertarians sure as hell do, and I plan on getting one soon. Please, don't make the mistake of calling me a conservative, either.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 13:27

From Monessen, PA
My reputation for frugality precedes me, so take this for what it is worth: if I was such as to be willing to spend $550 for a fly rod, I couldn't imagine an extra $200 would be anything more than a minor inconvenience (that is, the slight bother of pulling two more paper notes from my wallet).

Posted on: 2009/3/20 13:40

Quote:

JackM wrote:
My reputation for frugality precedes me, so take this for what it is worth: if I was such as to be willing to spend $550 for a fly rod, I couldn't imagine an extra $200 would be anything more than a minor inconvenience (that is, the slight bother of pulling two more paper notes from my wallet).

My most expensive rod was my saltwater rod. Which was around $450. All of my fresh water rods are around $150. This is including line, reel and rod. So an extra $200 would be an inconvenience considering I was recently laid off from work and to boot I have fished with friends higher end rods and don't see the point in spending the extra cash. When in the end they both get the job done.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 13:50

From Monessen, PA
I think you missed my point, but you won't be the only one, I am sure. It wasn't an easy point to try to make.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 13:53

Jack,

I don't understand completely. Are you saying someone who is willing to pay a lot doesn't really care about the price? And is more interested in having a high end rod regardless if a cheaper rod performs similar?

Posted on: 2009/3/20 14:25

From Bozeman
Quote:

JustFish wrote:
Jack,

I don't understand completely. Are you saying someone who is willing to pay a lot doesn't really care about the price? And is more interested in having a high end rod regardless if a cheaper rod performs similar?

I forget what the phenomenon is called, but it's documented in some psychology texts, I'm sure. When buying a new car, you don't really haggle over $300, yet when buying a DVD, you'd haggle over $3. The higher price essentially devalues individual dollars in our minds.

I think Jack's example is a little extreme, but if I'm shelling out over $500 for a rod, I'm not going to balk at a better model that is over $600.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 14:33

Tha's what I thought. Wasn't sure though.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 14:37

From Monessen, PA
That's pretty close. But here is a more explicit statement:

If I cared about a $200 difference in rod price I'd already be way over my head in spending $550 on a fly rod. Or, looked at from the other angle, if I had so much money that I would spend $550 for a rod, I certainly wouldn't find an extra $200 a big issue, or rather any issue at all. As I noted, this attitude flows from my being one of the biggest cheapskates I know.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 16:55

From florida
Are the blanks made in the US and shipped overseas for assembly?. How many blank makers are there in the US?Just me, my salt water stuff is mostly custom made locally. Those are on Fenwick,old Shakespeare and others that I can't recall. I've got some Penn ,Star,and Shimano rods and reels. I'm not an elitist regarding tackle and I know that the fish aren't either.Buy locally and help the shop owners.I got some hellacious deals on equipment at the hock shops.Got some good blanks,old rods , and had them re wrapped.No none of my rods have my name on them.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 16:27

Quote:

TroutBuster wrote:
Liberals own guns...???

Right here, buddy! I can see 17 of them from my computer.

Of couse, like "communist", for some people "liberal" is just a blanket synonym for everything and everyone they don't like. In Germany they used the word "Juden". It's the same thing. You know how that turned out.

Back on topic: I wish American rod makers could or would make there rods for a less extravagant price. Why do premium rods cost about $300 more than they did 3 years ago?

Anything else go up in price like that, besides Petroleum? (which is now down) Seriously: That makes College and Health Care look like frikk'n pikers. PIKERS, I TELL YA!!!!

And if they need more money, heck just price 'em up around a grand each. If they all collude to do that, maybe they'll re-set the market and tap into a larger revenue stream. Sure, a graphite cone with a cork handle, a reel seat and 7 guides is worth more than a new Winchester Model 70.
They need to do a better job of making good rods for less, not boutique items.

Syl

Posted on: 2009/3/25 23:41

From Lehigh Valley
Because "Made in America" is linked to "fine craftsmanship" on everything except cars anymore?

And "fine craftsmanship" means "prepare to take it in the wallet," except in cars where it means "German mythology."

American manufacturing is no longer content with producing honest products at honest prices, like everything American, it needs to be the best (please don't spin that into the basis of a negative comment, its not meant to be). I think that's why the price needs to be so much, because everything has to exceed and excel, rather than be content at producing things that are just right.

Instead, we outsource that to other countries to mass produce our goods for us. Evidently, in the case of tackle, that's China and Korea.

However, it appears to someone on the outskirts that there is a place where you can still obtain quality American craftsmanship and reasonable prices: There's an entire cottage industry of home and small scale customer builders out there. Just doing a little research recently leads me to believe that a "custom" or the very least "handbuilt" rod isn't as an expensive as one would think upon hearing the words.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 9:23

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
119 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com