Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Looking for a loooong nymphng rod...

My guys are packing for the flight out to Montana tomorrow. The dog got skunked about an hour ago! :) I got to give her a bath, I smell now too. Sounds like a personal day unless my boss wants me in his office. I got the full air saturated gas when I heard the hubbie yell, loading his luggage in the car and she came streaking to me. Oh the trust of a dog!

What a night!

Oh and yes I do pick out my own rods. If it doesn't work, it doesn't, if you have a sure sale it's all good. Sorry I'd need to try it out. If it doesn't work out I could always find it a new home or use it as a lender rod, it's usually not a problem. I can go abit more for the right rod.

Specs are still 10', fast action, tip flex. Not too soft, I'm too messy to have a noodle. And if I mess up with what I describe, I have to sit down and SLOWLY unwrap my mess which just reminds me what I should never do. If I mess up with a noodle I cry and go home. Makes you ask why I still bother?

Posted on: 2010/7/29 23:43

From Eastern PA
Rough night! Sorry to hear about the dog. I know there are lots of remedies out there but not sure which one works best. Let us know!

I hear there is nothing pleasant about a limp, noodley rod so definitely stick with a fast stick with the soft tip. No point in getting all messy and crying, as that is not what it's all about!

Posted on: 2010/7/30 0:39

I woke up to the smell of skunk, I still stink! My boss gave me a breather so I packed up the dogs and me in my new truck all skunky and took them to the lake and swam them for an hour at 6AM this morning. Smelly, but good!

I haven't had time to work my younger dog in awhile, I have field retrievers. She never missed a beat. Gosh what a great dog that has been bored to death in this house. It was an awakening in every sense. I'll have to get back to some short yard work but I think I'll have her sharp on pheasants for the youth hunt. I just need to find a youth! LOL!

Posted on: 2010/7/30 9:43

Bought my rod. 9'6" 5wt Winston BIIMX 4 piece, Thanks to jdaddy and an error on a website. This will be my first new rod and I can blame the purchase on insanity caused by this blasted case of poison ivy. I'm on a 2nd course of steroids, antihistamines etc. Next step hospital and IV steroids, which I plan to avoid at all costs. I cannot even phantom putting on waders over this rash so it better hurry up and get better so I can try out my new toy. scratch, scratch scratch scratch

Posted on: 2010/8/2 21:09

From Eastern PA
Congrats. The BIIMX series is not being discontinued and if you got it at that published price earlier today, you got a good deal.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 21:25

From Chester County
Nice rod Wetnet. Good luck with it. Hopefully you'll be back in shape to use it soon.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 6:52

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
Bought my rod. 9'6" 5wt Winston BIIMX 4 piece......better hurry up and get better so I can try out my new toy. scratch, scratch scratch scratch

Nice! You beat the heck out of the ol' budget for that one! You deserve it, though.

Have no fears about breaking it in - I'm sure the kid will have it out on a lake in no time.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 8:43

From Potter County
There's a European company making an 11' 3 weight. I think there called Modern Flies. Also, Loop and Bloke Rods and Grey's are supposed to either make or carry this rod. Maybe worth checking out. I don't know much more about them, read about it on another board.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 9:19

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
Bought my rod. 9'6" 5wt Winston BIIMX 4 piece......better hurry up and get better so I can try out my new toy. scratch, scratch scratch scratch

Nice! You beat the heck out of the ol' budget for that one! You deserve it, though.

Have no fears about breaking it in - I'm sure the kid will have it out on a lake in no time.

Actually I didn't hurt the Ol' budget at all. If I bought it Pa, I'd have to pay tax and maybe shipping. I used some birthday money so with the discount they gave me.... I acquired a $700 rod without paying tax for about half the price and free shipping which most companies do for big purchases. Usually I spend my birthday $$$ on hooks, that I don't get to use. This is not the case this year. HA!!! If my son takes this rod to the lake, I'll be attached to it if he wants to try it out. I'm also looking at a 10' 4 or 5 wt. Streamflex. For $299 I hear it's very sensitive for nymphing. The Winston will be my Delaware rod. I'd like to try them both out neck to neck on the Lack and I have a really good friend that will ship me hisStreanflex to give it a test drive. If the Winston doesn't pan out for me, said son will have first dibs. It was too good of a deal to pass up. You already know the end of the story. LOL!! It will be an awesome streamer rod, which he will need on his never ending quest of poorville.

Since the price was a mistake on the website, I contacted the store and let them know that I wouldn't hold them to it. I would be just fine with the BIIX rod and a credit for hooks. They are very nice people at Blue Quill. We'll see what happens. It's all good, either way.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:21

You are right, the LOOP breaks an awful lot. They sent me two tip sections because it was breaking so frequently.

The 4 weight Greys rod is very good at the 300 price point. I also have a 10 foot 4 weight Hardy Marksman that is extremely crisp. It is a great casting rod and very good for all types of nymphing.

The Shadow PE has a very soft tip section and for that reason I find that the hook sets are not solid and you lose a great deal of fish due to poor hook penetration.

You will like the Greys rod very much. It's the best value overall. Although the rod does not dampen as quickly as the Marksman.

Keep in mind that a faster rod reacts much more quickly than a slower mid flex rod. What this means is that if you are going to be fishing at any distance the rod will take up line quicker when setting the hook on fish, resulting in less lost fish. The rod will also be able to handle a much heavier "load." This will make casting weighted nymph rigs and indicator systems much less fatiguing not to mention that the added length will make for easier mending.

Posted on: 2010/8/7 21:24

WooHoo! Finally my WINSTON BIIMX 9'6" 5 WEIGHT - 4 PIECE rod is on it's way. BlueQuill no matter how much I love dealing with them does not take Discover, my only card...which I never carry a balance on. They did hold the rod and I sent them a money order which I have no idea what happened to it but it never got to Colorado. So since I did not hear from them I called and found this out and they still held the rod at a significant discount while I canceled the 1st MO and had the bank issue me a 2nd. It's in the mail. It's like Christmas in August. I'm so excited!

Posted on: 2010/8/16 22:41

Got the rod, It's more than I hoped for and different in the same way. It's stiff. It is the stiffest rod I've used to date...but with the fastest tip flex action I've experienced. I need to get use to letting the rod do the job with this one. It is in the truest sense a nymphing rod. Sink them fast an accurate. I don't think our cat appreciated it. Sorry kitty, had to see if I could hit the tip of his tail! LOL! Yes I do believe this is a keeper. Can't wait to hit the stream. I do believe if I let my son try it out I may never see it again. But a Sage in exchange will do me just fine. I'm no super star fly fisher person but I can feel a great rod when I pick one up and this is super fine I probably can't do this rod justice. What's the word they use now? "SNAP!" It's sweet.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 21:00

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
I probably can't do this rod justice.

Sure you can. Don't sell yourself short. Now go catch a fish with it before the kid does - that'll officially put your "mark" on it.

Congratulations on your new rod!

Posted on: 2010/8/20 7:33

I'm going to check out the Lack for some clean up areas later today so I'll take it along. I'm not ready to part with it just yet. My boy did try it out with my permission and unloaded all of the fly line to the backing, all 100 feet of it. His Dad watched him. When I got home I asked him how he liked it? He just said it's a really nice rod. Then he said he'd take me out next Saturday and he's leave his rod in the car for an hour or so. He's always learning new things so I'm glad he's taken the time to share them with me because I do too. I'm excited to get out and re-tune some skills as well.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 14:35

From Clinton County, Pa.
I have heard good things about Cortland's "Brook Series" 10ft. 4 and 5 weight rods. I understand they are "Fast". IMO would make a good nymphing rod.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 18:10

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
93 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com