Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Looking for a loooong nymphng rod...

From SEPA
Quote:

surveyor06 wrote:
Those Tenkara rods are super long, seems like a nymp fishermans dream. Im planning on getting one, maybe Santa will deliver this year.

When it fails at that role for you, remember I'll buy it off you...

From my reading, tenkara isn't about casting weighted nymphs, but unweighted wets and dries. I believe someone referred to the line as functionally equivilent to a 000wt.

Of course, I don't have one and am speaking out my posterier... So, if you could buy one, become dissatisfied and sell it to me, that'd be awesome.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 14:53

From Glenmoore PA
The question asked was in regards to a long nymphing rod, more specifically, high sticking was mentioned. Im thinking smaller nymphs are going to be employed for this kind of fishing. Certainly, I wouldnt be fishing streamers or large nymphs, but if your looking for a long rod for high sticking, tenkara seems to be a good fit. Not saying its going to work for every situation, but neither is a 10' 4wt. As far as landing fish, I typically fish moderatly sized streams, like Valley and the Little Lehigh, and sometimes the tully. Of all the fish I catch, there, I usually have 3-5 feet of fly line out, and Im not having fish take my line out. I usually use 5x for 6x and rarely get broke off. I think not having a reel would not put me in a huge disadvantage. Plus the simplicity of it seems nice. Just a different style, I dont think it should be over looked

Posted on: 2010/7/22 15:14

From Toona
As of right now I primarily use 8.5 ft 3wt, 8.5 ft 4wt, and a 9ft 5wt. I'm not hating on Tenkara, but I can tie some string and tippet to a stick and do the same thing, it's just not for me (sorry if I offended anyone). I'll try it sometime in the future, just not right now. In my opinion a 10' 4wt would be a do all for how and where I fish, although a 3wt is not out of the question. A lot of the situations I encounter are either fast riffled sections or somewhat deep runs. In the end I hope to find a faster action rod with some backbone to throw weight and to throw it through the wind, but be sensitive enough to detect light pickups and strikes.

Thanks again guys.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 16:44

From Glenmoore PA
No offense taken here, just wanted to give you another option thats all. I think the whole thing looks pretty cool, its suits my style of fishing very well. Best of luck with finding a rod.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 18:13

From Toona
Thanks surveyor, I like the whole Tenkara idea, but like I said, its just not for me. If you get one let me know how it works out for ya.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 18:20

From Glenmoore PA
Will do. Ive only held one, and truth be told, the length is intimidating. There marketing adds are very good though, they have drawn me in.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 19:18

I have had the Streamflex 10' 3 wt for about a year, good rod for the price. It fishes more like a 4 wt than a 3 wt.

Posted on: 2010/7/22 19:33

This is just a question. Why would you prefer a soft tip for nymphing and what about action speed, length?

I'm just curious what everyone thinks makes a good nymphing rod........ Great and not just Brand naming. I'm just talking straight nymphing, nothing else.

You never know when I might want to go shopping.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 21:51

From Eastern PA
harry, that's interesting that you think the Streamflex 3wt fishes like a 4wt. I have the 4wt and think it pretty much performs like a 4wt. Now that Winston 4wt approaches a 6wt in my opinion and I will definitely be over-lining. Kind of a disappointment as I wanted it to double as a nice smaller stream dry fly rod. The up side is that it will perform pretty well as a float boat rod for the D, keeping my backcast out of the water when I am sitting and having back bone for that 20" brown that HAS to happen this year.

wetnet, you want a light weight rod with a soft tip. Frequency of casting/lobbing is much greater with nymphing and often requires more effort to get indi, weighted multi-fly rig out there. Also you will often be extending your arm to guide the nymphs and/or extend drift. The soft tip comes into play allowing you to feel your flies and takes better. Though we often use heavier leader when nymphing, we often do it very short lined and strikes need to be softened to protect the tippet. The softer tip does exactly that.

Posted on: 2010/7/27 0:10

You only answered a part of my question. Action, length and weight. (I added weight) I fish an Orvis T3 5 weight, fast action Tip flex 9', but am thinking about moving to a 10'. I love this rod, it is just so versatile, I can small mouth it, tiny trout it and everything inbetween, but I'd like to go to a 10 foot rod and the T3 has given everything I have asked for it, But I don't like the Helios for me. Since I have a great all around rod, I'd love a 10' nymphing rod. Sage, Winston. Greys it makes no difference to me. I do not want to go below a 4 weight based on where I fish and I don't want to waste time, from net to release. I do not like to play a fish.

Posted on: 2010/7/28 1:52

From Eastern PA
Well here is the rest of your answer . . . I will sell you a slightly used Greys Streamflex 10' 4wt for $200 shipped. It will answer all your questions!

Posted on: 2010/7/28 13:14

Heck, I replied and hit a wrong key. You ship it $200 your cost, I'll try it. If I like it I'll send you your postage back with something added.

I am looking for a 10' no shorter, 4 weight fast action, tip flex but I'll consider a 5. I'll want specks before shipment with confirmation of shipment. Same deal to anyone wanting to clean out there closet. I will warn you we have closets of rods here but I picked out my first rod an Orvis T3 9' 5 weight which I bought in the paper shop. I'm not kidding,,,don't laugh.......I It's a great rod, which I will never part with it. Gosh we have, Sage all kinds, G. Loomis etc. But I picked out this rod really early all on my own and my son who owns the 9/10th of the rod closet still says it is simply a pleasure to fish with and a smooth caster and I did really well picking it out, despite I'm just his Mom with a dissolved brain and sensitivity. It has also never failed, I've caught a 5lb bass on it and we just had a Steelhead rod break first time on a 8 inch bass.

Go figure. So since he and his Dad are going to Montana without me, guys clean out your closet's. Nice time for a 2nd rod, won't be cooking for a week, so ASAP! I don't mind paying more but I do not want a Helios. I love my T3 but there is something about the Helios that may be just too much about me that I don't want one for nymphing.

YES!!! Time to shop!

Posted on: 2010/7/28 23:53

From Chester County
Wetnet & Tuna. Check this from the swap forum:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newb ... p?topic_id=14738&forum=14

Posted on: 2010/7/29 7:11

From Lehigh Valley
wetnet - Just an FYI...

That Streamflex rod that jdaddy is offering for $200 is the exact same model rod that Scott Nellins from the UK team used back in 2007. I got to try Scott's, and it was terrific!

$200 for that rod is a very fair price, and I know jdaddy - I'll vouch for him (not that he needs it).

If I didn't already have my Sage 99 4wt, I'd be all over that deal if you didn't want it.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 8:46

From Eastern PA
Wetnet, I did not see your reply before Tuna sent me a PM on the rod. Sorry but if he decides not to buy it I will let you know.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 12:08

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com