Look for my first setup

S

slion

I'm looking to buy my first fly rod etc. Anyone have any suggestion that wont break the bank. Just something to start out on. I obviously would not like a junker (if there are any), but would like not to get top of the line. Any suggestions would be good. Thank you

slion,
To some degree, your first rod ought to be a compromise based largely on what type of fishing you intend to do the most. If you live here in PA and intend to use your fly rod predominately for trout fishing, my recommendation would be a rod in the 8 to 8.5 foot range for a 5 WT line. A floating, weight forward line will cover most bases - this is often abbreviated on the box as "WF 5F." This rod will cover virtually all trout fishing duties well and can hold it's own for bass and warmwater fish. As your dedication increases and as budget allows, you might want another rod or two in bigger and smaller sizes (maybe a short 3WT and a longer 8WT). As for price, you ought to be able to get a decent set-up for a $100-150 or so, including line and backing. Cabelas has a nice selection of reasonably priced rods and reels and you might check some of the online auction sites. Don't feel you need a disc drag or large arbor reel. They're more expensive and trout fishing doesn't require this.

This was my first rod. Back then it came with a walnut reel seat and the rod was 100 alone. I broke one once and they sent me a new one. This was a great rod to learn with and I still use it pretty regularly. Its an even better deal now for beginners as it comes with reel and line. And no plastic.

I do stand corrected..the reel is composite and has a click drag. Cabela's is still selling Prestige reels for 15 bucks if you'd rather.

Always a tough decision. If you plan on sticking with the sport, you don't want something so cheap that it will be replaced within months. Nomatter what you choose, you will end up upgrading, but you want something that will always be useful in your arsenal. Stay away from the Walmarts of the world. Go to a reputable fly shop in your area, get some pointers from the shop owner, and test cast a few.

The Cortland GRX is a winner for the money, they are fairly cheap, and I've seen these on occasion at Dick's, and quite a few fly shops carry Cortland. Might be a bit fast action for a beginner, though, you want to test it and see if you like it better or worse than other rods. Stick with the cheaper models of good brands. Loomis, Sage, Cortland, Orvis, TFO, etc, all of their rods are pretty good. Cabelas and Bass Pro (White River Fly Shops) have some nice stuff and some not so nice stuff.

For standard trout fishing in PA, a 9 ft 5 wt is pretty standard. If you're fishing smaller streams more often, you might want to go with an 8 or 8.5 ft rod, but if you'll be primarily on bigger water, stick with 9 ft. They are easier to cast, especially for a beginner. If you want as a trout/bass hybrid, you could think about a 6 wt or even a 7 wt, but for my first rod, I wouldn't go lighter than a 5 wt.

As for the reel, unless you plan on jumping in on steelhead or something, you can skimp here. If it balances the rod, so that the balance point is on the cork or just above, its fine. For regular trout, a reel is little more than a place to hold line.

Get a Weight Forward (WF) line to match the weight ranking of the reel and rod, doesn't so much matter on the line just yet. Get the fly shop to load the backing and line.

I would say go with a 9 ft 5 wt as well. Go to cabelas you can get a combo with rod, reel and line for a little over one hundred bucks. You don't need a sage or any higher end model right now. You never know you may not like it and then You have 300-500 dollars worth of gear. I have a cableas traditional and it works just fine for me.

My advise is to get a budget on how much you want to spend, and go from there. You'll be lucky to get in with just an outfit for under $150. Go to a place where they can give you advice on the products. Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Orvis, etc. I just got my brother in law his first setup at Cabela's a few months ago. I believe it was called a Genesis. Rod, reel, line, backing, 2 leaders, split shot, indicators, floatant, 25 flies, hip pack, nippers, hemo's, for under $150. Not the best outfit in the world, but will get you started. If you don't get this all bundled up, you will have to buy everything else separetly. Flies are espensive if you buy them, especially when you have nothing, Waders, chest pack, fly boxes, net, plus everything above. It is a FANTASTIC sport, but the entry cost is up there. Just wait till you're addicted and buy 3 more rods and reels, start tying your own flies ($50 just for a wing of feathers!) and spend the gas $ just to travel to go to new places. All in all have fun, and ask plenty of questions on here. The guys here are more than knowledgable and help you with any questions you have.

Ryan

It's tough to recommend a rod without knowing what type of fish you will be targeting and what type of water you will be fishing. Also, what is your budget? I think the previous posters gave good suggestions, however without the above info you are gonna get a bunch of recommendations that may not be suitable for what you are looking to do. With that said I am somewhat new to the sport myself, just started in May and my first rod was a 9ft 6wt. I used that rod for various situations and caught fish, from tiny brookie streams to chasing smallies on the delaware/susky. Was it the perfect rod for all situations no, no rod will be. It was too much rod for the brookie streams and barely enough rod to punch large clousers through the wind on the delaware but I made do. So what fish will you be targeting and what type of water will you be fishing?

Like so many others have stated I got a complete setup in 5WT from Cabela's that even included leader, strike indicator and some good all season flies that has served me well. For fly's check out theflystop.com there prices, service and quality are unbeatable.

I started out about a year and a half ago, maybe more and learned on my own. I started out with this: http://tinyurl.com/9wqte2
I had no problem learning on it and I caught plenty of fish. I had the 8'6" 5 weight. I caught wild browns on it and some giant rainbows. If you are sure that your going to stick with it no matter what(that's how I was), then I would probably go with something like this:http://tinyurl.com/7btaad
I have a Lefty Kreh series one 8'6" 4 weight that replaced my cabelas rod when the reel seat fell apart. If you plan to spend more than that, another choice would be this:
http://tinyurl.com/8wvoe3
I have a 7' 3 weight and it is a really nice rod. I'm sure the larger models are just as nice. The quality is really good and it's made in the USA. It's also a little bit faster action. Thats as far as my knowledge goes since those are the only rods I have owned. I still fish with the TFO for nymphing and the St. Croix makes me happy everytime I cast it. Heres a picture of a rainbow I caught on the cabelas setup and one of the TFO.

EDIT: I noticed what ryguyfi said about fly tying. I bought my first flies then came on here and heard about 1,000,000 different patterns that everyone was using and figured that I would never be able to buy all of those in a bunch of hook sizes so I would start tying them....well I ended up paying for all of those flies in all of those sizes, now I just have to tie them first.

Spend more on the rod than the reel for sure!
A $100 - $200 rod will last a pretty long time and you won't be disapointed.
I know people say cast different rods and get what feels good, but I have never casted a rod that I couldn't fish with.

For 95% of trout fishing the reel is only a device to hold your line. Don't spend any more than you have to on your reel for your starter outfit. I'll second MKern's comment that if you splurge on anything, it should be the rod.

MKern wrote:
Spend more on the rod than the reel for sure!
A $100 - $200 rod will last a pretty long time and you won't be disapointed.
I know people say cast different rods and get what feels good, but I have never casted a rod that I couldn't fish with.

My first fly rod was a martin 5 wt I got from wal-mart. I learned to cast and fish with that rod and did pretty good with it.

Also I don't think a beginner really knows what they are looking for by just casting a bunch of rods. Get something economically sound. If you really fall in love with fly fishing then go out and splurge.

As a side note,
this debate is currently ongoing with my best friend.
I built him a 2 wt. for being my best man in my wedding and told him to get the $30 SA 3-5 wt. reel from Walmart. (I purchaced one from cabela's years ago and then saw it at Walmart for $5 less, and minus the shipping)
Yes it's slightly heavy, but for a brookie rod it is sufficient. Plus it won't be loaded down with backing.

However, another friend of ours is telling him to buy a really light weight reel for $100, so the rod is perfectly balanced.

Stick with the cheap reel, my most expensive reel is $120 and I got it for $60 off the company's rep. It looks perfect on my rods that are priceless to me.

My most expensive reel is around $260 but that is my saltwater reel. Which has to have certain components to handle saltwater. My freshwater reels are Ross's for $90 bucks. Don't see the sense in going nuts on a reel for trout IMHO. When I bought those reels I actually felt guilty for spending $90 on both of them. :-(

As stated above, spend the money on rods, not reels. I think it's crazy to spend over $50 on a stream trout reel.

This is one hell of a setup for the price, and from our very own Swap Forum! The rod may be one that you have to "grow" into but it's worth the price IMHO. Irf you don't like it, you should easily be able to sell this.

The Okuma Sierra Reel has a very solid drag and it's tough to beat SA Mastery Series line.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5911&forum=14

Jaybo,

You beat me to it. I was just coming here to recommend he look into this. I agree the Okuma is not top notch but is very servicable for a first reel. I have one that I havn't used in a while but it served me well for quite a few years.

For trout its just a line holder anyway. And the drag does work if you hook into a 20" trout.

Would I buy another one...no. But I don't regret having the one I do. Its a good back up that I put on my sons 7'5" cortland 4/5. Its my back up/back up (third level) small stream rod.

The rod goes for well over $150

That is a good deal!!!

Mo, I couldn't agree more about what you said regarding the Okuma Sierra, very well said. This was my serious first trout reel and is still used as a solid backup.

Just checked Cabelas for prices on the Avid Series rods, $250 for the 8'6 5wt and the line alone is at least $50.

There are different schools of thought as to how much to spend for a first outfit, and I'll share my experiences.

First rod/reel was a cheapie from Wal Mart, which served me well for one season. After that, I knew I serious about fly fishing and then purchased a St. Croix 5wt and paired it with the Okuma Sierra. Eventually I outgrew the rod and lost the cermet on the stripping guide and am now using the Sage Launch as my 5wt. After years of fly fishing you accumulate gear so getting everything you need takes time, much like building a collection of tying materials and equipment.

Where I'm going with this is that I spent a lot of money to get a good rod, although the setups I had serviced me well when I first started. True, there will be more that he will need to purchase, fly box, flies, nipper, foreceps, tippet, leaders but this is a great setup at a deep discounted price that can be used for years! You can fill a fly box with essential patterns for 50-60 bucks from flystop.com. By the way I have no affiliation with them, but I do purchase flys there because they're quality ties with good hooks and they're priced extremely well.

One bad thing about used rods is that if the warranty card has already been sent in, the warranty is voided. Still a SOLID first setup depending on the target species IMHO.

My first rod was a sage discovery series DS805 (8 ft 5 wt). it was $125 twenty years ago or so. And a cortland rimfly reel. I've said before and will say it again...It did everything good and nothing well. I am using it now for my "heavy" rod while I have a guide repaired on my 9' 5wt.

If I had to do it again, I'd recommend a 8'6" five wt for the first rod.

and don't sell the warrranty short...he never said he sent in the warranty card. I have had probably a half dozen rods repaired or replaced and never sent in a warranty card on any of them. I don't think they check...although none of them were St Croix.

Nevertheless....you can't go wrong with St Croix. Christian always praised them and I trust his word...even though he reels with his right hand. :lol: Frankly, I thinks its a republican thing. :-D

Back