Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Look for my first setup

From Suburban Pittsburgh
This is one hell of a setup for the price, and from our very own Swap Forum! The rod may be one that you have to "grow" into but it's worth the price IMHO. Irf you don't like it, you should easily be able to sell this.

The Okuma Sierra Reel has a very solid drag and it's tough to beat SA Mastery Series line.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newb ... hp?topic_id=5911&forum=14

Posted on: 2009/1/6 20:32

From Dallastown, PA
Jaybo,

You beat me to it. I was just coming here to recommend he look into this. I agree the Okuma is not top notch but is very servicable for a first reel. I have one that I havn't used in a while but it served me well for quite a few years.

For trout its just a line holder anyway. And the drag does work if you hook into a 20" trout.

Would I buy another one...no. But I don't regret having the one I do. Its a good back up that I put on my sons 7'5" cortland 4/5. Its my back up/back up (third level) small stream rod.

The rod goes for well over $150

Posted on: 2009/1/6 21:10

That is a good deal!!!

Posted on: 2009/1/6 21:19

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Mo, I couldn't agree more about what you said regarding the Okuma Sierra, very well said. This was my serious first trout reel and is still used as a solid backup.

Just checked Cabelas for prices on the Avid Series rods, $250 for the 8'6 5wt and the line alone is at least $50.

There are different schools of thought as to how much to spend for a first outfit, and I'll share my experiences.

First rod/reel was a cheapie from Wal Mart, which served me well for one season. After that, I knew I serious about fly fishing and then purchased a St. Croix 5wt and paired it with the Okuma Sierra. Eventually I outgrew the rod and lost the cermet on the stripping guide and am now using the Sage Launch as my 5wt. After years of fly fishing you accumulate gear so getting everything you need takes time, much like building a collection of tying materials and equipment.

Where I'm going with this is that I spent a lot of money to get a good rod, although the setups I had serviced me well when I first started. True, there will be more that he will need to purchase, fly box, flies, nipper, foreceps, tippet, leaders but this is a great setup at a deep discounted price that can be used for years! You can fill a fly box with essential patterns for 50-60 bucks from flystop.com. By the way I have no affiliation with them, but I do purchase flys there because they're quality ties with good hooks and they're priced extremely well.

One bad thing about used rods is that if the warranty card has already been sent in, the warranty is voided. Still a SOLID first setup depending on the target species IMHO.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 22:39

From Dallastown, PA
My first rod was a sage discovery series DS805 (8 ft 5 wt). it was $125 twenty years ago or so. And a cortland rimfly reel. I've said before and will say it again...It did everything good and nothing well. I am using it now for my "heavy" rod while I have a guide repaired on my 9' 5wt.

If I had to do it again, I'd recommend a 8'6" five wt for the first rod.

and don't sell the warrranty short...he never said he sent in the warranty card. I have had probably a half dozen rods repaired or replaced and never sent in a warranty card on any of them. I don't think they check...although none of them were St Croix.

Nevertheless....you can't go wrong with St Croix. Christian always praised them and I trust his word...even though he reels with his right hand. Frankly, I thinks its a republican thing.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 23:41

From Chester County
This looks like a great 1st fly outfit from the "Swap Forum":

Swap Forum

Posted on: 2009/1/7 8:14

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
This looks like a great 1st fly outfit from the "Swap Forum":

Swap Forum

Ah yeah....good find Tom. Go back to page one and catch up.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 8:47

The first question you need to answer is what do you want to fly fish for?

If you are primarily interested in fishing for trout a good all around rod for 95% of the trout streams in PA is a medium or medium-fast action 8.5 or 9 foot 5 weight rod. This rod can also serve as a light duty bass rod.

If you are primarily interested in fishing for bass with occasional trout fishing, a good all around rod is a medium fast or fast action 9 foot 6 weight rod. If strictly for bass go 7 weight.

As for brands of rods - buyer beware. There are well-designed $75 rods and poorly designed $250 rods. One brand that you cannot go wrong with is Temple Fork. For the price they make a very nice and fishable rod.

Their entry-level rod is the Lefty Kreh Signature Series ($99.95). After that there is the Professional Series ($149.95) and then the Finesse Series ($179.95). The Professional series is a medium-fast action rod and the Finesse series has more of a traditional medium action.

My personal suggestion would be to check out the PA fly shop link on this site and go to one of the fly shops listed. As previously said, there are good and bad rods and price is not an indicator of how good a rod truly is. Someone knowledgeable will be able to point you in the right direction for your budget and type of fishing you plan on doing. Assuming you are interested in trout fishing on typical PA streams, you don’t want to buy a rod that excels at casting 60+ feet of line because most of your fishing is going to be done in the 15- 40 foot range. Get a rod that is designed to excel within the range you intend to use it. This is the single biggest mistake most people make - buying a rod that that isn’t designed for the type of fishing they are using it.

Also, I would suggest taking a few casting lessons to learn the basics. While there are books and videos out there, nothing will help you faster than 1 or 2 casting lessons. You may think your doing what the book or video says but someone watching you will quickly be able to correct your mistakes.

As for reels, for 95% of PA trout fishing a reel serves no other purpose than to hold the line; however, this does not mean to get the cheapest piece of junk out there.

The most important factor when purchasing a reel is to get a reel that balances the rod you purchased. Some reels can be too light and others can be too heavy and what balances one rod might not balance another rod. A more expensive reel might not be the best reel for the rod you bought just as a cheap one might not be either.

As for reel brands, the Temple Fork Cartridge series reel goes for $49.95. Other good reels are the Ross Flystart ($50-$60 depending on size), Ross Flycast ($75 - $90) and Ross Flyrise ($95 - $110) and the Lamson Konic (about $120.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 10:18

Too much info and not enough at the same time.

If you don't have a clue as to what you want or what you will be fishing for, don't buy anything.

If you have to buy a rod, I disagree with shorter rods. Stick with a standard 9' rod 5 weight. (Sorry guys but I beg to differ using a shorter rod when learning. ) Redington makes some really nice rods and reels, in fact I still have the reel I learned on and still was using it. Santa gave me a new one and it still performs great. New it was $30. Line is expensive. That is where your $$$ will go. Get yourself some good line without going over board. Do not go with double tapered. Just weight forward line. When and if you buy a package, everyone here is great and can hook you up with anything else you'll need.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 15:26

Quote:

wetnet wrote:
Too much info and not enough at the same time.

If you don't have a clue as to what you want or what you will be fishing for, don't buy anything.

If you have to buy a rod, I disagree with shorter rods. Stick with a standard 9' rod 5 weight. (Sorry guys but I beg to differ using a shorter rod when learning. ) Redington makes some really nice rods and reels, in fact I still have the reel I learned on and still was using it. Santa gave me a new one and it still performs great. New it was $30. Line is expensive. That is where your $$$ will go. Get yourself some good line without going over board. Do not go with double tapered. Just weight forward line. When and if you buy a package, everyone here is great and can hook you up with anything else you'll need.

Wetnet what streams do you fish?

I fish a lot of streams near me that can range from 15-20 feet wide with a boat load of brush and overhang. I did my own little experimentation this summer with my 7.5 ft and 8.5 ft. For me the 7.5 ft was a better match for the streams I was fishing. Casting room, overhangs, brush were all factors in my experiment. The 7.5 ft was more efficient. I could get the fly exactly where I wanted it more so than the 8.5 ft. Rod size and weight is about where and what your fishing for. If I were fishing the loyalsock I would use a 9 ft 5 wt. Fishing a stream like Valley Creek which is about a 1/10 the size of the Loyalsock with a boat load of brush and overhangs and SUPER PARANOID wild brownies I am using a 7.5 ft. If you live by big water then a 9 ft 5 wt is a great rod. If you live near small streams that can get very constrictive your gonna have to match the stream size.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 17:14

Like I said too much and not enough information. He never said what streams he planned to fish. Standard streams for a newbie I'd still suggest a 9' 5wt.

I love the 2nd part though!

I don't fish from a boat, I fish small streams (less than 20 feet across) and I love a long rod. (Boys Behave!!!) I nymph. I'd love a 10' rod. All of the streams I fish are small. I'm just getting into some of the bigger streams and I'll be bugging all of you for help.

Even with all that when someone is just getting started a 9' rod is easier to flip cast and for awhile that's all you need to do to get hooked. Also a 9' rod is easier to learn casting techniques. Sorry unless your a bit more advanced short rods suck! Did I say that? Yes for someone starting out "They Suck!"

Never said I was good but I sure can remember being worse.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 18:28

From Greensburg, PA
I agree with wetnet...8.5 to 9ft rod in a 5wt is gonna be a way better all around rod. If you go small, in addition to it being easier to learn to cast on a longer rod, there are some fish you just can;t even bother with. You can fish for almost anything with a 9ft 5wt. I only had one rod for nearly 10 years and that was it.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 18:47

I hear ya's........Never said I disagreed with a 9ft 5 wt. Reference my post on page one. I don't know from my own experience if it is easier to learn on a 9 or a shorter rod. I have a couple of friends that grew up fishing shorter rods due to the streams they were fishing and learned on them too. I like my 7.5 but I also picked up casting rather quickly due to having a good teacher.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 19:19

Don't try to soften me up with the Phillies. My younger non- addictive to fishing is looking to play BB at Penn State as a pitcher in a couple of years. All 6'4" of him. His Mother, who I won't mention has been fierce since he grew so big and so fast to protect him from over zealous coaches. He is more mature now and his arm is still in tact. He'll never go pro but Man he throws a wicked 3/4 side arm and always has. When bases are loaded they call him in. He is the ice man. Like everyone else he justs wants to play ball!

Speaking of that. I have 2 sons that are the best of friends. They don't like the same things.

I hope I did good!

Posted on: 2009/1/7 22:38

From Greensburg, PA
ok, so if your 6'4"son could have only one rod for the rest of his life...would it be a shorty 3wt or a 9ft 5wt...

Posted on: 2009/1/7 23:30

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
95 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com