Line for Winston BIIX

M

mr7183

I've recently came across a new BIIX (yes, the one that was discontinued a few years ago) for a really good price. It's an 8ft 4wt.

I've made the decision to pair it with a Ross Evo 1.5 (thoughts?), but I'm really struggling on what the right line is for this rod. Anybody have any suggestions?

I have the 8.5 ' 4 wt BIIX and use a few different lines on it. My primary line is a WF4F Cortland 444 that will be swapped out soon for an Airflow Ridgeline Tactical Trout WF4. I've also used the Cortland 444 DT4 on it, and it felt OK.
When I first got it about 6 years ago, I fished a RIO Gold WF4 several years until the tip started cracking.
Your rod should work great with just about any WF4, or DT4 for that matter.
I loved the 8' 4 wt and the 8.5 foot 5 wt in the BIIX, as well. The Ross will balance that rod well - I have the Cimarron, but envy you for the Evo:)
Enjoy.

Thanks Matt,

Any opinions on a Sharkskin GPX WF4?

I don't care for the Sharkskin lines - I have the WF5, and it sits coiled in the closet. If I ever use it again, it will be for streamers on my 6 wt. Just my $0.02
The Sci Anglers regular GPX line is nice, though its a half size heavier than standard, so you'd be looking at a 4.5 weight. It depends what your average casting distance is. I have a GPX taper on my 6 wt now, but it's a faster rod than the BIIX.
If you're near Carlisle, you're welcome to try casting a few of the lines I have spooled up. If not, a local shop should have one of the lines they sale on a reel you could try.

I have the same rod ,I have an orvis line on it ,no complaints

Matt,

If you plan to strip streamers with that sharkskin, tape your fingers before heading out. That stuff chews through your skin.

All my Winston BIIx and BIIIx rods are fished with Rio Gold. Its just right for the Winston Boron rods.

Ron

So of course I second guessed all my decisions!

Ended up getting a Nautilus FWX 3/4 and the SA GPX.

The SA GPX is not a bad line although I think it feels heavy on the Boron rods but you will be fine. Try the Rio Gold at some point. Its true to weight and casts very nice on the Winston Boron rods.

Ron

Ron, will do and thanks for the advice. I have RIO Gold on my WT and like it, just wanted to switch it up a bit.

I also heard the Rio Perception is a very good line on the Winston Boron rods. I plan to try that sometime soon.

Ron

Back