Life vests

I

Irv

Just took a humiliating and somewhat scary dunking and beginning to realize that at 75 years - I'm just a tad unsteady in fast water. Any views on personal flotation devices (life vests) would be welcome. I'm considering a collar-type arrangement, automatic inflation - shouldn't get in the way of my minimalist gear (arroyo chestpak, with net hanging down the back).. Thanks in advance.

Cabelas sells 2 floatation type fishing vests. They look like a normal vest, not cumbersome looking at all.

I wear an auto inflating PFD when operating my bass boat a high speeds. You may want to consider a manual inflating vest in the event you fall in shallow water and accidentally inflate the unit. Recharging kits run about $20.

Thanks for that info. I hadn't thought about a manual, but your comment on falling in shallow water is very appropriate, since I'm trying to confine my wading to water less than thigh deep - not that you can't get in trouble in that sort of depth, but my days of chest deep wading are long gone. By the way - I haven't fished up in your neck of the woods for several years - but have fond memories of Big Springs as well as many of the superb waters in south central Pennsylvania. Perhaps, I'll make a pilgrimage to the area in the autumn. Irv

25+ years ago my father and I went to the Martin's Creek area of the Delaware river to fish for shad. I had chest waders on and it was the ONLY DAY IN MY LIFE I wore a floatation vest while wading from shore. I was on a sand bar when the bottom dropped out and my waders filled up. Someone was watching out for me......

There are several manufacturers that make floatation vests that look similar to standard fly fishing vests. Look on the internet.

Back