Leader Observations

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

Haven't fished much since the fall, but ready to dive back in the deep end now that spring has arrived.

As I reflect back on the times I fished last year toward the end of the season, my fish counts were down. I knew I was a little less patient, but my mechanics and processes were the same, so I was a little puzzled about it.

So just like when you have a problem with a computer or software, I thought "what's different - something had to change." But the challenge was figuring out what. It took me a while, but I think I am onto something, and I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience.

In the summer, I tend to fish a lot of warm water, so I don't get too overly technical with my hand tied leaders. A smallmouth or a sunfish will eat a popper now what what it is tied to, right? So I bought some Cortland brand tippet - using the 3x and 4x for my leaders. I tied some trout leaders with it too, since I kept it all at my tying table.

In restocking some supplies recently, I purchase all new Orvis Superstrong tippet and tied up a leader just for my trip to the Gunpowder. 4 fish in hand, 2 LDRs, and 3 misses. Can't be a coincidence, can it?

Steve

BelAirSteve wrote:
I knew I was a little less patient, but my mechanics and processes were the same, so I was a little puzzled about it.

Sound like you were expectign to just show up and start catching fish. When that happens to me I usually don't do well. Even if it seems like you were doing everything right, you probably were not doing it as well as when you had better focus. I also find myself thinking less and getting lazy in making adjustments to my rigging and technique when I get into one of these phases.

Your brand of tippet wasn't a factor, but perhpas just changing it up a little caused you to start concentrating more.

Spring time is also easier fishing than late in the year.

Kev

Spring time might be easier but not as much FUN!!!!

osprey wrote:
Spring time might be easier but not as much FUN!!!!
I agree , I love fishing terrestrials and the trico hatches during the summer.

Back