Leader Building

thebassman

thebassman

Hey Guys,

So I hear that building your leaders is a lot better than buying the tapered knot-less ones. My thing is what do I need to do this? Should I pick up the Maxima kit? or is there a better one. Heritage Angler made me one for tricos last year and it cast like a dream. I am also wanting to make a few for nymphing that has a indicator system built into it.

Just wondering what you guys have in mind.

Steven

Go with a furled leader. I just switched over to them from building my own leaders. I like um alot. A lot less knot tying. But it's all personal preference.

Dear Bassman,

If you decide you want to tie your own leaders Flyfisher's Paradise in State College sells a nice leader tying kit. You get Maxima Chameleon for the upper 2/3's of the leader and Climax for the tippet sections along with a booklet with formulas and instructions.

I'd suggest you get a Dennison Blood Knot tool too. It makes things much easier when you are working with the heavier pound test butt sections of the leaders.

What's in the kit is the same stuff they use to tie their store branded leaders which I have been tying myself and using for over 30 years. They are based on George Harvey's leader formulas.

Alternately, you can just go to a shop and buy 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10 pound test Maxima and your favorite tippet and start tying your own if you don't want a complete kit.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

With furled leaders you have to use a flotant when fishing on top right?? Never have used a furled leader.

Give Mike a call at Cutthroat Leaders he will answer all your questions. His leaders are amazing!

You can use fly - specific material (ie maxima, rio climax, etc) but I also use plain old mono, esp the colored ones like stren, for indicator sections. generally they are higher pound test so don't have to worry about strength like the tippet sections.
Also, if you have a micrometer you might want to take it to the shoop and check diameters before you buy, esp with Maxima.
If you have a good trico leader just measure the section length and diameter and your good to go.

Steven - That leader I gave you was from the leader book Tim Murphy mentioned above.

FFP may sell you the book by itself - they did for me. It was just a couple bucks, and has some great formulas in it.

In lieu of this, they also sell those hand tied leaders for a reasonable price. By just replacing the tippet sections, they should last for years.

H.A.

Back