lead formulas.

gfen

gfen

occasionally i offer up something useful.

this is one of those occasions.

does someone here have a set of harvey authoured numbers, everytime i stumble across one i find that its been "modified" to taste by the poster.

Attachments

• leaders-joe.gif
    leaders-joe.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 7
  • leaders-heck.gif
    leaders-heck.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 3
  • leaders-bergman.gif
    leaders-bergman.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 3
Well-I was going to tell you how to convert it to gold but that's not what you want.

I've already got a Philosopher's Stone, gimme something I need.

How fast do you need it? I could ask around and have something for you in a few days.

When it shows up, I'll be happy to add it to the collection of ones I'm putting together.

FWIW, I imagine the Humphreys versions are superior to the Harvey versions, they fished the same way and Humphreys is evidently just advancing the cause, but I'd like to add them to my information so I can keep better track of it.

good stuff there Gfen, been looking for something like this recently...thanks

Here is an article by Harvey on his own modification of his leader formula. I would love to see a copy of the 1980's Fly Fisherman article if any one knows of a source.
http://www.flyfisherman.com/content/harveys-new-leader-formula

FrequentTyer wrote:
Here is an article by Harvey on his own modification of his leader formula. I would love to see a copy of the 1980's Fly Fisherman article if any one knows of a source.
http://www.flyfisherman.com/content/harveys-new-leader-formula

I can scan it if you tell me the month.

jdaddy wrote:
is all this #OOPS# not in leadercalc?

Its all so very, very fiddly. This is simple. I like simple.

Thanks gfen,
I'll try that 7'6'' pocket water. This is a hard river to fish right here. It's crystal clear with rocks sticking up everywhere. If you make a long cast, your casting over rocks, if the water gets over the rocks then it turns deadly.

jdaddy wrote:
Ya. Macs suck.

Will not rise to bait.

Just opened leadercalc to see if I was unjustly annoyed, and no way, dude, its just too much. I don't need all that, like I just want the simple. A bench mark without having do like.. icon stuff.

also excel gives me fits of rage with job.

gfen wrote:

Will not rise to bait.

Even with such a drag free drift?

IDK. I found leadercalc to be pretty awesome and Sheen easy to use. But hey, you have your project so have at it. If you need me to run some complex formulas let me know.

jdaddy wrote:
Even with such a drag free drift?

IDK. I found leadercalc to be pretty awesome and Sheen easy to use. But hey, you have your project so have at it. If you need me to run some complex formulas let me know.

i dunno, i do it to relax. that's like work. i

I'm interested in trying these tapers, they have lighter and shorter butts than I useualy tie. My 7 1/2 ft. have 24" of .019 and the 9 ft. have 36" of .021 .

I used Harvey's original leader formula for years - then switched over to his new formula when I read this article in FFM. Thought it was a little better.
A few years after that, I came across another leader formula that used a 36" piece of Orvis Hy flote for the butt section - supposed to be a dry fly leader. So, I bought the materiel needed and gave it a try. It's all I use now.

I like my leaders to sink when fishing dry flies, If they're in the surface film on a sunny day you can even see the shadow of the leader on the bottom of the stream.

buffalo7 wrote:
I like my leaders to sink when fishing dry flies, If they're in the surface film on a sunny day you can even see the shadow of the leader on the bottom of the stream.

Mend?

Like DFG, I used the hy-flote for a long time. I now use furled butts greased up for both dries and nymphing.

Don't get caught up into too many leader formulas. My suggestion is to try a few to see how they perform and tweak them using common sense. Less butt longer taper & tippet = more slack. Longer butt shorter taper & tippet = better turnover. Try to find a mid-point between the two where you can throw a controlled slack cast when you need to, yet can also turn over a fly.

All the above has to be done on the water.....not on the computer.

Good luck.

afishinado wrote:
All the above has to be done on the water.....not on the computer.

And it has to be done on the water for a particular fly in a particular situation (type of cast, density of fly, wind, etc)! I'm far from an expert, but in the time I have been working with tied leaders I have been really surprised at how much a difference you can make with leader modification on the stream.

Back