LA vs SA reels

jlsmithii

jlsmithii

i've been thinking about this recently and wonder what the members of this forum think.
is it better to get a large arbor reel or a regular arbor reel? bear in mind the following...
large arbor reels tend to cost more, are bulkier, and don't hold as much backing. LA reels, though have quicker line pick up and less line memory, and more constant drag.
but, with a regular arbor reel, once you have added suffient backing, you essentially have a large arbor reel and you have the benefit of having more backing should the need arise.

am i missing something or is there a benefit to the LAs that i have missed?

as a caveat, i own both regular and LA reels (i've also noticed quite a bit of variance in what constitutes are LA).

Dear jlsmith,

I think you've pretty much hit on the differences and similarities between large arbor and standard arbor reels with one notable exception.

While you noticed that some of the reels billed as LA's are nothing but reduced capacity reels you didn't mention the reason why? The real LA reels are wider than a standard arbor reel. If a reel is 3 1/2 inches in diameter and 7/8 of an inch wide the arbor diameter is of no consequence. Make that reel 1 1/8 inch wide and it becomes a real LA because the increased width maintains the large arbor advantage longer as line is pulled off or retrieved.

Personally, I think that in most cases LA's don't have any real advantages for most fishing. With an albacore they make a difference, with a trout it's just a marketing ploy designed to get people to get rid of perfectly good reels to buy a new one.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Personally, I think that in most cases LA's don't have any real advantages for most fishing. With an albacore they make a difference, with a trout it's just a marketing ploy designed to get people to get rid of perfectly good reels to buy a new one.

Yeah, I'd buy that. I could see getting one for steelhead, salmon or saltwater. But trout or bass? Nah... they don't run that far.

To muddy the waters though... I have a narrow arbor reel. That's pretty cool. When you are reeling in, you don't have to worry about the line bunching up on one spot. Sad thing is, I think it was DC'ed. I guess the idea didn't catch on.

Padraic - The idea of a narrow arbor reel isn't dead. Abel released a new reel for 2007 that's called the Super 5N (for narrow arbor). It was designed for the advantages you describe. A truley fiery bargain at only $550. Maybe the other reel manufacturers will follow suit and produce some less expensive examples of this idea......Ed :cool:

I too fell for the LA marketing when I replaced a bunch of reels a few years back. Do they have their advantages, I guess so but the last three reels I bought are all SA.

My BIGGEST reason for buying them was to reduce the line coils. BUT since I started buying super limp lines like SA XPS and Rio Selective Trout, I have found that line coils are more about coatings and less about arbors.

AND, what Tim said about width is right on. The ABSOLUTE dumbest reason to choose one reel over another is looks, although I do it all the time. ;-)

Some of LA's out there are wider than my baitcasters and have a diameter about the size of a saucer. IMHO they look kinda dumb sitting on the end of a trout rod.

I like the LA reels better. I mainly fish the upper Delaware and often have fish that find the backing. I also like the quicker line pickup and smooth drag. For small streams I use SA reels when a reel is just a tool to hold the line.

some food for thought:

From the orvis webpage specs:

to keep it apples to apples in comparison all specs are for the III model (based on 6wt line) and backing is 20 lbs orvis dacron.

price size line pick up backing (yds)

Battenkill LA $198.00 5.25 oz 11" 50

Battenkill MA $119.00 5.8 oz 3.25 " 75

Battenkill SA $119.00 3.75 oz 3" 100 yds

so based on these figures the battenkill LA does have some advantages over the SA but the tradeoff is a pricier and bigger reel. as for the midarbor, not seeing much advantage (i must admit i own one). based on these specs, i would also submit that many other brands' LAs are really more in the midarbor range (ross BG 3.75", Lamson litespeen 3.75", Abel super -6 3.75", Tibor everglades 3.75", etc.)

I just purchased the Cortland Endurance reel ($100). It comoes in a foam case and instead of spare spools, it comes with cassettes. My Endurance real comes with one large arbor and one small arbor spool -- best of both worlds.
1 of the other Cortland reels (maybe it is TSI) is $85, and comes with the same set up.

I like the LA’s for Saltwater and only then because, when a fish turns and runs back towards you it is very important that the reel can pick up a lot of line quickly.

Joe E

Back