Kold Kutter Studs

D

Dale49

Quick question and I know this has been covered a lot:

I have Simms Rivershed wading boots - what size Kold Kutter studs will work the best and not break thru the inner sole: 3/8 or 1/2 or both?

Thanks in advance.

Dale

1/2 should be fine. I use 3/8 in my Freestones but the next pair of Freestone boots will have 1/2" studs in them. With the 3/8 I replace the missing studs once or twice a year usually it's only a handful of studs between the 2 boots. I will never buy any other studs for my boots. By far the best I've found.

Quick question........ Do you or has anyone ever tried tapping a tiny hole prior to installing the screws and adding a little squirt of shoe goo or 5 minute expoxy to help them stay in better. Was considering that on the felt sole guide boots i just picked up.

Thanks Delta, 1/2 inch Kold Kutters will be purchased.

Dale

I have the same boot and I put the 3/8" ones in. They are really great studs.
Bill

Quick question........ Do you or has anyone ever tried tapping a tiny hole prior to installing the screws and adding a little squirt of shoe goo or 5 minute expoxy to help them stay in better. Was considering that on the felt sole guide boots i just picked up. Posted on: Today 15:01

Andy, I thought about doing the same thing but the problem is the studs do wear down (round off) especially around the ball of your foot and the outer edges and need to be replaced. Sounds easy enough but when they wear down the only way to remove them is with vise grips. I think gluing them in would make this even harder.

There's enough spots to install them though so iI'd just add fresh near the old ones. I might try it and will update on the good or bad results.

kray, I put a spot of aqua seal on each kold kutter before screwing them in. No problem taking them out. I always use a cordless screwdriver to put them in and take them out. BTW I have used the 5/8" length for years in various brands of boots with no poke through problems. I haven't lost a stud in a long time.

Andy you have greater flexibility as far as stud placement with felt. If you use them for more than a few seasons they could double as anchors also. :-D

I have the freestones, and put the studs in them…have you guys ever had a problem with them rusting?

If your studs are rusting that means you need to fish more. :-D

Just a quick commnet. I would recommend that anybody using Aquadeal for repair or any other purpose consider purchasing Goop. Based on my research, Goop has the same chemical formula as Aquaseal. I've been using Goop for years to repair waders and I've seen no isssues and besides, you can purchase a tube of Goop that is 4 to 5 times greater than the typical tube of Aquaseal for the same price.

Haha, DD I've been chomping at the bit, but the weather has been fighting me

Yes, they will rust and yes, DD is right...LOL I have 3/8" and have used them for a few years with no problems. Depending on how much you fish you may have to replace them once or twice a year, but that's no biggie at the price of 100 screws.

thanks Dale49 for the advice on the goop.

I tried to order these and when I went through the process, it said I will be emailed a price quote or some crapola, never got an email.

Just call Malinda's Fly Shop at 315-298-2993. They are great to deal with and cheap 100 studs for $15.

called a local atv. dealer, said they could get 250 pack for 25$

I was thinking about it and if there are enough guys interested in ordering some studs I would be willing to buy a 1000 and split them up between a group of guys. Let me know who's interested. If we can split this up between 10 guys we could save some cash. Kind of like a fly swap but a stud swap instead.

$23.95 + free shipping for 250ct packs on eBay. 3/8 or 1/2 size. That's enough studs to last quite awhile

Back