J:son Flies

BlindFishEye

BlindFishEye

I stumbled across the J:son booth at the Somerset, NJ show this past Saturday and picked up a few of their flies. They aren't cheap by a long shot but look just like naturals.

http://www.jsonsweden.com/en/

Their pitch is essentially ultra-realistic imitations of actual insects with molded(?) foam bodies and poly wings, legs, etc.

Has anyone fished these flies? I'm curious how they perform and if there are any adjustments necessary to presentation.

Thanks!

I actually also got some of those flies at the show. I like the realism and the fact that you don't need floatant. Time will tell if they hold up or just look pretty!

Thank you for posting the link. Due to my lack of self control and curiosity, I'll be ordering a few of those.

I have fished the caddis and sulpher patterns. They are fine. I didn't see any appreciable difference in rate of catch. They performed about the same as and other decent fly.

A little rich for my taste, still has a giant piece of metal sticking out of it. I am of the camp that believes presentation trumps ultra realism, make it move like food and they will eat it as food.

blueheron - I am of a similar frame of mind and was hoping to experiment with these flies to finally put the imitation versus presentation debate to rest, at least in my own mind.

Barring catching an insect during a hatch and super-gluing it to my tippet (I know - that would be bait fishing), these flies seem to come the closest I've seen to realistic imitations. If the trout agree then the balance of the equation must be in the presentation.

Now if I can only find a fish willing to sit still while I whip these and traditional flies at it to test the hypothesis...

BlindFishEye wrote:
blueheron - I am of a similar frame of mind and was hoping to experiment with these flies to finally put the imitation versus presentation debate to rest, at least in my own mind.

Barring catching an insect during a hatch and super-gluing it to my tippet (I know - that would be bait fishing), these flies seem to come the closest I've seen to realistic imitations. If the trout agree then the balance of the equation must be in the presentation.

Now if I can only find a fish willing to sit still while I whip these and traditional flies at it to test the hypothesis...

Realistic flies have been tied since the beginning of fly fishing. Sometimes it's the movement of the fly when using soft/fuzzy materials that make a difference rather than a perfectly formed body with stiff legs and tails and antenna. At times tying in an attractant that shines or has a different color makes a difference.

Try the realies, when they fail, tie on a wooly bugger, hares ear, walts worm, green weenie (God forbid) or some such fly and see what happens. Some of the most productive flies out there look nothing like or look very little like the natural insects or prey they supposedly represent.

I would be very interested in your report on these flies. YMMV.

+1 Afishinado......

I am just going through my boxes to see what needs replaced and retied and there are "flies" in there that even I don't recognize....and I tied them! But for some reason they all worked in their alternate and deteriorating form.....

Sometimes I think that some patterns actually work better after being abused by 4 or 5 sets of trout teeth rearranging them. Makes me wonder why I take so much effort in the beginning to make them realistic!

Back