Itty bitty rings

J

JohnPowers

What's the word on those itty bitty rings for Tippett attachment? I think they're on the furled leaders which have been a disappointment to me but I'm wondering about just using the rings.

They are called Tippet Rings. I love them but you need the small ones if you want to use them with dry flies. IMHO

by JohnPowers on 2013/2/21 9:45:17 What's the word on those itty bitty rings for Tippett attachment? I think they're on the furled leaders which have been a disappointment to me but I'm wondering about just using the rings.

John just out of curiosity which furled leaders were you having problems with?

Tippet rings are the shizz. Make things so much easier. I suggest 2mm or smaller. I don't have a problem with the 2mm for dries.

Phish_On wrote:
Tippet rings are the shizz. Make things so much easier. I suggest 2mm or smaller. I don't have a problem with the 2mm for dries.

I concur, 2mm works perfectly fine for dries. Bigger ones sometimes cause me issues.

Here's a thread in the Tips and Tricks forum on Tippet Rings:

Tippet Rings

I did some research on other forums and found no complaints except some just prefer to tie directly to the leader with a knot.

i used the blue sky furled leaders and thought they were straight junk. but thats my opinion. they did not turn over like i had thought they would. infact it didnt seem to turnover at all for me.

by IdratherbePhishing on 2013/2/21 11:09:32 i used the blue sky furled leaders and thought they were straight junk. but thats my opinion. they did not turn over like i had thought they would. infact it didnt seem to turnover at all for me.

You should give Cutthroat Leaders a shot I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with their performance.

delta_dog wrote:
You should give Cutthroat Leaders a shot I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with their performance.

Just not on small rods on small streams. :roll:

I would but I'm used to what I already have. I know I will probably seem weird saying this but usually I just run a straight piece of tippet (5X) right to my fly line. Cast great. But I did recently get the tippet rings and IMO the best way to go.

I used the blue sky also. Seemed to take a lot of whipping to dry and difficult to mend. Might be just me. I'm open to suggestions

by IdratherbePhishing on 2013/2/21 14:07:44 I would but I'm used to what I already have. I know I will probably seem weird saying this but usually I just run a straight piece of tippet (5X) right to my fly line. Cast great. But I did recently get the tippet rings and IMO the best way to go.

Not at all weird. I nail knot an 8 inch piece of Maxima to the fly line and attach a tippet ring then I run 5 or 6 ft of straight 3x down to my fly (On small rods on small streams)

JohnPowers wrote:
I used the blue sky also. Seemed to take a lot of whipping to dry and difficult to mend. Might be just me. I'm open to suggestions

I got this advice from DD and it has served me well even though I will be going to his small stream non-furled setup very soon. Treat your furled leader with floatant before and after each trip. I do not have issues with the leader sinking unless I fail to do this.

See you can teach an "Old Fox" new tricks. :-D

delta_dog wrote:
See you can teach an "Old Fox" new tricks. :-D

Dude, I much prefer "Middle Aged". :-o

Lol......sorry guy. But you do get around pretty good for an "Old Fart".

Although you do fall alot. I may need to get you one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGafFvnUC-I&sns=em.

delta_dog wrote:
Although you do fall alot. I may need to get you one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGafFvnUC-I&sns=em.

Okay one last comment and then we will return this thread to it's originally schedueld program.

Why do I continue to spar with you? You are relentless! :-?

Of course, I do fall a lot lately, do you think those come with floats?

Lol.......I don't know but it think it has a slow-mo button.

delta_dog wrote:
Lol.......I don't know but it think it has a slow-mo button.

Have you not seen me blow through a stream? That damn Slo-Mo button would be useless to me!

Back