I'm really frustrated with Waders, need advice....

V

VTPAangler

The past three seasons have seen me pick up the frequency of my fly fishing. Not coincidentally, my waders have been giving me problems ever since. I bought a $100 pair from Cabela's to begin the 2008 season. My first significant trip of 2009 was to Penn's Creek and I had taken in a few gallons of water after day one of that trip.

So, I went to a popular local fly shop and bought a $200 pair of Dan Bailey's lightweight breathables. I fished the next day without incident. A couple weeks later, when I got out again, I was taking in a fair amount of water again. I was pissed but figured I'd find the leak and patch it. Now I'm taking in tons of water. Really frustrating. Anyone with experience with Dan Bailey's? I think I'm going to contact them and try to get a new pair, but my concern is whether or not I really want another pair when after two days of fishing I was taking in water with my current pair. The folks at the fly shop insisted that these wouldn't leak unless I took a knife to them.

I fish aggressively and I do my share of beating around in the woods. Is there a pair of waders on the market that can withstand a lot of bushwacking etc? I want my next pair of waders to be rock solid. Any suggestions?

Take 'em back to Jonas and tell him they leak.

Welcome to the club!
I've had problems with every breathable wader that I've tried.
I even coughed up $400 for a pair of simms guide weights once, only to have them leak during the 2nd year of use.
But lots of guys - a few from this forum - do swear by simms.
I'm currently using a pair of Orvis pro- guides, that were originally bought 3 years ago. But orvis has replaced them twice.
And I've already had to patch this pair, which is the 3rd now.
The best solution I've found so far, is to buy 2 pair of waders from someone with a good warranty. Then you'll always have a pair to use while waiting for the other to be replaced

dryflyguy wrote:
The best solution I've found so far, is to buy 2 pair of waders from someone with a good warranty. Then you'll always have a pair to use while waiting for the other to be replaced

There ya go! They all suck. Like DFG said, a good warranty and a backup pair is the only way to keep you fishin.

Presently, my thinking has evolved to this: I try to find a bargain on a pair of lightweight breathables, hoping to pay around or just over $100. I pay close attention to jaggers and other brush and try to avoid just plowing through. When I see a small stain of water indicating a leak, I make an effort to reseal it quickly as it seems to me that left unattended, the leak will "grow." When repair becomes a never ending chore, I replace them.

Maurice wrote:
Take 'em back to Jonas and tell him they leak.

I don't know if you got them at the Feathered Hook in Coburn, or if Jonas can help you if you didn't. I do believe that he will help you if he possibly can.

I think the worst problem people have with good waders is fit. When waders are too loose, you end up looking like a "rhinoceros" and the water pools in the wrinkles. The best waders will soak through in time, with that kind of fit problem. The other problem is pulling, if they are too tight. This will pull out the seams. It's impossible to fix seams that have been pulled out.

Jonas is good at finding a good fit for people. So I would talk to him if you can.

I did buy them at the Feathered Hook. Jonas was helpful with respect to fitting etc. My problem is I live four hours from the store and won't be back until the Spring. I've contacted Dan Bailey's and I hope to send them back this week. I'll have to wade wet/fish from the bank until I get them back.

JackM wrote:
Presently, my thinking has evolved to this: I try to find a bargain on a pair of lightweight breathables, hoping to pay around or just over $100. I pay close attention to jaggers and other brush and try to avoid just plowing through. When I see a small stain of water indicating a leak, I make an effort to reseal it quickly as it seems to me that left unattended, the leak will "grow." When repair becomes a never ending chore, I replace them.

L.L. Bean breathable emergers. $99 for stocking foots and they have a lifetime warranty. When they get bad just simply take them back to the store and they'll replace them with a new pair on the spot, don't even need a reciept.

I'd have to agree with Padraic. Measure yourself as a tailor would and compare those to the wader manufacturers sizing charts. My Simms Lightweights are in their 9th season and are still OK. But I know their gonna give up the ghost someday. Simms probably does the best job at offering the most sizes. Only probelm is, if you need an odd size, your local fly shop may not have them on the shelf ready to go. Like Pad said, fit is most important.

Fit is important and I agree, but you just can't go hacking through briars and expect your waders not to leak. You said you hack brush so maybe wait until you hit the stream to put them on. They make brush guards, may be another option. A good warranty is a must. If you buy something with a lifetime warranty buy 2. Save one for when the other is shipped out.

My son has recently fell in love with Cloudveil waders. He fished them in Portugal. I have pictures of him crawling through brush on his knees, climbing over fallen trees and it's been a year and I can tell you he gets hundreds of hours on the stream. They are by far from his standpoint the most comfortable and most lightweight waders he has ever owned. The wading shoes seam came loose and he has a slow leak in the crotch. Sent them back and they said they would replace them. They even checked their stock to make sure they had his size.

If you kneel in the water allot buy knee pads. If you sit allot, bring a seat pad. You can't always expect the waders to magically take care of themselves. Seam leaks happen if your thighs rub together and also from just plain poor design. The warranties usuallly cover those but like I said have a backup pair. As said before, the correct fit matters. Take it from a fairly tall girl with long skinny feet. Size 11 to be exact. I need to buy guys sizes and the footbed is too wide so when I'm in deep water I get foot cramps from the pressure of the extra fabric.

Half a century of wader wearing and I have to agree with Jack-think I would have learned something.lol
Anyway
What I have learned -go with the inexpensive one, STAY away from anything that can damage them and hang them upside down between trips-
As an avid rose grower I can tell you from painful experience,nature does not care about sticker price.
Why upside down-best way to ensure seams stay straight-right side up works also but avoid folds for long periods.

This is year # 8 for my Pro-line stocking foot breathables. Think I paid $89 for them and they only had 3 sizes (S/M, L and XL). They do have a small leak on the neoprene seam, but nothing major. Best waders i've ever owned period and will probably buy them again when the time comes.

If you walk through pickers and crap the best waders are cheap vucanized rubber waders or heavy neopreme waders. These types of waders seem to hold up to this kind of abuse better than the more expense lightweight waders, which rip and tear but more annoyingly, get full of pinhole leaks. But the cheap vulcanized rubber wader will probably only last one season before a seam lets go somewhere. But you can find cheap ones at WalMart for $50 bucks or so. I've got a pair of no-name neopreme waders that I paid around $75 at WalMart and I used these when I'm going deep into the woods.

My other waders are the top of the line Dan Bailey Guide Series waders and I don't beat them up and they've been sent back twice in 3 years - once for a seam leak about 6 weeks after getting them and once for a pinhole leak. Since then they have developed a leak somewhere in the crotch seam and several small pinhole leaks on the thigh area. To solve the problem(s) I bought AquaSeal and also Tear-Aid patches. I AquaSealed all the seams on the inside and also applied a coating to the material in the shin and thigh area. I then applied the Tear-Air patches to the knee and thigh area. This fiox has worked and my waders have been leak free for over 1 year. But you've got to be careful going through the woods because pickers go right through this materal.

As has been mentioned, having a 2nd pair to serve as a backup is my preference. One heavy pair and one lightweight. I prefer to have one of each so that I can even use the designated backup for warmer weather fishing.

I was on a 10 day trip fishing in the ANF las fall and my primary pair of waders had an un-repairable leak. I tried to repair them 2 times on that trip and had no luck, even with having the Aqua Seal with me. Prior to that I had repaird them 2 times successfully so they were due to be replaced. I had the backup pair with me and made an easy transition into them.

As for a reputable brand, I have heard over the years virtually every company having problems with certain runs of their product. Some limited to a specific model, some with all. Here's where that warranty comes in. I want the least hastle possisble if there is a problem, so to me it's worth paying for good boots or boots from a repuable manufacturer. Add in warranty that suits your needs and you're golden. LLBean, Simms, Orvis, Cabels are all good options. I've also heard very good things about Dan Bailey waders/warranty as well. Cloudveil also seems to be gaining popularity as well. There's lots to be had out there for under $150, even plenty under $100 that would mike a good choice as a backup.

I have a cheap ($99) pair of Beans that are wearing very well. Got a couple small holes from briars that I sealed with aquaseal. I did buy a pair of Simms (not top-of-line) this year that do fit better then anything I've ever had which I'm told will avoid rubbing when walking and will make them hold up better. So far so good with the Simms and I've worn them pretty hard this year. I agree with all on the briars--busting through a patch of those will create some holes.

In my experience ALL waders leak eventually. The first thing I would do is lower my expectations. If you are taking in gallons of water; and not just getting a little damp at the end of the day, then perhaps you have a defective pair...Call Jonas, I'm sure he'll make right for you...

How about buying a pair of chaps to wear over your waders?

That has been discussed on here for snake protection. I think it may be a cheaper solution then the others.

I don't fish with mine on but if I was constantly ripping them I definately would.

I have a really nice pair of Filson tin cloth chaps. My jeans don't rip when I small game hunt. My friends and I purposely get into jaggers and all the thick crap trying to flush rabbits and grouse out.

If you walk through pickers and crap the best waders are cheap vucanized rubber waders or heavy neopreme waders. These types of waders seem to hold up to this kind of abuse better than the more expense lightweight waders, which rip and tear but more annoyingly, get full of pinhole leaks. But the cheap vulcanized rubber wader will probably only last one season before a seam lets go somewhere. But you can find cheap ones at WalMart for $50 bucks or so. I've got a pair of no-name neopreme waders that I paid around $75 at WalMart and I used these when I'm going deep into the woods.

I do the same. But I wait until Walmart rolls back their prices. I usually pay $20 to $25 for the real crappy rubber hip waders.

If you take care of them and keep them layed straight or hang them nicely to dry they will usually keep for 1 1/2 to 2 seasons.

I fish with those all summer plus they roll down nicely if you have a long walk and its hot out.

All metal oxidizes, all concrete cracks, and all waders leak. I have a cheap pair of red ball nylon waders I have had forever and they are my backup.

If you fish smaller water and can't be bothered tap dancing around every possible obstacle that might punch a hole in your waders, get a pair of the cabelas 3 Forks 400 denier nylon stocking foot and take them to a dry cleaner/tailor that will turn them into waist highs for about 15-20 bucks.

Yes, you'll perspire and yes, they'll eventually leak in the seams, etc, etc. etc.

So what? They're like 60 bucks and they'll be tougher than any any $500 Simms.

By and large, you won't have to worry about brush busting. I know a bunch of duck guys who use them to go swamp tromping. They're damn near bulletproof..

Back