How good are Cabela's Rods and Reels for the price?

C

crs5942

I am hoping to purchase a new fly rod this summer and I was considering a high end Cabela's fly rod. I am currently undecided between a low end Sage Rod (probably the Launch) or a higher end Cabela's rod. I will most likely buy a 8-8.5' rod in 4 or 5 weight. If anyone fishes Cabela's rods or a Sage Launch, please let me know your opinion. Also, I am looking at getting a Cabela's LSR reel or a Cabela's SLA reel. They seem pretty good for the price, but please comment if you have fished with them. Thanks.

I do not have the higher end rods or reels, but I have had a lower end reel for about 5 years and and a mid level cabelas combo for about 4 years and like them just fine. Their higher end rods I would think, would be even better and are probably made by loomis or sage anyway. Have you cast any of them.

This is a great question, really, because what's a "higher end-rod" to ME, may NOT feel, like a "higher end rod" when fished by YOU! In, other words, all rods and all fly fishermen are very different in regard to equipment such as rods, reels and lines.
I own several "high end" Sage, Thomas and Thomas and the like and yet I find some of my BEST overall rods are the ones sold VERY reasonably by "Temple Fork Outfitters"...... Lefty's endorsed line!
I rod need NOT be "higher end" or even "higher priced" to be an excellent rod. After all, there are only so many things, one can DO to graphite, Boron, etc, to begin with. I gauge my own gear, by how it feels in the hand and of course, by how it lays out line. In other words............ "If it "feels good" and "casts well" and seems to be constructed so as to last a long time, then IT IS a "higher end rod", even if you only paid a fraction of the cost of big name rod company's rods!
DON'T be fooled by the oldest gig in the world of fly fishing.......... "If it COSTS A LOT, then it's GOT to be good"!
"Higher End" sometimes ONLY MEANS............ "Higher Price"!

I agree with flybinder. It is kinda like they guy who buys every new golf club on the market thinking it will make him play better. Remember, Bobby Jones won 13 majors playing with hickory shaft golf clubs that a novice player today would throw in the rubbish can or hang on a wall.

What I am trying to say is that it is the fisherman not the rod. Find one you like. I once saw a program where Ted Williams said he never spent more than 25 bucks on a rod. Go get what feels good to you. My go to rod is a St Croix Imperial that I bought almost 10 years ago. I think I paid 125 for it. I would not trade it today for a 500 dollar rod.

My .02

I'm on board with flybinder and Bruno. I'd never buy a rod I hadn't cast and have been found low priced rods that felt wonderful as well as high priced ones that felt awful. That said, I like the St. Croix lll.
Coughlin

If you are looking for good value, I recommend going to a traditional fly shop and checking out some of the lower cost lines of the traditional fly rod companies, the innovators and creators who brought us these wonderful graphite rods. Sage, Loomis, Orvis, St. Croix etc. have very good rods at reasonable prices.

I think it's a misconception that Cabelas has better values on fly rods than going to a traditional fly shop.

troutbert wrote:
If you are looking for good value, I recommend going to a traditional fly shop and checking out some of the lower cost lines of the traditional fly rod companies, the innovators and creators who brought us these wonderful graphite rods. Sage, Loomis, Orvis, St. Croix etc. have very good rods at reasonable prices.

I think it's a misconception that Cabelas has better values on fly rods than going to a traditional fly shop.

I don’t know Troutbert, Cabelas has some okay stuff for the price. I don’t completely disagree with you though. The quality of the "finer" manufacturers is truly evident and the mid priced "stuff" is often built with the same technology. Its just that the Higher end "stuff" has a more aesthetically pleasing feature or feautures. Im thinking Orvis becasue thats what I deal with so I shouldnt speak for the other manufacturers.

CaptMatt wrote:
troutbert wrote:

I don’t know Troutbert, Cabelas has some okay stuff for the price. I don’t completely disagree with you though. The quality of the "finer" manufacturers is truly evident and the mid priced "stuff" is often built with the same technology. Its just that the Higher end "stuff" has a more aesthetically pleasing feature or feautures. Im thinking Orvis becasue thats what I deal with so I shouldnt speak for the other manufacturers.

Cabelas has good equipment. And good prices. I believe that the flyshops I deal with do also. And the advantage of a traditional flyshop is service. I think it's more likely that you will find what you want in a good flyshop.

I have owned/casted most rods/reels in the cabelas line. Good value, especially with combos. Unfortunately, this year they stopped offering ross reels in their combo.

Reels:

My favorite is the prestige plus, best reel under 50$ IMHO
The CSR and LSR stink, their drags bind up like crazy.
SLA - overpriced but solid, changing spools is a pain in the butt.

Rods

Three Forks, Traditional - good values
LST, Genesis - they stink, LST is a broomstick, and I had two genesis break on me.

PT, FT, SLi - great rods for the money. SLi has an action everyone will like. One of the best progressive tapers out there (and I own orvis, scotts, and winstons - the SLi is not a high end Scott or Winston but the next best thing)

I will say that I build rods and the fit and finish on cabelas rods is good (about like orvis) but not top notch like a scott, sage, or winston.

Cabelas has GREAT service.

Bottom line is go to store and try stuff out, whether it be cabelas or your local shop. DON'T spend that kind of dough and buy something blind over the internet.

Been using a low end rod reel combo from Cabela's the last three years. Like it very much. Also have a low end Cortland that I like also. The Cortland is 9' 6 wt with a double taper line, while the Cabela is 8'6" and 5 wt with weight forward line. Can cast 70 feet with both. Been using the Cabela's rod which is my daughters because mine needs new guides, one worn through and broke. Before anyone says something about it being low end and needing new guides they were replaced five years ago. Wore out in two.

I don't doubt that Cabelas has good rods at good prices. But are certain that the Sage Launch rods, which are listed in Flyfishers Paradise's catalog at $175 are a lower quality rod than than similar priced rods at Cabela's?

Or if you go up in price a bit, are you certain that the Sage Fli Rods at $255 are inferior to similar priced rods at Cabela's?

I don't actually know the answer. But I don't think it's safe to assume that the Cabelas rods at similar price points will be better.

I'm using Sage examples because I have a Sage rod (a model no longer made) that I'm very pleased with. I'm not so familiar with the Orvis rods, but FFP catalog lists Orvis Clearwater Classics for $149. Are they inferior to similar priced rods at Cabelas?

PAD, I agree although I think that Cabelas has a pretty darn good fly shop for a store that big. Its better than Bass Pro for sure and Gander Mountain is a joke, Im not comparing apples to oranges though (Fly shops to superstores). Troutbert, I think that we agree, Cabelas rod 175.00 Sage rod 175.00..... I pick SAGE.

Also I own a clearwater and like it a lot. Its my backup rod behind a TLS which I believe to be a wonderful midpriced rod. In saltwater I prefer them over the "higher end" T3. personal preference.

I've been using a 9' 5 wt Sage Launch rod for about a year now, and I can't complain. Granted it's my first rod, so I don't have too much to compare it with, but it works for me. I've fished lakes, big streams, and small brookie streams and I've been able to be successful in each situation.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the best thing about the Sage rod is the LIFETIME WARRENTY!!!!!! Well worth the price.

Comparing the Sage Launch to the Cabela's equivalently priced rod (the PT) is apples and oranges. The Launch is fast, the PT is a moderate action rod. They are both warrantied.

Point is that they are both great companies with warranteed rods.

Cast them both. Doesn't really matter what we think......rods are very much the case of one man's trash being another man's treasure.

I have a Cabelas Prestige rod/reel combo that I got several years back specifiaclly to go fishing for Steelies. It's been a great setup and I can't complain about the performance/qualit of the setup.

For me, as little as I fish for steelies, this has been a great investment. I got a whole setup for under 200 bucks.

Now I'm going more for trout and I have a Sage Launch, the 9ft 5wt and absolutely LOVE it. It's a great rod for the price. IMHO, probably one of the best values out there. I will say this though...before deciding upon which rod to go with, I had looked at prices for various rods and had a few that I had in mind and ended up with the Sage, which I had not even though of until I casted them all. It's been mentioned before, but go cast the rod, see how it performs in your hands. We're all a little bit different.

When I started out fly fishing, I picked up several rods that were in my price point, but I graduated to the Sage ultimately. I'd keep in mind how long you intend on keeping this rod in your rotation. The Sage, for me casts wonderfully and I am extremely happy with my selection. Between the two, I'd go with the Sage, but that's just me. I've also had 2 fly shops in two states tell me that the next line up from the Launch, (the SLi) I believe is a good rod, but they both said go with the Launch based on cost vs. performance.

Bottom line, get out and cast them, see what feels right in your hands. Hope this helped:)

I just went to a Lefty Kreh casting seminar last weekend and he said that any flyrod over $100 bucks will cast better than the person using using it.

If it matters, i just bought a 4wt, 7'6" SAGE FLi rod and paired with an Abel Super 2 Large Arbor reel i won in a raffle. I've had the oppurtunity to fish the rod for the last 2.5 weeks and i have to say that I absolutely love it!! I've also had the oppurtunity to fish with a fly rod from the Cabela's line (not sure what model but it was a 5 wt) and i have to say that it lacked in comparison. Some other things you need to consider when buying the rod are the length and weight of it. I found when shopping for rods that some manufactures may make rods at lower lengths that perform better their rods of longer lenghts and vice versa. Same goes for line weight. I guess it can be attributed to the components the rods are made from. Anyway, i would have to say that i agree with everyone else, got to a "Mom&Pop" fly shop and test them out. Not only will you have hands on testing and great service, but you will also be supporting small business instead of one of the monolithic shops like Cabela's, Gander, or Bass Pro.

Back