Hexagraph Rods

jbewley

jbewley

Looked around with the "search", but did not find much. I see these rods are still around, so does anyone here have experience with them?

Jim

They are heavy, heavy, heavy.

Was not impressed by them when a local shop was carrying them. If you want cane, get cane. Shop around, there are plenty of builders who's pricing is comparable to high end graphite.

Proudly own and operate a Walton Powell Hexagraph 7'6" 4/5 it is my #1 rod for small stream fishing as well as dry fly work on local limestoners. It is a matter of preference I suppose. just like with anything else.
I laugh at guys that whine about weight of fly rods...
There was a time when rods weighed a lot more, there was time when guys didn't blame their tools for the lack of success also. If a rod is too heavy perhaps a little bit of manual labor may strengthen your resolve.

PennKev: "Heavy" is a relative term. Are they heaver then a graphite, but "lighter" then a 9' bamboo? I do own bamboo, was just curious about these. :)

Lonewolve: I hear ya loud and clear.

Jim

J,
lighter than some boo, but some boo is hollowed out or fluted thus reducing its weight at the same time speeding up the action to a degree.
What length are you looking at? Weight of line?

L, I really don't need another rod, but remembered seeing these a number of years ago and even tried one at Yellow Breeches Outfitters, but can't really remember how it felt. I was surprised they were still around, so I thought they must have done OK. I just wondered if anyone here had experience fishing them. "IF" I were looking, it would be in an 8', 4 or 5wt version. Real bamboo in that length is too heavy for my liking. I realize they are "fake bamboo", there are cheaper rods in that length and on and on, but I like the look of bamboo, fake or otherwise and I'm old enough not to care what that might say about me. :)

Jim

jbewley wrote:
PennKev: "Heavy" is a relative term. Are they heaver then a graphite, but "lighter" then a 9' bamboo? I do own bamboo, was just curious about these. :)

They are comparable IMO. However, I wasn't too fond of the casting characteristics. The ones I cast were whippy and tip heavy. On the other hand I've cast cane rods that where neither.

PennKev: Honest answer. Thank you.

Jim

From Classic Powell Rods,

[size=x-small]"When standard graphite started falling out of fashion and these rods were not selling well Walt (while as always working in cane) began developing and producing, in partnership with Bruce and Walker of the UK, the Hexagraph rods. These rods were hexagonal like a cane rod but were made of triangular strips of foam backed by graphite. The early hex rods came out at the time Walt was building rods in Quincy, CA. These rods were unpainted and were a dark green/almost black color blank usually finished with a black with wood spacer reel seat and dark green wraps. Labeling was all over the map - sometimes with a Walton decal, sometimes with length and line wt...I even own one that is hand labeled as Walton Powell on the first flat and then Nostalgic 96 on the next flat. I assume in reference to the old school cane style action. Anyway, these rods were used in the filming of A River Runs Through It - but in their updated cosmetics - painted to look like bamboo with dark green or maroon wraps and a wood insert uplocking seat in aluminum or gold. In the early iterations these cane painted hexagraph rods were called Segmented Graphite. Not many of those are about as the name was soon changed to Hexagraph. In general these faux bamboo rods are hand scribed with Walt's name, the Hexagraph name, and length and line wt. In 1992 Walt sold the Hexagraph line to his good friend Harry Briscoe. Mr. Briscoe still sells these wonderful and lovely rods under the Hexagraph name (www.hexagraph.com). These rods are still all built in Chico, CA."[/size]

turkey: Interesting information. I take it you have and like this rod? Buying the blank and finishing it myself is not a bad price at all. I may have to give this some consideration. Thanks

Jim

j

I purchased my hex back in the late 90's. It's a medium action 8' 1/2 5wt use it for fishing wet flies for a good many years before the bamboo bug bit me. I still fish with it on occasion especially when I want to throw a full sinking line. I always thought it was a good buy and fished well. Yes, a little on the heavy side,but balanced out with my Hardy Princess reel you can fish with it all day and not have a sore shoulder.

jbewley wrote:
turkey: Interesting information. I take it you have and like this rod? Buying the blank and finishing it myself is not a bad price at all. I may have to give this some consideration. Thanks

Jim

Jim, I don't have one. I'm very interested in them however. The story of the Powell family and how they lost their rod building business doesn't seem fair. The current Hexagraph rods do seem pricey to me. Especially since you can find used bamboo rods from modern makers at comparable prices. I may be able to get my hands on a used 5wt. If I do I'll report back here.

I beleive someone set a new trend in motion somewhere: Fiberglass has jumped the shark, and hexagraph is in.

He had a beard, so its probably serious business.

Wetfly01: When you say "heavy" can you tell me what you are comparing it to? A couple of my 7' 6" bamboo are a tad heavy, compared to graphite, but not a problem. All the 8'+ bamboo I tried were "really" heavy. I have a Hardy Princess, so that is good. I wonder if they have changed in weight over time?

Turkey: I would be interested in hearing your feelings if you get one. I am really leaning toward getting one and the only reason I can give is.....just because. :)

Jim

gfen wrote:

I beleive someone set a new trend in motion somewhere: Fiberglass has jumped the shark, and hexagraph is in.

He had a beard, so its probably serious business.

Gary, if the world was flat, I'd grind the edge. Also, the term Hexagraph is not the preferred nomenclature. Segmented graphite, please.

Jim, I should have something to report in a couple weeks.

j

When I mean Heavy I am comparing it to the 8"1/2 4/5wt cane rods that I use now. It is not much different in weight. It was an easy transition for me to switch from the Hex to cane. Because the rods in weight were very similar,but the actions were totally different. So the casting took a little work.

Wetflu01: Now that is interesting.

Turkey: I will await your response.

Jim

Back