Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Hemostats/Forceps Do You Use Them?

From chester ct
I use mitten clamps - first discovered their advantage to hemos when steelheading in cold weather - easy to use with gloves. In a pinch while sunfishing, I've used a twig with success.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 14:20

From Woodstock, MD
I find them invaluable. I use them to put split shot on and off. I use them to make a cinch knot. I use them to connect two pieces of Tippett via a surgeons knot. I use them sometimes when a fish is hooked a little too deep. I can't fish without them. I have mine attached to a zinger and have never lost a pair.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 15:24

From SEPA

One learns to appreciate a pair of hemostats truly the first time they sink the hook past the bend into their own hand.

They also never forget to crimp a barb again.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 15:41

From NE OH
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I use them.

I have 2 remaining pair. I got them free for a long time, and the reason why is prime fodder for those who complain of excesses in the medical world.

After surgeries, they are discarded instead of re-used. Yes, they can be cleaned and re-used, they're stainless steel afterall. But they don't do that. Because some bean counter calculated that the danger of improperly cleaning and sterilizing would result in litigation much greater than just continually opening new ones out of sealed packages from the supplier in the operating room.

That is not an industry wide standard. So, one could argue that institution is guilty of excess waste, but that is not the case nation wide.

I've done a whole lot of surgery in my career at a whole bunch of institutions and never seen hemostats disposed of after every case. The only disposable hemostats I see are the ones found in disposable suture removal kits that are often used on the hospital floors for inpatients. When I served as chief of surgery we had many discussions about reusable vs disposable instruments, and simple commonly used instruments like hemostats were never part of the discussion.

I only say this so that Pcray's statement is not used in your next argument about the waste in the American health care system. Don't get me wrong. There is a ton of waste, but tossing out hemostats after every surgery is not the issue across the nation. And believe me, if they were being tossed out after every case, I would be donating thousands upon thousands of them every year to you folks.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 19:45

From Philadelphia PA
I loaned them to some teenagers and never got them back.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 20:02
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Lancaster County
Sierra Trading Post had a ton of Dr. Slicks hemostats, in various styles, colors, and lengths a few years ago. I stocked up and added one to each of my fishing packs. Gave a few away to family members and still have a few. I prefer the black coated hemostats, as they do not reflect sunlight like stainless steel hemostats do. They are an invaluable tool, for all the reasons listed - reaming a hook eye that didn't get all the head cement cleared out when the fly was tied, clamping down on anything, extracting a small fly, or a deeper hooked fly, or a fly that is embedded in what feels like solid bone in a fish's lip, and unfortunately, more often than not, wriggling a fly out of a net, or out of my clothes..

Posted on: 2013/10/2 21:58

From Media Pa
From what I am reading Prof is an elitist. Hemos have a place

Posted on: 2013/10/2 22:36

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:

Yeah, clipped to his underarm hair. He probably just tells you you don't need them to get you riled up. Or because he doesn't have any. Except the ones under his armpit. Doesn't make him an elitist. I would think an elitist would USE hemos while unhooking his barbless hooks while not removing the fish from the water.

If he picks his fish out of the water, yanks the hooks out with his sausage fingers before taking a picture then he is a.....wait thats me.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 23:00

From Fairborn, OH
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
I have a pair attached to a zinger and I clamp them on the underside of my sling pack to keep them out of the way. Since I started using the zinger I have not lost a pair.

I do not debarb my hooks and try to pop the fly out with my fingers first. If its a tough one I use the hemos...actually a sort of plier. It never takes more than 15 or twenty seconds.

I find hemos a few times a year along the stream. I give them away.

I use hemos and also keep them on a zinger. The one variation is that I stow them in one of the water bottle holders on my Fishpond Nimbus Guide chest pack (along with several other tools since I use a Camelback in lieu of water bottles) as opposed to clipping them to the pack. Keeps the glint and noise under control. I don't de-barb my hooks either, so if a standard de-hooking job takes more than a few seconds, I just go to the hemos. As has already been stated, they also work great on small sunfish, which love to swallow small flies all at once, often requiring hemos to reach them.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 2:33

From Nazareth PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:

One learns to appreciate a pair of hemostats truly the first time they sink the hook past the bend into their own hand.

They also never forget to crimp a barb again.

Gary, were you watching me fish on Monday? I broke my forceps last week and ordered some new ones. I decided to go fishing and this was the first time I didn't have forceps.
I was fishing with 2 flies and hooked a nice fish on the top fly. When I tried to remove the fly by hand, he jumped and buried the second fly in my finger tip and them it turned too. A little size 22. Even if you bend the barb, there may still be just enough sticking up to grab some meat.

When I got home, I called the Doctor and also found my new forceps in the mail.

I am BIG believer in using forceps.

Bill

Posted on: 2013/10/3 17:51

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From Philadelphia PA
Gfen: that's not 100% true. I have put streamers into my leg and nymphs into my thumb only to pull them out. I just consider it a part of fishing. Sometimes I push the hook all the way through and cut it and sometimes I just yank it out. Hurts a little for a little.

The forceps would work much better than needle nose pliers for getting hooks out of the fishes' mouth for sure. So I will invest in a set.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 9:09
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:

No one has supported your personal attack on Prof. That's yours alone. You own that.

We've been discussing HEMOSTATS.

IMHO, the personal attacks should be deleted.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 9:45

Edited by troutbert on 2013/10/5 10:04:28

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Absolutely invaluable. I have mine on a Simms coil retractor. Never lost it yet. Also never need to touch the fish or take it out of the water. How does one get the hook out of a fishes gullet without the use of this type of tool. I guess you can cut it off and leave it.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 12:17

Edited by FiveWeight on 2013/10/5 12:34:03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Keep up the attack Fade.... TB wouldn't know a joke if it bit him in the butt. At this point I believe your right Fade. The vote is in. There's one in every crowd. Funny thing is... it's usually me.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 12:33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From philadelphia
i keep one pair clipped to a vest pocket flap.
i keep a hemo/scissor combo(whatever that's called!)on a zinger.

i try not to play a fish till it needs resuscitation ,and just reach down the tippet to the hook and flip it off.fast and easy and i try never to touch the fish or bring any more than a bit above water.

Q:how can you tell if someone fishes barbless?
A:they tell you,over,and over,and over(like vegans)

haha JK!!!! :)

Posted on: 2013/10/5 13:20

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com