Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Help me make a gratuitious rod purchase

From Fairborn, OH
krayfish -

I just checked my inbox but the message didn't show up. I'll check again shortly and thanks for your input.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 21:30

From Dauphin PA
I didn't see it in my outbox. If you don't get it shortly, I'll resend.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 21:50

From Fairborn, OH
I just checked again: no joy on receiving it. If you don't mind, go ahead and resend it and I'll take a look when I get back from the gym. Thanks again for the help.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 21:55

From Dauphin PA
Damn it. I typed a book on the phone. While you work out, I'll eat cake, smoke and re-type it. LMAO

Posted on: 2013/11/1 22:13

From Dauphin PA
For some reason, my PM won't send. I've responded to several guys but nothing in my outbox. Have to get that fixed.

If you are unable to get feedback on a Winston model, I'm going to suggest you speak to Wayne from The Anglers Habitat in Caldwell Idaho. (208) 454-8188

He had a shop in Alaska, retired and moved to Idaho where he just couldn't keep himself out of the industry. He’s since opened a shop in Caldwell that’s become massively successful. He's built a Sage TCX, Z-Axis and 2 St Croix Legend Elites for me. The guy has been more than fair, treated me great and is quite knowledgeable.

Last week we had a discussion about rod actions, styles of rods and casting preferences. He’s currently working on a Sage VXP 6 wt for me. Wayne is a Winston man all the way. If they’ve built it, he’s fished it. I think you can get some great feedback from him. He can also make some suggestions on a different make / model.

They also build custom Winstons in his shop. He prides himself in quality work and will beat any factory rod price on one of his customs. If you read his store policy, when you buy something… if you aren’t happy, he’ll return it for full price credit. I can think of 4-5 guys on here that have also had rods built by him. The only thing I requested on the current build was the best cork he could find and the upgrade was very modest ($25-30). I did request that the rod have one of those ugly carbon fiber / cut out aluminum seats that you labeled as “tacky”. I just wanted something different since all the other rods have wooden reel seats. I’d give him a shout, pick his brain and see what you think. Tell him Andy in PA sent ya.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 23:02

From Fairborn, OH
krayfish -

LOL - Smoke a cig for me, would ya. I've got a military fitness test to worry about...in about 8 months...and would love to take the hate of running out on myself with a cig and a beer. Alas, I would have to pay the price in the form of a lower score, and if I don't break 90% each time, I'll have to take the danged test every 6 months. So, I had to substitute the cig/beer with 70 minutes on the treadmill. Woo-freakin-hoo!

Thanks for the info and I will definitely give Wayne a buzz. I sit in possibly the worst fly fishing black hole in the US in the form of the Nevada desert, so advice from a seasoned vet who is close to the action is more than welcome. My conversation with the Winston rep definitely got me wanting to know more about that Boron III LS. It's not at all set in stone, as both of the rods Gfen mentioned are very much in play (the Winston WT and the Orvis Superfine, which I had also mulled but failed to mention).

No offense intended on the "tacky" comment. That style of seat just ain't for me and, more importantly, to each his own. I'm also a custom gun guy and am certain that more than one of my custom rifle builds has a feature or two that would make a traditionalist want to vomit. I'm just pretty square when it comes to rod features and prefer the classic look.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 0:21

From Dauphin PA
Let us know how it goes.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 0:24

From pennsylvania
Quote:

Six-Gun wrote:
Based on the below criteria suggest a rod - manufacturer/model/length/action type - that you would consider in the $800 range. Know that a Waterworks-Lamson ULA Force SL reel has been purchased for whatever this will be paired with:

-4wt (not negotiable - I don't own one yet, so that's what I'm getting)

-Primarily for dry flies (I'm leaning more toward nice presentation over distance, but it must be vesatile enough to throw smaller wooly buggers and similar streamers)

- Primarily for small/medium water

You have limited yourself with the reel choice. Not a bad reel choice, but it is really lite - 2.95 oz.
The TMF is the best dry fly rod of all time. Period.
I have a ULA Purist (2.7 oz) and there is no balance whatsoever to the combo. I tried a Litespeed (3.45 oz). Still too light to balance it. I tried a Guru (4.7 oz), and it balances, but it is a low end reel and really ugly. Not "worthy" for that rod.
In the Winston line-up, the B3LS is your best bet. The heavier reelseat (walnut) will help by adding a bit of weight to balance it.
Take your reel to a shop and try it on a variety of rods that fit your wants and needs (there are plenty of choices in your price range).
You can't help but love the WT-TMF as a single duty dry fly rod. But it may not be the best in this case.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 9:58

Edited by gutcutter on 2013/11/2 10:14:44
Edited by gutcutter on 2013/11/2 10:17:41

From Fairborn, OH
gutcutter -

Thanks for the reply. That TMF really looks superb from a fit standpoint as far as what I'm after, but I absolutely want to know what the Boron III LS is brining to the table.

As far as balance goes (and I know that I am about to commit heresy here), after trying many different types of reels - from the clunky Bass Pro Hobbs Creek stuff to light and nimble reels like the Ross Evolution LT - I really put balance at the very bottom of my concerns when it comes to a reel. Overall carry weight and consistent drag performance are the two biggest factors for me when it comes to the reel. Because I constantly have to hike up and down Rocky Mountain ledges and faces all day while working creeks out here, carrying an ultralight package (typically with a shorter rod in 2wt or 3wt) makes a noticeable difference in my enjoyment over the course of an overnight camp/fish trip. I am willing to sacrifice a perfect balance for even a few ounces shaved in my package.

Speaking of which, I know I mentioned I was looking at a 9' setup earlier in this thread. The more we talk, the more an 8' sounds more up my alley.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 15:03

From Da 'Berg, PA
I'd spend rthat $800 on a bamboo rod.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 18:27

From Dauphin PA
Ok, I bit my tongue on the first post but now have to respond. If you read the OP, there is no mention or consideration of bamboo.....otherwise, he'd title the thread " help me waste $800 on a bamboo rod ".

Posted on: 2013/11/3 7:45

From Monessen, PA
Krayfish, when you go to send a PM, make sure the recipient is correctly identified. Often, for no apparent reason, it fills in the recipient as "007troutman" which is the first username in the database by alpha/numeric sort. I have no idea why this occurs, but I bet his/her Inbox is full by now.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 9:16

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Ok, I bit my tongue on the first post but now have to respond. If you read the OP, there is no mention or consideration of bamboo.....otherwise, he'd title the thread " help me waste $800 on a bamboo rod ".

Okay sorry. He did mention dry flies though so I thought....

Posted on: 2013/11/3 11:13

From Fairborn, OH
Bamboo didn't honestly cross my mind because, well, I have no clue what I'd be looking for in that arena. I have tried lots of graphite rods in various actions, but have never touched bamboo. Also, pricing them, it seems I would just barely be touching a mid-entry level rod for $800 with the more expensive options breaking $2K.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 18:20

From Dauphin PA
Buy a used one at a garage sale for $10. After you decide you hate it, you've only invested $10 instead of $1000.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 18:29

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com