Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Hands Down Best Rod You've Fished?

From Cato, NY
Orvis T3 9ft 5wt. 4 piece (tip flex). Best rod I ever fished with

Posted on: 2012/9/6 14:54

What model Sage are you refering to?

I'd have to check when I get home to confirm, but I believe its a 470LL.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 15:47

Yes, it's the 470LL

Posted on: 2012/9/6 16:16

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

ponner1us wrote:
What model Sage are you refering to?

I'd have to check when I get home to confirm, but I believe its a 470LL.
The LL is a great rod. I was just curious what model Sage you had. I have a "TXL" 7' 4 weight. I use it for smaller streams.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 17:48

Small stream, dry fly: 7'3" Mystic 2 weight.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 22:21

From aliquippa
my loomis 9' 5wt streamdance

Posted on: 2012/9/9 10:07

From Dauphin PA
pretty much a tie between my St. Croix Elite and my Z-Axis. Might have to lean toward the Sage slightly due to better hardware but based on price, the St. Croix is hard to beat.

For small stream fishing.... 7'9" 3wt Sage. Don't remember the model but its prior to the LL series coming out (early to mid 80's)

Posted on: 2012/9/11 11:14

From Philadelphia PA
My first flyrod was a walmart special that weighed too much. I got tired quickly every time I went out.and purchased another walmart special renegade. (still have it and use it from time to time.)

Then I purchased two St Croix fly rods from Dicks.
I enjoyed them briefly.
I went from the St Croix fly rods to the Orvis Clearwater II as I started to hone my skills. There was a hugh difference in the weight of the rods and expectations. Whether it is a proven fact or not...when you feel good about your equipment/investment it builds confidence and I was able to reach higher expectations. I also like the warrentee that come with them since I have broke two tips off already. Car accidents i tell ya (rolled up my rear window and heard a distinct snap).

Posted on: 2012/9/12 11:29
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From near Hershey, Pa
One of the fun parts of shopping for a new rod after having saved up the money is visiting a fly shop and actually casting differnt rods from different makers.

My experience is that eventually, one just seems to cast effortlessly for you and it is not always the one you expect or the one that costs the most which is really nice.

My latest experience is an old Orvis Limestone Special, 8 1/2 ft 5wt that I bought. It cast nice on grass but being a little slower than I am used to, I was not blown away but I wanted it for softer casts and it fit the bill.

The real suprise is how well it fishes. On grass I was pushing the rod but on the water, where I'm making casts from 15 to 40 feet normally, the rod really shines and never feels slow at all.

Under those conditions its the best rod I've fished.

Shock

Posted on: 2012/9/12 13:27

From West Newton
Sage VXP 9' #5 or Orvis Superfine 8' #4. I enjoy both of these rods tremendously depending upon the context they are to be fished in.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 19:35

From SEPA

whichever one happens to be at hand

Posted on: 2012/9/15 21:20

From Southwestern NY
As of right now my 8'3" mystic m series 3wt has my mind bent in two; it's listed as a medium weight fishes like a medium weight until you load the pole with a little haul, it shoots line like a champ! At first I was kind of Leary of the softness of this rod but slowing town my false casts cured the issue of it being a medium weight. And it's hidden line rocket in the tip for hauling the line just a single is plenty to get uour fly 50' across the water right where you want it. As for now this is my favorite.

And on the budget side of things while waiting on the mystic to arrive I bought a $20 eagle claw black eagle, that's a great little Pole for $20! If you ever need a back up pole or ad waiting on a warranty, this little 5wt 8'6" will definitely keep you fishing with out complaints... Though I have also played around with the yellow eagle claw and would stay as far away as possible from that pole...

Posted on: 2012/9/17 9:42

From SEPA
Sage RPL+ 2 piece 5 weight. Sweet rod that will throw anything with plenty of backbone.

Eventually I am going to have to build a 4-piece though for convenience. Mudhole's MHX series are great rods too, and about 150 for a kit. Plenty of bang for buck.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 18:21

From Dauphin PA
beeber,

I have the 2pc, 6 weight model. That was my go to rod on big water for 15 years. It's a nice stick.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 17:14

From Glen Rock PA
my goto rod since 97 has been a fenwick hmx 9ft 6wt.

I have not been able to try the really high end stuff, and may be better off if I don't!! Already have a high end photography habit that sucks me dry.

The fenwick is a fast action which fits my casting style, may not be the best for delicate dry presentations, but I still do OK with dry's.

I got a LLBean Streamlight Ultra 2 9ft 8wt last fall and have been very pleased with it! I plan to do a full review soon

Posted on: 2012/9/21 11:15

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com