Greys Streamflex

SBecker

SBecker

I should have casted one at the show, but I am pretty intrigued by the 11'' 4wt. Seems like the perfect all around rod. Thoughts or opinions?

good for small streams

IDK I'd go with a 12' for small brook trout streams.

my apologies to Mr.Becker-being a wise guy 11"rod
sorry-bad habit.

Yeah, "perfect all-around rod" is an incredible stretch.

It's a very specialized rod. I have the 10' 4wt, and like it for nymphing. It can do dry fly duty if necessary, but it ain't pretty.

I have the new Grey's StreamFlex XF2 11' 4wt. This is an awesome nymphing rod. It feels perfect in the hand. I also own the 10' series in 3 and 4wt and always wished I had that extra ft. In my opinion this is the best Euro nymphing rod on the market for the money. The 11' rod has a perfect taper and action for all types of nymphing. You can throw a 30' Spanish leader or a short 8' CZECH style leader. Any questions about the rod you can pm me.

jayL wrote:

It's a very specialized rod. I have the 10' 4wt, and like it for nymphing. It can do dry fly duty if necessary, but it ain't pretty.

It's pretty hard to be accurate with a 10' rod on dries, but it can be used quite well (the last four hours were tossing al's rats to risers via a 10' 3wt streamflex, as a matter of fact).

Having both ends of the 3wt spectrum, I'd much rather have had an 8' or 8'6" today instead of the 10' when they started coming up. I still preferred the 10'r to my 6'6"'r for today, because I had no intention of standing in a stream.

Really, really regretted not putting the 8' 4wt in the trucklet, though, but I only spooled a 3wt line on the new reel, so it wasn't gonna happen.

gfen wrote:
jayL wrote:

It's pretty hard to be accurate with a 10' rod on dries, but it can be used quite well (the last four hours were tossing al's rats to risers via a 10' 3wt streamflex, as a matter of fact).

Having both ends of the 3wt spectrum, I'd much rather have had an 8' or 8'6" today instead of the 10' when they started coming up. I still preferred the 10'r to my 6'6"'r for today, because I had no intention of standing in a stream.

Really, really regretted not putting the 8' 4wt in the trucklet,

^ that's the latest I have ever thrown the tl;dr flag. So close, yet so far. :lol:

jayl , I was fishing in the America Cup last year and one of my beats was on the Colorado river where the river was ripping. I faught my way to the middle of the river but could go no further. I nymphed my way there and only managed 2 small browns that didnt score. I wanted to switch to a hopper dropper rig and fish the oppisite bank so i tied on a madam X with a dropper and had no problem throwing that rig the rest of the way accross the river. That was my 10' 3 wt. The one thing i do is over line my 3 wt with a 4wt line. It helps with throwing in windy conditions. I would not over line the 11' series.

I agree, the rod seems as though it can do most everything.

But for general use, I have numerous rods that would better do the job. The streamflex is a specialty, and a good one.

I just can't justify a rod over 9' for general use. I have not used one that was fast enough, or easy enough to use for dries and streamers. I also fish plenty of medium sized streams.

I cant agree with you more. When I first got my 10 footers last year I wanted to use them everywhere. What a mistake. You need some room otherwise your spending all day pulling flies out of the trees around you. I live in Bucks County and we dont have much in the way of trout water close by. My team spends most of the time out in state college Pa where there is streams a plenty. So if I have a half day to get out and fish and practice its usually on a small stream where I grab one of my smaller rods. BTW I also have the stream flex in a 8' 4wt that is a killer headwaters rod.

If someone wants, make offer on my 10' 3wt.

-shrug-

Sean do you ever do the Euro techniques with just a 9 footer and how do you fair off ?

gfen wrote:
If someone wants, make offer on my 10' 3wt.

Hey Pal, you promised me first shot at it. :roll:

Gfen, Streamflex 10' 3wt? I'm willing to make an offer, or trade even. I have a nice un-used 8.5ft 4wt Orvis.

Heritage Ed gets first crack, but you can always PM me with the Orvis rod details..... Also, could certainly be swayed with a Diamondback 4wt glass rod. I could sell out friends for that.

But, its a moot point. This isn't a for sale thread.

Yeah Fredrick. You can use a 9' rod and often the size of the stream dictates it. Some guys that use traditional euro methods swear by them.

Back