GoPro

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

I just purchased a GoPro Hero3 Black. I was wondering what all accessories people have purchased for using this when filming fishing trips and whatnot. I'm really looking forward to having some fun with this camera!

I think NickR would vote for a safety leash for it LOL

I just got one and haven't spent much time with it yet but the chest and head mounts work fairly well. Whatever you do, make sure you get the phone app for it. Works great. However, if you leave the wifi connected it drains your battery. Leaned this the hard way after I had 2 dead batteries and couldn't figure out why I had no juice when I got to the stream.

I just kinda wish I could see what I was recording. I'm thinking about getting one of the LCD touch bacpacs for it. I ordered some of those anti-fog things and I want to get like a mini tripod that I can put in my vest. I'm kinda thinking the head mount would get annoying and I'm wondering how much my hands and arms would get in the way of a chest mounted one. Wonder if it could be mounted to my belt on my waders? Honestly I think I want to just use a tripod and put it on the bank when I'm fishing certain holes that I know really produce fish since I'm often fishing by myself.

A leash would be a novel idea! Ha. Without reading the prior posts, things I would suggest are the LCD screen unless you would prefer to use your wifi on your phone to see what you are recording. Also, there is a float that you can hook up to it just in case you drop it in the water. I like the head strap/mount. I found the battery to be somewhat short lived so having an extra battery or at least a car charger comes in handy. On multiple occasions I have gotten to the stream to find the battery was dead. Other cameras I own can be charged every couple times I head out to the stream... the GoPro has to be charged every time.

I have the chest mount it is pretty useless in my opinion for fly fishing since your hands and arms are almost always blocking it. The head strap is much better.

The phone app lets you see what you're recording. Trust me, it's a necessity with a GoPro.

I've also seen guys custom make a tall mount with pvc pipe so the camera is above their head. Some great angles and they say it isn't all that uncomfortable.

ryguyfi thanks for mentioning the phone app...I just tried it out last night and I am liking it. A free app is a lot cheaper then buying that LCD screen and making my GoPro bulkier!

Headmount works fine, similar to a headlamp, slightly heavier but not overbearing. I bought the original hero and was never satisfied with the video quality. I guess the newer models have some higher video quality, and the fish eye effect and the terrible sound turned me right off. I wish they have spent more effort on a higher quality lens.

But I'm a Canon man so I guess I'm somewhat spoiled.

I have the Hero3+ and use it with the chest mount often. If the camera is set to wide frame it does a good job capturing the action. I also use a mount called a Joby. I highly recommend it. It's extremely versatile wherever you go.

Another tip, if you're fishing alone set the camera to time-lapse mode as the default for power-up. This way you won't need to fumble with the camera and fish when trying to get that perfect pic with your catch. Just turn it on, hit the shutter button, pose away, and let the camera snap photos until your heart's content. I set it to shoot every 2 secs.

bigjohn58 wrote:
when filming fishing trips and whatnot!

Filming fishing trips and whatnot seems silly to me as I can't fathom who would care, however we recently ordered and received a couple of Phantom Arial Drone Quadcopters that use GoPro cams. I guess you could use it to turn yourself into amazing hero shots (along with a "pilot" that would put up with it) and end game cutting edge hero videos (or whatever the end game of showing your fishing online would be to you).

If you are in Eastern PA and need to have awesome hero shots please shoot me a PM as we are really trying to refine the utilization of our drones.

When is drone season ? What's the bag limit ?

I really just got this so I could get photos when I'm fishing alone. Plus this is probably going to help get sponsorships which my brother and I already have a few. We don't just fly fish. We fish for everything that swims in PA and use what tactics that work best for each species. I must say I love the GoPro app...that saved me some money.

I also don't get the filming of fishing which the go-pro cameras have increased to unbearable levels. To me it's like watching a slide show of somebody's vacation or wedding. Filming from drones seems even worse.

I do recognize that I am old and out of touch with new fangled things like Facebook, snap chat, drones and making friends via the Internet.

Not sure what kind of sponsorships that a simple thing like a go-pro will get you but if you think it will work good luck to you and I hope it works out just as you envision it. I am frequently wrong when it comes to the next greatest thing so my hats off to you for at least having a plan and the willingness to act on that plan.

If people don't know you're doing a thing, then clearly its not worth doing.

The notion of something being simply a relaxing past time is so antiquated. You've got to compete or you will simply sink into obscurity.

does it record the "giggles" when you get a big un or a double".

ryguyfi wrote:
I just got one and haven't spent much time with it yet but the chest and head mounts work fairly well. Whatever you do, make sure you get the phone app for it. Works great. However, if you leave the wifi connected it drains your battery. Leaned this the hard way after I had 2 dead batteries and couldn't figure out why I had no juice when I got to the stream.

Ryan,

I got the phone app but my camera won't connect to the wifi...I keep getting authentication failure. Any ideas why?

gopro is cool but if you really want to get good film it not the way to go. if all you want is a five minute video of catching a fish or two its perfect but for real filming a dslr camera is the way to go. I think its great for underwater shots but not my cup of tea. I had a hero 2 when they were new and lost it which I didn't lose to much sleep over except the fact I spent 200 bucks on it.

bigjohn58 wrote:
ryguyfi thanks for mentioning the phone app...I just tried it out last night and I am liking it. A free app is a lot cheaper then buying that LCD screen and making my GoPro bulkier!

Rather than using your primary phone and risking damage, I would suggest one of these:

http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/phones/kyocera-hydro-preowned/

Waterproof, bomb proof. Has a camera. GPS (works without cell service). You can view video on it via the wi-fi connection using the aforementioned app. A waterproof GPS, camera, camcorder, MP3 player, oh and yeah technically I guess you could use it as a phone, for $15?

marcq wrote:
gopro is cool but if you really want to get good film it not the way to go. if all you want is a five minute video of catching a fish or two its perfect but for real filming a dslr camera is the way to go.

Absolutely 100% disagree on this. DSLR is the correct tool for photos however they fail pretty miserably at video.

Back