going fishing tomorrow need help

T

tison30

Hey guys im going trout fishing tomorrow and its rained the last 2 days here but it was only a little bit last night so the waters a bit cloudy and high. i was wondering whats the better bait to use when the waters high and muddy or just this time of the year.

I never caught a trout on a fly rod the only fish i ever caught was sunny and bluegill at faylor lake.
I have about 5 or 6 different packs for flies like the black gnat and phesent tail something, wollybuggers mudder minnow i think and a few others but i really dont know how to fish any of them so i was going to go look for hoppers to use or crickets but any info would be great. I think most of my flies are dry flies if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the help

O and i been trying to find some vids that actually explains how to fish with your fly after its in the water and i cant find anything really so if anyone knows a good vid id love to watch it.

Go to a shop and book a guide for the day.

I agree with Spyder here.

Tison, a guide is a great (but expensive) way to get started. In my case, I read a few books and watched Youtube videos, someone out there has a lesson on casting. There's like 12 or 20 or something videos total, just search for fly casting on youtube.

After that, I went out and watched people and tried to emulate what they were doing.

The final thing, that really helped me get everything lined up and into place is when I started to talk to people and get a better understanding. Between meeting people who wanted to help, and reading here, I've come a long way in the last year, whereas I spent the first two mostly floundering. Checking into a local fly shop might be a good way to speed this up, just mention you're starting out, and want to know what flies, and where to use them, are good for your area and someone should help ya out.

Unfortuantly, the thick of summer isn't the best of time to try trout fishing.. You may want to continue practicing the basics 'til fall on the gills, and maybe some bass, and then finding out when the fall stockings in your area take place. Get out there and try your panfish-developed skills on some fresh off the farm trout.

Where abouts is Mt. Pleasant?

Getting a guide for the day is expensive but you wasted two years floudering.

Sounds like not getting a guide is an expensive way to not learn.

I'm richer for the experience?

Meh.

if the water is still muddy,try the bugger and the muddler.you can use the muddler like a streamer wet,or like a hopper dry.

Mount Pleasant is south east of Pittsburgh. The Yough may be intimidating for a beginner, but pretty close for him. Never fished it, but maybe someone can chime in or offer to meet up with him and help out.

Ryan

Back