Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Glass rods ?

From NC PA Mountains
Anyone here fish and/or build their own fly rods on glass blanks?
What blanks are you using?

Posted on: 2011/3/29 10:29

Re: Glass rods ?

From Toona
http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/ I would check these guys out. Lots of good info on Glass.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 11:09

From Madison co. VA (Conway River)
I have a one piece 6ft. I built a long time back from a lamiglass 7ft. ultra lite spinning rod blank. It will flex into the handle on a lite back cast without the line. At the time, I used 4wt. DT because that was as light as you could go. I still use it even though I have a 6 1/2ft. Orvis and G Loomis rod.

I never looked for it but I don't know if that blank is available any more. All of the glass rods I built were Lamiglass, I thouht they were good blanks.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 11:24

Edited by buffalo7 on 2011/3/29 12:15:46

Lamiglass and Forcast s-glass blanks 6'6''- 5' application pretty obious small rods small areas

Posted on: 2011/3/29 11:49

From Nicholson PA
Not a rod builder but i never had as much fun with any rod next to an old martain tuffy feels like a noodle and makes the small ones feel big.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 11:59

From SEPA

I'm going to, but I'm trying to establish a baseline for what I want first.

The problem is there aren't many low cost fiberglass fly blanks. Lots of people seem to repurpose the Dancraft (?) spinning blanks. There's also a faster action, 7/8 Jann's blank that's usable. The blank is $20, and that's probably going ot be my test to see if I can pull it off.

Once that's established, I'll buy a good blank and go crazy. Currently, considering a Steffan Brother's 8' 3/4 or 4/5, depends on how I enjoy spring with the McFarland 7'9" 3/4 I'm using now.

I'd also be swayed to try out a Cortland Diamondglass 3 piece 3/4 rod, if I could find one.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 12:17

From State College PA
I'm not criticizing here, just trying to understand if I'm missing something that's worth looking into. Please don't be put off by the question and comments.

What is the appeal of fiberglass rods? I learned to FF with glass rods and was very thankful when graphite hit the scene- I don't think I'm alone. Despite claims of improvements over the old glass, I see don't see the allure.
It seems to me this is more of nostalgia or a fad driven by magazines and forums. Now that graphite rods are made with different actions, can't you get the same actions from significantly lighter and stronger rods? Glass doesn't even have the history or beauty of bamboo.

Back in the day people continued to fish glass because graphite was so expensive. Now, just due to novelty or the fad more than any materials based reason, glass is more expensive, no?

So, how many of you guys/gals who had fished with fiberglass rods really want to go back?

Anyone who jumped in and went back to glass, how often do you fish them versus the graphites you have.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 12:55

From pennsylvania
excellent point and my opinion as well. i happily gave up my fenglas when graphite became affordable to a college student.
having said that, i have an 8ft 3wt tom morgan rod comissioned.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 13:12

From Bozeman
My experience with fiberglass is that it's miserable to fish with compared to graphite, but people like what they like. I, too, think that most of the perceived benefits or reasons to use glass are mostly fashion statements or nostalgic in nature.

But if it made me happy, I would fish it.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 13:23

For the same stiffness, graphite is lighter and smaller diamiter. Back when I built the one piece I was talking about earlier, graphite wasn't out or just came out at that time. Orvis had the first graphite rod that I can remember. I built my one piece at the time when Pizon & Michell came out with 8x tippet, the 6wt. 8ft. Garcia rod didn't have enough give when I stung a Brown trout with a #28 dry. I had a lot of break offs, the little one piece had enough flex to take up the shock.

If price isn't the factor, I'd go with graphite, but i'll never put that 6ft. 1piece rod away. I's sitting in my liveing room right now.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 13:27

From SEPA
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
I'm not criticizing here, just trying to understand if I'm missing something that's worth looking into. Please don't be put off by the question and comments.

I live for arguments! Ask a moderator.

Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
It seems to me this is more of nostalgia or a fad driven by magazines and forums. Now that graphite rods are made with different actions, can't you get the same actions from significantly lighter and stronger rods? Glass doesn't even have the history or beauty of bamboo.

Glass seems more durable, not any heavier than I expect to be, it feels better and behaves in a pleasing way to my hand. Now, my firsthand knowledge is based on a small sample pool, but I know that what I've felt I like.

I also disagree on the beauty of glass versus bamboo:
Click to see original Image in a new window

Last I checked, bamboo was pretty lacking in translucent qualities, and I'd say that's quite beautiful. There's plenty more examples, really.

Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
Back in the day people continued to fish glass because graphite was so expensive. Now, just due to novelty or the fad more than any materials based reason, glass is more expensive, no?

For the few boutique makers out there, yes. Funny how that works, innit? Supply and demand and all that.

Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
So, how many of you guys/gals who had fished with fiberglass rods really want to go back?

Anyone who jumped in and went back to glass, how often do you fish them versus the graphites you have.

I started with graphite, dallied with cheap bamboo, bought cheap glass and am now lost to it.

It feels better, and I love the parabolic action. The fact that even my cheap rod lets me feel headshakes and bends all the way down. Casting a full flex rod is an absolute kick to a tip flex fast actionr od, which I find to be extremely boring.

I have no interest in fast action rods, they do not suit how I fish or what gives me enjoyment in casting. Slow rods do. Fiberglass delivers slow action with more perceived durability than bamboo.

Yes, yes, bamboo makers will tell you how durable boo really is. I don't doubt them, but I do wonder about it every single time I took my _cheap_ rod out to be fished. That was not fun for me.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 13:35

gfen,

I agree about rod action, if you ever want to build a full flex glass rod, don't worry about how the blank is labeled, an ultra light spinning or noodle rod blank makes a good one. If it's longer than you want take a fine tooth hacksaw blade and take some off the butt.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 13:56

From NC PA Mountains
I have a 6' 9" 3wt 4pc blank on it's way to me to build for brook trout streams up here in Potter. I found a guy on ebay from Maine that had some for sale. I got his last one. He does have a 7' 2pc...http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiberglass-Fly-Ro ... ain_0&hash=item35b0fd20de

Posted on: 2011/3/29 13:58

From NC PA Mountains
gfen....
what blank is the one pictured?

Posted on: 2011/3/29 14:00

From NC PA Mountains
Here's a link to some gorgeous glass rods...
http://graywolfrods.blogspot.com/

Posted on: 2011/3/29 14:06

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com