Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Gayle simplicity no.2 fly reel?

From York, PA
Just won a Gayle reel off the big auction site for $10. It is the simplicity no.2 model and is 2.5" in diameter. I know that it is a very old reel but was wondering if anybody has any experience using this reel. I have a Cabelas CGR 5'9" 3wt ordered that should be here friday and figured the smaller reel would match up good.

I know that it was never a high end reel but I would like to hear your opinions so that I can know what to expect.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 22:36

Re: Gayle simplicity no.2 fly reel?

Cute little vintage reel, from around the 1890-1920 era. "Caged" spool- the inner spool has ventilated ribs, which allows silk line to dry more easily. Capacity abound 40 yards of G level line. It might fit half of a modern 3 weight DT line comfortably. Very lightweight. Caliper check reel with a fairly loud click, balanced to run in either direction. The check can be switched out for free spooling use. Chrome plated brass- most of them have some blistering and peeling of the chrome finish. If the caliper check isn't worn, it should work just fine as a reel for brookie streams, or in situations where you're playing fish by hand. The click drag is light, and not really something I'd count on to wear out a healthy brown trout. If I recall correctly, the reel has a double handle with an axle. Be careful to keep your line from getting behind the handle.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 1:08

Re: Gayle simplicity no.2 fly reel?

From Northumberland County

Posted on: 2012/5/24 12:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com