furled leaders

jayL

jayL

I've been using furled leaders since right after I began flyfishing. Hell, I don't know how long its been--- probably six or seven years.

I began to use them back in the day when I couldn't tie a proper blood knot and changed flies alot. Before I knew it, I would be at the fat end of the tapered mono leader and it was useless.

I've thought about tying my own leaders, but all of those knots look like tangles and breakoffs waiting to happen.

Anyone here fish furled leaders? Anyone not like them?

I guess my point is that I don't know why I fish them, and I kind of want to get some input as to whether I should try something else. I'm not exactly a "if it ain't broke...." kind of guy to say the least.

I use the feather-craft furled leaders all the time. I do tie my own leaders as well, but the furled laeders are easy to change for tippet size and length. They also cast very well and last a long time. I use them primarily because it allows me to spend more time fishing and less time tying knots.

I've been using them since I swapped tying materials for some with a guy on the old Virtual Fly Shop chat room. So I guess that makes it about 9 years. I still have one of the original ones though its length is much reduced. Fortunately, I know some folks who are willing to swap them for flies or materials and I managed to keep myself supplied. All the ones I have are made from tying thread, and I use them mainly for top water fishing though I have no problem drifting a nymph with one. I prefer thread ones over the ones made from mono or fluorocarbon. I may pick one up to try with my sinking lines.
After I used my first one I never tied another leader. Right now I've got them to cover all my fishing from trout to saltwater.

I'm interested in furled leaders. I currently use knotless mono tapered leaders. I tried braided leaders along time ago and wasn't thrilled with them. They sprayed water and didn't float very well.

My question about furled leaders are: Do they float well? Do they spray water when casting? Do they turn over a fly well? How long of a tippet section can you attach and still turn over a dry fly? Are they more supple than mono to cast s-curves in them? Are they alot more visible in the water than mono?

I'm a fanatic about my leader floating well to eliminate drag and make mends. I tried Orvis hi-float leaders and found them only marginally better than regular mono. I'm always looking for something that works better and is easier to use. Convince me.

I don’t know if you seen this http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185 Also, Kathy Scott makes an excellent furled leader she also has a DVD on how to make furled leaders. She has several books out I read "Moose in the Water, Bamboo on the Bench" and " Headwaters Fall as Snow". On day I’ll try making them.

Joe E

I used them for several years before I started tying my own leaders. I prefer my own leaders to the furled. I find that I can turn the fly over better with the ones I make. Also they seem to pick up off the water better.

Tying your own is very easy and saves money after the initial investment. I also enjoy being able to tie a leaders that are suited to various situations. Short to Long and everything in between.

I'm still new to this what is a furled leader ? And what is it made of ? And what are its strenths and weaknes's ?

A furled leader is basically a woven leader segment to which tippet or more leader is attached. The one i use, i've had it so long that I forget which brand it is... sucks too because I want to get a new one soon. It's basically a 4 foot long woven synthetic butt section leader.

I attach a length of 3x tippet blood knotted to a length of 5x tippet for nymphing. For dries, I top it all off with a little 6x. Sometimes, I'll attach a big streamer directly to the 3x in dirty water.

I like how they cast and that they are very very low maintainence if you just take decent care of them (like many good fly fishing products). They cast well and are pretty stealthy if you add enough tippet.

The weaknesses... well, just don't ever wind knot one bad.

If you buy one, don't balk at the price. They can be up to $15 or so, but they last for multiple seasons.

The link a few posts up is real informative.

I use the furled mono leaders from feather -craft for 98% of my fishing, including saltwater. I tie my own leaders for streamers and steelheads.They have a cool little metal O-ring to which you tie your tippet material. They float high, don't spray and I can turn over as much a 5 ft of tippet. I normally use the 6' length with 3 ft of tippet or for ultra spooky fish, the 9 ft length w/ 4 or 5 feet of tippet. They are a little expensive, but they last for seasons. I have furled leaders I have been using for 3 years with plenty of use left. The price is around $15, but if you get 4 or 5 years from them it is cost effective, perhaps more so than tying your own. Just a thought.

I've used a furled leader for the last two years and like it quite a bit. I tie my own leaders for special circumstances (Gary Lafontaine has a killer dry fly formula that stacks the tippet), but for general purpose, the furled leader rolls over nicely and can be tapered with tippet from 4x to 6x in the usual manner.

I agree, that you really don't want a bad wind knot. If you get one, just wait until you're home to try and fix it. The other "problem" is that if you absolutely have to pull on the leader to release a snag, the furled leader comes back at you with some velocity and in a heck of a bird's nest. Fortunately, it just takes a minute or so of smoothing before it's back in shape.

I haven't noticed any splashing or pick up problems. I would say, though, that in gin clear water (which I seldom see) or one of those finicky streams where a whiff of wind puts fish down, I'd go to a clear leader.
Coughlin

If anyone needs pm me I carry and build them. :)

Back