furled leaders.

C

chris5470

What do you think of them?

The real benefit of them is delicate presentation. So I'd say that they are worth looking into if you fish small dry flies. Of course you can still use them with other types of flies, but that's the niche. I'm told they don't spray water as badly as braided leaders.

I fished them, as well as braided leaders, exclusively for a while. If you search the forum, you can find old threads where I asked the exact same question as you.

I got away from them because I had some problems with the loop ends coming undone. I know you can tie them better, or put a metal loop in the end, but I said to hell with it and started using mono.

I have a furled leader from Feather Craft with the stainless ring on the end. I use it on my 8 wt. It doesn't get or hold kinks. I only use 2X Fluorocarbon and when the tippet gets eaten-up enough, I bust it off and loop a new 3 foot section on. I don't like the tendency of mono butt sections to hold coils. It ruins your presentation. Sometimes you get a coil or a kink that just will not come out after streching. I really like the performance of the furled leaders. I don't see many disadvantages of them besides cost. None of the shortcomings of them (visibility and spray) have manifested themselves enough to disuade me from using them on trout or bass. I think of them as an addition to my fly line. Just looping on tipet is a great, easy modification. You can't beat their presentation, even on nymphs, because they are more limp and they straighten right out for use. A big trout on Penn's C&R wrapped me tight around something deep. I ended up busting the leader above the ring. So I haven't fished on for trout since then, but will replace it this winter.
If you are afraid of the leader's visibility, add a 1 ft hunk of 2X larger tippet and then down to your normal tipped. You can do 4 ft. tippets with that. I did this, being overly cautious, but went back to the normal configuration. I didn't need any such set up for the conditions. But if you do, know this trick. It works and will present a fly in a critical situation better than mono.
Syl

Back