From our friends at Sage

V

VTPAangler

Behold ya'll...........The Circa.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2012/06/28/new-sage-rod-series-has-new-technology-old-school-feel/#axzz1zWNgsKav

They make some nice gear. That msrp is a bit painful though.

I'll admit, I'm interested but not in the price.

i'll keep rolling pennies for next year....

the super-med action rod

science and marketing miss the point.

tip flex, fast action rods dry flies as well as cast with less false casting. classic "dry fly action" rods are always faster.

the pleasure of casting is because the mass of the tip provides feedback. its not about being slow, its about holding mass.

some of you already know my feelings on the cork. uplocking reel seats are stupid and its a shame about cutting that corner. alternately, with holding that, this proves my point. turkey, i believe you have a pm somewhere.

i'm sure its a wonderfully precision piece of high end equipment. many people will enjoy them. to you all, good luck with that.

funny. first it was fast faster fastest, now it's gonna be slow slower slowest.
all marketing and reinventing something that has already existed for years. they are simply trying to sell rods.

gfen wrote:
science and marketing miss the point.

tip flex, fast action rods dry flies as well as cast with less false casting. classic "dry fly action" rods are always faster.

the pleasure of casting is because the mass of the tip provides feedback. its not about being slow, its about holding mass.

some of you already know my feelings on the cork. uplocking reel seats are stupid and its a shame about cutting that corner. alternately, with holding that, this proves my point. turkey, i believe you have a pm somewhere.

i'm sure its a wonderfully precision piece of high end equipment. many people will enjoy them. to you all, good luck with that.

More mass = more weight, and more weight is a PITA to FISH with, IMO. I enjoy casting and fishing light weight rods.....thank you very much.

Downlocking reel seats....pooh! The lightweight rods of today balance better/easier with uplocking reels seats. Also, a bonus is you tuck the butt of the rod against your body when reeling w/o the reel bumping up against you.

I'd give up FFing if I had to fish one of G's precious Medalist reels....on a downlocking reel seat, yet! It would be twice as butt-heavy as jLo.

As always, YMMV.

Dang Tom! Tell us what yuh really think. :)

Don't see the knock against uploading reel seats.
As a streamer fisherman I am with the fast action crowd for sure.
Been around long enough to have seen the glass to graphite move-all my glass went in the garbage after one day with graphite.
Next step-fenwick to sage.Another trip to the garbage cans,lol

I generally like faster action rods for most work. "Backbone" is what I'm looking for. And if I had to pick one rod for the rest of my life it'd be a fairly light, fast action graphite stick that feels like a rocket. Casts easy with loads of "reserve" power.

But when I do use slower action, I'm with gfen here. I like em heavier. Get that tip momentum thing going. As far as being a PITA to fish with, I assume your talking about arm fatigue? For me, that's more about balance than total weight. If it's tip heavy, yes my arm gets fatigued. But if it's balanced, even if that means higher total weight, my arm feels fine after a long day. I've gone as far as wrapping lead under the backing.

It seems to me that these rods fill a niche that is already occupied by the ZXL series. I hope they don't discontinue those in exchange for these as they are the best rods Sage currently makes IMO. They seem to have a habit of doing exactly that however. For instance replacing the Z-Axis with the One in spite of the fact that it was their best selling rod in history.

I see that they are going to have a 8'9" 3wt in the series. If it is anything like my 389 LL then they'll have a real winner. I'm a little dubious about a full wells grip on a lightweight rod though.

I think I will stay with my two Sage SLT rods. IMO they are just right. Not too fast or slow.

I'm with biker fish on this one.

Rods have gotten lighter, stiffer, and longer.
Reels have gotten heavier and more complex.

To each their own except I wonder why someone would buy a new graphite rod that is intended to mimick the feel of bamboo and glass when they can just buy a bamboo or glass rod.

because bamboo and glass are dead and no good fish would ever take a fly presented by such equipment ;-)

afishinado wrote:
More mass = more weight, and more weight is a PITA to FISH with, IMO. I enjoy casting and fishing light weight rods.....thank you very much.

Downlocking reel seats....pooh! The lightweight rods of today balance better/easier with uplocking reels seats. Also, a bonus is you tuck the butt of the rod against your body when reeling w/o the reel bumping up against you.

I'd give up FFing if I had to fish one of G's precious Medalist reels....on a downlocking reel seat, yet! It would be twice as butt-heavy as jLo.

As always, YMMV.

You're smarter than this, which leads me to believe you're simply trolling for effect. Fair enough.

That said, you're wrong and I'm not motivated to explain why mostly because I don't care. And, to combat any future smugness in which you attempt to utilize sales figures, to that I say, "pet rocks were also wildly successful."

Good luck with your endeavours.

I've messed with sages rods and they were like fishing a broomstick. Picked up every model and set it down in 5 seconds or less. Meanwhile I'd like to see their "slow" rod. And I agree with gfen downward locking is by far the way to go.

IdratherbePhishing wrote:
I've messed with sages rods and they were like fishing a broomstick. Picked up every model and set it down in 5 seconds or less. Meanwhile I'd like to see their "slow" rod. And I agree with gfen downward locking is by far the way to go.

Have you tried an older LL or SLP? I like the feel of those.

I prefer downlocking as well but the large arbor reels or any reel with a large diameter could be awkard. The only advantage I can fathom is that I never get a line wrap around with my downlock seat rods, but do with my uplocks. I also prefer the grips that typically come with a downlock, namely the Fenwick style or cigar. A downside to downlocks is that you are always putting the edge of the reel on the ground when you lean it up against something.

Balance and feel trump everthing else in making this decision, however.

At the heart of the issue is at least partially an aesthetic decision made by rod makers and their preference for the reverse half wells grip, which frankly looks lame if you put a downlocking reel seat on it. Looks don't matter when it comes to performance, but they do matter to anyone who designs and tries to sell rods. Afterall, rods, reel seats, and reels are not just tools; they are like fishermen jewelry, and I think we all have some sort of preference regarding the aesthetics of these items even if vaguely understood.

For anything with a fighting butt or that you intend to use as a fighting an uplock is just common sense practical, though for me that is only in rods 7 weight or higher.

bikerfish wrote:
because bamboo and glass are dead and no good fish would ever take a fly presented by such equipment ;-)
My first trout this year on a size 24 trico was caught on June 23rd with my 1970 vintage fiberglass Phillipson DF76 "Swamp Fox". IMO it is really fun to fish with older fly tackle. Bamboo and glass are far from dead sir. :)

Ah yes,bamboo and glass,now that's truly a weighty subject :)

Back