Framed Pontoon Help...

drews

drews

Ok guys a friend and I are looking to get a 2-3 man (probably can only afford a 2 man) framed pontoon boat to drift fish... We have been looking and have it narrowed to the following list below... we were wondering if anyone has any feedback/reviews pros/cons for any or all of these... they are all about the same size and cost were looking to see which are more durable better construction etc... we will probably not be using a trolling motor instead mostly rivers/streams... thanks for your feedback!

1) Scadden McKenzie Drifter 13'

2) OutCast FishCat 13'

3) Buck's Bags Head Hunter (I believe comes in 10')

OK. Here ya go. Specs for each boat posted in separate posts.

Outcast FC 13' retails for $2250-2450

Bucks Bags
Headhunter model retails for $2195-2400
Double Haul model retails for $2800-ish

NFO / Scadden
McKenzie Drifter current show special $2000 (according to website)
Outlaw Avenger XX current show special $2400

The NFO boats are the lightest, carry the most weight.
PM me if you need any more help.

calling Krayfish...

edit: how the...how did you reply before I posted? Quick little bugger.

FishCat 13’
This affordably-priced two-person fishing boat has an aluminum frame and PVC pontoons. Its durable materials and design can withstand rugged river conditions. Remove the front frame module for a great one-person expedition raft.

Boat Specs

Inflated Size: 65" x 13'
Valve Type: 2-Summit
Weight: 170 lbs.
Load Capacity: 750 lbs.
Frame: 11-piece aluminum
Anchor System: Included
Motor Mount: Optional
Oar Type: 8” 2-pc
Tube Diameter: 20"
Fabric: 1000 PVC/1000 PVC
Material Weight: 32/32 oz/sq. yd.
AireCell Material: Vinyl
Seam Construction: Sewn
Warranty: 5

Bucks Bags Double Haul (one step up from Headhunter model)

The pontoons on this craft are constructed from 22oz. PVC enamel coated polyester on top and a bulletproof 40oz material on the bottom where most abrasions occur. These 13 ½’ pontoons are incredibly tough! The Double Haul also comes fully equipped with a solid standing brace mounted to a unique molded platform. The brace is padded for comfort and has an effective stripping basket. Other standard features include 8’ aluminum breakdown oars, deluxe tackle pockets with tippet dispensers and insulated drink holders, two elevated padded seats for comfort and effective fishing position (rower’s seat is adjustable), large cargo decks fore and aft for loads of extra gear or overnighters and an adjustable rower’s platform for easy entry and exit as well as a place to stand for fishing while anchored. Also included is a solid anchor system with our patented Line-Lock system for easy anchor release and retrieval. The Double Haul has evolved into one of the most practical and maneuverable two-person crafts you will find. It is lightweight and portable, yet offers all of the necessary features to effectively fish your favorite lakes and streams. The needs of both the fisherman and oarsman have been carefully considered, creating a superior fishing craft. The Double Haul also easily breaks down for travel. 5 year warranty

You will find the Double Haul to be the most rugged and loaded two-person boat on the market!

Weight Capacity = 600lbs.
Inflated Size = 162" Long x 63" Wide
Shipping Size = 2 boxes, 48" x 24" x 10" each
Shipping Weight = 130lbs.

Outlaw Avenger XX Specifications

Length: 12'
Width: 68"
Diameter: 18"
Weight: 85 lbs.
Weight Capacity: 1200 lbs.
Frame: Lazer-Lok XX
Frame Material: Alcoa 6061 t65
Pontoons: Bladderless
Oars: Alcoa 6061 T65
Oar Locks: Cobra-Lite
Seat: Padded
Anchor System: Thru the Frame
Whitewater Rating: Class V
Warranty: Lifetime

McKenzie Drifter Specifications

Length: 13'
Width: 68"
Diameter: 18"
Weight: 82 lbs.
Weight Capacity: 800 lbs.
Frame: Lazer XX
Frame Material: Alcoa 6061 T65
Pontoons: Bladderless
Oars: Alcoa 6061 T65
Oar Locks: Bronze
Seat: Padded
Anchor System: Thru the Frame
Whitewater Rating: Class IV
Warranty: Lifetime

If you want more Info.... I believe the outcast is made by Aire and they do white water rafts. DaveS has the AvengerXX and I've fished / rowed it several times. Nice boat, stable and I like the way the frame sits inside the bladders. Dealing with NFO is sometimes frustrating. Expect a delay when shipping. I've heard horror stories but have had pretty good luck with them. If you go with NFO, tell them you are part of 'the east coast gang'. Might help in getting order shipped quicker.

Where you going to use it?

Other things to consider if you haven't already.....

Transport. Big pick up or trailer will be very helpful, life vests, anchor, spare oarlock, spare oar, patch kit, duct tape, spare straps, zip ties, etc. You float the Lehigh or Yough and something breaks 3 miles into a 13 float, you will have serious problems / it's dangerous.

Wow Kray!! Thanks. The specs we have looked at forever...the only toon I've fished (numerous times) was a creek company... I believe Ive got that one down.... I guess Im wondering about "personal experiences" guys have withe the different boats... Reading other forum posts the there have been countless remarks about the McKenzi drifter having frame issues and that the customer service being lets say subpar... Were wondering about longevity of the toons etc... Bottom line we cannot decide.... Your prices were spot on...we were leaning toward scadden but after what we read .... Thinking maybe fishcat....

Where did you read about McKenzie frame issue? Unless it's an old model, the frames are pretty much all the same. I could connect my X5 frame to NickR's McKenzie outfitter XXX.

I'll give you examples of durability....... My boat had the lower end pontoons (w/ bladders). They got 6 years of pretty hard use and hundreds of river miles on them including a few miles of dragging. I'd guess they've got another 5-10 years left in them. Ratchet strap wore a hole through the cover and bladder. 10 minutes....patched and hasn't leaked since (4+ years)

Last year, wehad boats fly off the trailer at 70 mph. One went 30' in the air before doing cartwheels down Rt 17. The boat frame did break break but we had to search for damage on it. Any other boat would have exploded into pieces. Got the frame welded...good as new. One of the other boats got caught in straps and was dragged. Couple of patches, aquaseal and right back to fishing.

The boat design and durability makes up for any shortcomings on customer service. Dave will make it right if there's an issue.

I bought a used cataraft, star frame, 14' NRS tubes. Came with a 10' worthington trailer. I paid 2k. Simply put...it's bad a$$. I mainly use it for smallie fishing on the susky, Mac and Shenandoah. I built a transom in which I can use my 2.5 hp 4 stroke outboard and go way up a river. One thing I would recommend is to be sure you get counter weighted oars. They will save your arms after a day of rowing. Tonight I started to install a 55 lb maxxum bow mount. It's going to be sweet to cover water instead of rowing and messing with the drag anchor all the time.

Regardless of what you purchase, you're going to get addicted to it. I prefer taking my raft out over my jet boat....

Midge,

I also have a Worthington...great trailer. Too bad they went out of business. You are 100% right on getting addicted to whatever you buy.

If you are going with a 2-man consider one of NFO's frameless models. I have the Excalibur and it is awesome for a 2 man drift on ANY river....

Drews, Not trying to change your mind...just food for thought.
A 2 man toon I would suspect, needs 2 men to be efficient. Give a little thought to getting 2 solo boats. You can still float together and be able to hit your preferred area of water while your buddy hits his favorite spots. Also, if one can't make it, you can still hit the water when you want. Last year I picked up a Dave Scadden Assault at the Lancaster Fly Show for $1000. Tough as nails and nothing to assemble...just inflate. I really like this boat. I believe Scadden will be back this year at the show with boats to see.
Ok, good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy.

Schiff,

Op was looking for 'framed'. The frameless are crazy light. I just don't like the shorter oars or knowing that the oarlocks are glued to the bladders. Framed is twice as heavy but solid and standing platform is great (if you have a need for it). I didn't think about simply getting 2 sinle man pontoons. Good catch and it would work out to about the same expense.

As for 2 guys needed for 2 man boat...not true. Take 1/2 the frame off and you just have a big 1 man boat.

Pros for 2 man boat:
Take turns rowing / fishing
Rower can slow boat allowing more casts at targets

Cons:
Heavier to row
You miss 50% of the fishing time (oar duty)
--------------------------

Pros for 1 man boat:
Lighter
Allows angler to split up and both fish at the same time

Cons
PIA to drag around by yourself

Thanks guys... I have drifted many times in a 3 man creek craft and am very comfortable with that boat but its time for my own... I have a buddy that's willing to split with me an we cannot decide between 2/3 man... $ definitely an issue... As for a one man rig I just never knew if it would work. We've fished clarion river mostly which is small water but I know we're looking to hit some bigger water too in pa... We streamer fish primarily but will stop an nymph / dry's etc... I just figured a one man rig would be real hard to navigate an fish... We've been looking for used stuff but it goes like hot cakes on line. Thanks for the input guys.

Drews, just to address your concerns on control. My Assualt has oars, but the front is open and you use fins...it is a raft/kickboat.
I have found the fins are a fantastic way to keep you positioned to exactly where you want to be. With a slight wave of your foot, the boat responds and you stay aimed where you want to. You never have to take your hands off the fly rod. It works very well.
I float the Delaware, Lehigh and Susqy rivers, as well as smaller streams and lakes. It is rated for class V water. I am not. I have taken it through some rapids that I would not have attempted with my canoe or Yak though. Lastly, since it is open in front, if you come to a spot that you would like to fish, you can simply stand up if it isn't too deep of course. Google the Scadden Assault to see some videos and specs....they stand up in boat and fish, but I don't see that as very productive or easy to do. Then again, they are trying to sell boats.
I am partial. I have a solo canoe, solo SOT yak and this solo raft. I don't like to have to depend on someone else to go out. Sometimes people switch jobs or get pushed to second shift and I don't like to spend time putting my boat together once I am ready to fish.
That is just me though.
Ok, I'll stop now, as I think I am starting to sound pushy and that is not my intention.

You are correct that streamer fishing from a single boat iisn't exactly fun and it's probably less effective / efficient. From a 2 - 3 man boat or drift boat, much easier which = more fun.

I have used my x5 on Delaware, Susky near Hbg, Juniata, and Lehigh. Have used 2 man toon on Delaware and Yough. You should have zero concerns about the boats capabilities.

We have devised a method known as "the white trash drift boat". It works for streamer, nymph or dry fishing in mild sections of the river. We clip the rear boat to the front boat with stainless steel spring clips. Back boat gently back rows and steers while front boat stands and fishes. Works pretty good. Bladderless models don't have the required "d" rings so you have to buy them from NRS and install them. Since the boats pivot a little, you have to be easy on the oars or you'll dump the front man out of the boat. You'll getthe hang of it in 5 minutes and I announce 'hold on' if a strong oar stroke is needed. It works good enough LOL.

It sounds like you should probably get the 2 man model. If you head out alone, you can remove the front seat and put a turf covered platform on the front half of boat. Get to a big flat section and you can hop up front and start slinging streamers. If you are torn between a boat with 2 single pontoons versus the wraparound 'unitrac' pontoon, I'll recommend the unitrac. It's a tad heavier, has 4 chambers but it feels more solid. The frame and bladders feel like they are 1 solid piece. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up getting.

+1 for NFO. I have a 2 man and love it. easy to set up, take down... I don't have a trailer so entire boat, frame, oars, etc. are packed into the back of my Subaru. Very stable, easy to row.

I did have issues with the customer service when ordering some accessories... Basically, took forever to get delivered, but I will say that the one item I had a problem with NFO took care of right away. I wouldn't let this be a deal breaker.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am currently shopping for the same thing. I hope I can add my research to it as I also learned from lurking on the forum for the last few days. I will be buying the NFO McKenzie Drifter. I looked at a few of the fish cats and such, I just can not beat the warranty and the fact that it is so light, and I can convert it from two to one person. I emailed them the other night for suggestions along with Outcast and the email I received back from Scadden was great. Very helpful people. Outcast, I like their boats, but, their customer service was not helpful and I learned more about their product by reading here and other areas on the web. There is a show in New Jersey this weekend that they are at if anyone is interesting.

Back