For those who float...

MrMustard

MrMustard

After reading a recent stream report on a Yough float trip, I've been giving some serious consideration to getting a pontoon. I'd rather not invest a ton of money into a boat, and I have actually been looking at one (online) for a bit, but have no experience with a toon yet.

I would mostly be floating the Yough from Ramcat to Ohiopyle, with a few possible trips to the Clarion as well. Realistically, and unfortunately, with my schedule I would be looking at a potential of 3-6 floats a year at most.

Do those of you that have experience think this boat could handle the Yough? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Boat

It seems to have good reviews, but I'm worried it may be too much on the cheap-side. I've floated the yough once in an inflatable kayak and definietly had a few bumps along the way.

3-6 floats a year adds up to 10-20 floats over three years. If it were me, I'd spend a little more money for a beefier boat. I got mine used for a little more than twice what you would spend on the boat you are looking at. Especially if you are willing to look at a used boat, I think you can find something nice that will last a few years in the $4-600 range.

I'd be concerned about the oar system on the boat you are looking at for fast moving water like the Yough. The oars are clamped on and if an oar were to strike a boulder (as is likely on the Yough), something will have to give. The higher end boats use a traditional oar lock that allows the oar to slide. I think the boat you are looking at would be fine for still water or a gentle float, but not for the middle Yough. Just my 2 cents.

If you want help, here ya go. I've bought, junked and bought again. The water I float is nothing compared to the Yough. Trust me, you'll want to find a few more dollars to get a boat or hold off until next year. Your life depends on that hunk of metal and plastic. I don't see anything new under the $650-750 price point....not for that river.

I'd stay away from the nylon / cloth covers. Try to find an aluminum framed model (lighter and won't rust). Keep an eye on craigslist for used boats. Pick one up cheap and see if it's something that you'll enjoy doing. It's a 1st rate PITA to use a pontoon. They are quite useful though.

If you enjoy it, get serious by getting a boat with anchor system,sstanding platform, etc. Good luck and I think you'll enjoy it.

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for. I figured it may not be up to the task at that price point.

When my pontoon makes it back from Montana in a few weeks you are welcome to take it for a spin

That would be awesome, thanks man.

I see you are in Pittsburgh-have you taken many Yough trips with it?

I have one for sale for 200.00
classic pontoon 2 years old.

Sandlfy - I'm guess that means that the pontoons are not inflatable. One of the reasons I was interested in that particular boat was the potential to deflate the pontoons for transport. I only have a small car, and no trailer hitch.

Just wondering, how do you normally transport yours?

here is a pic of it, I will let the home made anchor and rod holders go with.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 4
Mr. M,

There ya go. Inexpensive way to figure out if floating is for you. You can deflate the pontoons in 30 seconds. Roll em up, put them on a rubbermaid container, remove the oars and pull 2 pins on the frame. You will get efficient at it and learn to loathe it. In 1-2 trips, you will figure out how to tie it to the roof or find a buddy with a pick up to fish with. Picture 8 hours of fishing & rowing The last thing you want to do is f around with a boat in the dark. Good way to lose parts. Before getting a trailer, I'd go to the Delaware and float for 3-4 days. Every evening, deflate and take it apart. Every morning, blow up and assemble. Now, the boat just stays put together from the first week of April until October. I then winterize and put in the basement. You'll figure out a system that will work for you.

Mr Mustard, Mr Krayfish is the one responsible for my pontoon. He got me hooked and knows of what he speaks. The Yough is NOT to be taken lightly, as Alby pointed out. If you get, or borrow a boat, let me know I'd be happy to join you on a float. Its a lot of fun, a great way to cover the water, and as long as you don't get careless, pretty safe.

If your looking to buy a new boat or pontoon, take a look at sea eagle, http://www.seaeagle.com/FramelessPontoonBoats.aspx, they have good products and may have something you would like. I have one of the se9 boats and I like it. I haven't had it on the water that much due to health problems but it is rated for, I think, class 3 white water without the floor boards, and with the floor in it it is very stable and easy to handle. Their pontoons look very nice and maybe a step above some of the other offerings out there.
Best of luck
Sam

Sandly- Thank you for the offer; I am definitely interested in the pontoon. Unfortnately, the 4+ hour drive limits my availability to come get it in the next couple weeks. Perhaps a camping trip to Colton Point is order soon... I will keep you posted to check if it is still available.

Dave- Thanks, that would be great. I'm sure having someone show me the ropes would cut the learning curve quite a bit. I have floated the Yough before, but in an inflatable 2 person Kyak. I'm guessing a pontoon would be a different experience all together.

Cricket- I have look at the Sea Eagle line as well. For some reason those boats seemed more geared toward still water to me. Though they do look nice.

No offense Sam but for $700 you can get a much better boat than that sea eagle.

Mr. Mustard....... PM sent

I even have a brand new double pump and the zippered case for it.

Krayfish, you have a pm.
Sam

2 replies sent.

been looking at the sundolphin 12 foot ss kayak. Looks like a real nice kayak for fishing.

Back