Foam boxes ruining hackles

chstrcntyfish

chstrcntyfish

Well, I haven't gotten a chance to fish during the spring, and that means no dries for a beginner, and all of the flies I own stay in my two boxes. I checked out my dry fly box when putting some fresh ties in. I looked at my little collection of store bought flies and noticed all of the hackles are bent up. I'm thinking I need new fly box before I start tying my own hackled flies. What should I get? I can really see spending alot on a fly box yet. I'm also thinking maybe something for the flies that aren't even in season so they don't stay in my box.

I keep out of season dries organized in old plastic compartmentalized lure boxes. Then, in my vest, the in-season dries are held in 2 separate plastic boxes that cost a buck a piece at Wal-Mart. These vest boxes are about 5 inch by 3 inch and have six compartments. Each compartment holds about a half-dozen flies without smashing them.

For your flies that got smashed, you can try holding them in the escaping steam from a tea kettle. Often this will pop them back into shape. Just make sure to let them dry or dry them with a hairdryer before storing away so they don't rust.

I switched to the C&F boxes the other year and my crushed hackle problems stopped. The small ones can carry a ton of flies and you can get a threader option to for when your eyes are not working up to par.

C&F boxes are nice.

For off-season flies, I keep them in open compartment boxes, like Jack, in lure boxes or nut and bolt boxes.

My advise on not buying an "expensive" fly box, is this: you will eventually so might as well now. If you wait, you'll buy a $10 box now and $40 box later spending more than you would have if you just bought the $40 one originally.

If you value your flies get a C&F box. They really protect your flies well and are worth the extra money.

Are you implying that anyone that doesn't use a C & F box doesn't value their flies? That seems a very strong presumption. I would bet my finest rod against a C & F box that I have climbed more trees to retrieve a fly than you have-- and believe me, that would be an even bet cost-wise. :cool:

I know its illegal but I've cut down trees before to get my flies back...also got a lot of other's flies too doing that. A Gerber saw is sometimes nice to carry along. I'm just saying I think C&F boxes take care of your flies better then the other boxes on the market. The compartment boxes are not bad but I hate taking them out on the stream because I've had a gust of wind come by more then once and blow my flies everywhere.

Bigjohn58,
I would guess those flies your cutting trees down to retrieve are your secret flies that you get paranoid about people knowing.
Just like the song says- "Paranoia will destroy ya". Especially if a WCO sees you doing it.

But I do agree with the C&F boxes. I have a few of them and really like them. I recently saw an ad for a new line of boxes very similar to the C&F. I think they are made by Flambeau.

You bet they were some of my secret flies and if a WCO would see me doing this I would shake his hand. I am lucky to see one a year if that. They have basically no presence around here at all in my county. They are actually more concerned about catching people for rattle snakes then fishing violations.

PS don't get rid of those foam boxes...they are great for holding nymphs.

I had planned on keeping my foam boxes for nymphs. I might buy some kind of plastic container from wal-mart for my off season flies. As for a box to take on the water, I am wondering how many flies I actually need for now. I was thinking a medium size box for a couple caddis, some gray bodies, some BWO's but really I wouldn't know what flies to have in it...

Love the Dewitt compartment boxes, use only them for dries now after learning your lesson. Got a streamer compartment box, foam for nymphs and different size compartments for dries. Steam should straighten them right out, part of my preseaon routine for all my raggedy looking flies.

I recently purchased the new fly box from Flambeau http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/otdrs_fishing/ads/blueribbon_vffad.pdf.

I bought the medium size box. It's ok but it's not C&F.

Pros:
Cost was $15.00 at Wal-Mart. I believe at Cabelas it's 19.99.

It will hold your dries very nicely and protect the hackle.

It's waterproof.

Cons:
The foam ridges are a little high for smaller flies (#18 and smaller). Sometimes I felt that the hook was inserted but it wasn't. I can probably snip a little off the top to fix that.

I find waterproof boxes in general to be heavy and this was no exception. It seems this box is made with much more plastic than necessary.

The insert can only be used if you are storing nymphs or other hackleless flies. Otherwise everything will get squashed. Also, the insert sometimes comes loose when opening the box. I use the insert for holding completed flies at my tying table.

Alternative:

I've also modified Big Cliff boxes to handle dries better by using a raxor blade to slice the foam strips at intervals. This gives you a nice box with both foam and magnetic patches. I did this because I really like the magnetic patches on Big Cliff for small nymph, tricos and such. This way I can easily carry a day's worth of flies (streamers, dries, nymphs) in one box. Still, I like the C&F foam the best. Maybe I'll customize a C&F box with a magnetic strip to have the best of everything.

I thought about one of those Flambeau boxes but when I finally saw one and picked it up it weighed way too much. Nice idea but way too much plastic and way too heavy.

IMHO C & F fly boxes are the best ever, and I have owned and looked at a bunch in my FF lifetime.

Back