Fly tying kit or buy tools separate?

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

Hi all, you have been a lot of help so far on my fly fishing journey. I have a question about fly tying supplies. I would like to learn to tie my own flies. I was wondering if you would recommend buying a decent quality kit or just buying the tools and supplies I need separate? I don't want to sink a ton of money into it right away, but also don't want a kit that has stuff in it I don't need. I'd be willing to spend $100 or so to just get started out. I figure I can learn from video's on the internet, books, and I have a friend that ties that will be moving back into my area in the near future that could help me out. I am looking to tie some of the flies I will be using on Penns Creek to start out. If I take a real liking to it, and can manage to tie well enough, I might be willing to tie some flies in the winter for some extra cash. Reason for that is I work for a construction company and I am laid off in the winter with too much spare time on my hands.

Thanks for any help here. If possible, point me in the right direction for decent quality stuff so I can get started.

I bought a cabelas kit, and within six months of serious use gave replaced everything except the hackle pliers.

Actually, the scissors did their duty, too.

The materials aren't bad, persay, except the hackles which are giant and webby. At the same time, I've supplemented alot.

If I could do it again, I'd but piecemeal and find someones used vise.

That said, there's a realconvience to a kit.

Pros and cons, you pay your money you make your choice.

I still use some of the tools from my cabela's tool kit. The rest got lost or replaced with time, but I'd consider it a good deal. I do still use the vise, bobbin, and hackle pliers.

I just got the tool kit. The materials kit is mostly junk.

Like Jay, I have the Cabelas tool kit (it was a gift). I use it for my road kit. I replaced most of the tools and the vise (gave them away), but I still have the wooden tool box carrier! All in all the tool kit is serviceable though, not a bad starter kit.

Also I agree with Jay, thumbs down on the materials with any tying kit. Pick some flies you fish all the time and want to learn to tie. Go through the materials list and buy that stuff along with some hooks. Also, stay away from hackled dries in the beginning (DF necks/saddles are very expensive). You can build an inventory of useful materials from there. Good luck.

Buy what you "need" seperately.

Vise - smaller jaws will be more useful than bigger ones. Rotary is more of a gimmic that puts the cost up than a useful feature.

Scissors - can't go wrong with Dr. Slick micro tips - this is probably the most important tool to get a good one.

Bobbin - cheap bobbins usually have burrs in the tube that cut/fray the thread

Barb smashing pliers with smooth jaw - go to Lowes for these. Needle nose pliers in a hardware store cost not even half of what "flytying" needle nose pliers cost, but do the same job.

Hair stacker - you can get away with .44 magnum shell for this. Don't need if you are not tying patterns with stacked hair, such as elk hair caddis patterns.

Hackle Pliers - only really needed if you have big fingers and are tying with small (size 18 and smaller) hackles for small dries. You shouldn't need them for buggers and big dries.

Whip Finishing tool/half hitch tool of some sort or learn to tie without

In a kit, you'll get a lot of stuff you won't need or use for some time and the tools will be inferior to what you'll buy seperately.

I've never seen a kit of tying materials that wasn't junk and full of stuff that has no practical use. As said above, decide on what you'll be tying and buy for those patterns. You'll get much better stuff.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Slate, I was thinking along the same lines but wanted it confirmed that was the best choice. I'm pretty sure I will just buy the stuff I need to get started separate.

I've been looking at vises and came across a Thompson Pro. It seems to be in my price range and from what I have researched, has been a good vise of choice for many years. Is this a decent starter vise and would you recommend the clamp or pedestal model? I do not have a specific desk that I will be tying at yet. It will be the kitchen table or a card table for now.

Thanks again everyone!

I wouldn't tie without a pedestal. The freedom to move it around is huge to me.

Agree on all, err, most. For the smooth pliers that Slate mentioned, my vice does the job just fine. That said, a pair of smooth jawed needlenose is pretty dang cheap, and you probably already have them.

Agree with Jay that I like the pedestal base for travel purposes, it's plenty heavy as to not move around while tying.

My kit (also a gift) was pretty much junk. The vice was terrible. The materials were largely useless, though some did get used sparingly. I got use out of the streamer hooks. And the tools did their purpose and still do, though the scissors weren't real good and remain my "wire cutting" pair.

After the vice, the scissors are probably the most important tool to not cheap out on. Never use your good scissors to cut hard items!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Dr-Slick-Company.html

For tools, that may be the best bunch of deals anywhere.

Regarding a vise, I kind of disagree with Pat. I use an old AA vise, and I am totally unable to convince myself to drop any money on anything better. I tie a lot of flies, and it works fine. I'd certainly love to have a new one, but I can't justify the expense. I've even tied on some great vises (though I didn't really use the rotary feature since I'm not used to it). Still sticking with my AA. What am I missing?

Well, I dunno that you have to go expensive on the vice. The jaws are what matters to me; they have to hold hooks securely. All hooks, from big streamer hooks down to size 26 midges, and I don't want to deal with changing jaws out. After that, nothin impresses me much.

I have a renzetti pedestal. I got it used for pretty cheap. I don't really use the rotary feature either, and I'm sure I'm not as accomplished a tyer as you are. Still struggling with wings and catskill style dry fly hackle, and I'm slow. But I've managed to tie my staple flies pretty well (various nymphs, comparaduns, parachute, spinners, etc.), so that I don't spend a small fortune ever year buying flies at a fly shop.

The jaws are whats important to me. My cheapo kit came with crappy rounded jaws that wouldn't hold anything under size 16 securely. I flung quite a few hooks across the room. My wife didn't like when they'd get in socks and then end up in the laundry! The whites. Use your imagination....

Ah.. yeah. Gotcha.

My AA has worked for hooks from 2/0 to 26. A hook slips now and then, but it's a once in a while thing.

My wife got me started with an Orvis beginner's kit five years ago. The materials were very good and I still use all of the tools. The best part was the book that came with the kit by Rosenbauer. It gave a good explanation of how to use every tool and included detailed directions for six different patterns. Far better than the one that came in the Cabelas kit I got "re-gifted".

Again, thanks everyone for the help.

So far, I just bought a new Thompson Pro vise for $15.50 on ebay. I am now looking into the other tools that I need. I have looked at Cabelas and I am also looking at the Dr. Slick tool gift set. I can get the Dr. Slick set for around $50 on Amazon or ebay. I'm not exactly sure what it will cost for quality tools from Cabelas, but from everything I have read, the Dr. Slick tools seem to be very high quality. Would you recommend cabelas or the Dr. Slick gift set?

Also wondering what is the best book I can get for patterns I will be using in central Pa and maybe some instruction for a beginner?

Thanks again guys. I appreciate the help.

I actually just put the stuff I was told I need and should have into a cart at Cabelas.com and I went with quality stuff instead of all the cheapest stuff. For ceramic bobbin, whip finisher, Dr. Slick scissors, a hair stacker, and hackle pliers, it comes to about $50-$55 before the shipping cost. I can get the gift set for around the same exact price with a bodkin and bobbin threader included.

Anyone ever use the Dr. Slick tools that come in this gift set? I'm really leaning towards that set.

Thanks again!

B&G - The Dr. Slick tools are decent, but overpriced. Those scissors are made overseas, and can be purchased for less.

This place has some nice tools pretty cheap:

http://flyshack.com/home.aspx

Just going down the list, I picked out tools that are at least the quality in the Dr. Slick set, plus a few extras.

Wood trim ceramic bobbin - $9.99
Large loop scissors, gold handle, straight tip 3 1/2" - $3.99
Roto hackle pliers (small) - $2.75
Black bodkin w/half hitch tool - $1.75
Fine tip tweezers 4" - $2.99
Matarelli style whip finisher (small) - $6.99
Wooden hair stacker - $5.99
Material spring - $.99

Total - $35.44.....This qualifies for free shipping!

The material spring wraps around the body of the vise, and provides a nice place to hold items tied in. Very handy. Looks like this:

Attachments

• vise.jpg
    vise.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 3
The only portion I would disagree with is the vise. Certain patterns (ie Clouser minnow) are a huge pain in the *** to tie without a rotary vise. I use mine all the time.

In addition to the rotating hackle pliers, a "midge" or small English-style hackle pliers.

Obtain a cheap plastic comb (the kind you can get from a barber shop for free) or better yet a flea comb, a container of Sally Hansen Hard-As-Nails (beats laqour), and a container of _brush on_ super/krazy glue.

I can't spell laquer this morning. Laquer. Laquer. Lauqouer. Whatever. I'll type this whole thing out here rather than try and look it up. Lacker.

Lacquer, ya slacker. :lol:

Good call on the Sally Hansens, my vertically gifted friend.

BTW - You'll notice I didn't include a bobbin threader in that list - 'cause you don't need one. Just insert the end of the thread in the bottom of the bobbin tube and suck it up like a straw. Wire bobbin threaders just wear the bobbin unnecessarily.

Man, these new tyers have it easy. They don't have to go through the trial and error process like us old farts did. Our loss, their gain!

Thanks again to everyone. Very helpful.

Heritage-Angler, I will be buying stuff you suggested. Looks like the quality I'm looking for and cheaper than the $50 for Dr. Slick stuff or Cabelas. Thanks again. I'm about to make an order to flyshack.com

Ok guys. Should be tying soon enough. My vise was shipped today and I placed my tool order today. I will pick up some super glue and a container of Sally Hansen Hard-As-Nails. I was wondering what the comb will be used for?

Also, any ideas for a good book with some instruction and patterns that I will be using here in central Pa?

Thanks again everyone! You have been very helpful. This forum and its members never disappoint.

Back