Fly tying gear

D

Dcap240

Hello everybody. I'm new here just registered a couple days ago and I have a question about tying. I've been fly fishing 6 years now and I've been dying to start tying so I've been asking around about gear and everybody says something different. I've been told that I need really good vise and tools, I've been told that I don't want an expensive vise and tools to start and I've been told everything in between. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now but I want to tie. Is a cheap cabelas starter kit or something similar worth it or not? I buy a lot of flies from different places and sometimes they just don't match what's hatching exactly, whether its color or size or shape. I would be tying small stuff, bwo's, sulphurs, caddis, stuff like that, mostly. Any input and suggestions will be much appreciated. I'm just talking about tools not materials. Or even better if anyone in or near the Lehigh valley area has an old vise or tools they want to sell that would be great. Please let me know what you think should I get something cheap I can learn on or should I wait until I have the money to spend ( which could be a while)? Thank you everyone.

The vise and tool kits from Cabelas are fine to figure out if you like tying. Frankly I know a lot of pretty avid fly fishermen who pretty much hate tying (includes me) and have a ton of money tied up in tools and materials (includes me). Get a cheap Cabelas tool and vise kit for $35 and see if you like it. Get some standard size dry fly hooks, a few nymph hooks, dubbing packs, thread spools in a couple colors, some cdc and have at it. No point in investing tons of money on hackle and what not until you figure out if you like it. The Cabelas kits that have the vise, tools and material are kind of lack luster in the material department imo.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Tying/Tools-Vises%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104340780/i/103884480/Cabelas-Deluxe-Tool-Kit-with-Case/732320.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftools-vises%2F_%2FN-1100441%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103884480%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104721480%253Bcat104340780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat104340780%3Bcat103884480

I just started tying flies. Literally just started. I think I tied my first fly a week and a half or 2 weeks ago. I bought a cheap wapsi kit from someone on this forum. It included some materials, tools, and a a vice.

The vice was fine. Very usable, though I imagine a nicer vice would hold hooks a little more securely. The materials weren't great. The chinelle was kind of thin and brittle, the marabou wasn't as fluffy as some, and the saddle hackle and pheasant tail were crappy. I did find the little introductory booklet useful, and the hooks were fine.

So far, I think I was right to go with a cheap vice and cheap tools, but if I were to do it again, I think I would just buy materials myself, possibly basing the purchases on what was included in other kits. And I'd definitely buy a fly tying book if I hadn't gotten one in the kit.

Just know this before you start: there's no way you're going to save yourself any money by tying your own flies! Unless you've been paying $2 or $3 a piece for them.

I initially thought I could get everything I needed to tie a few nymphs and streamers for around $100, but with all the additional materials I've bought, I've spent a little over $200 so far. And that's with a cheap vice and cheap tools!

Maybe you won't need to spend quite that much right away - I tied my first couple flies on the first batch of materials I bought, at which point I had spent around $100 total. I just figured out after the first few that I liked tying, and bought the materials to tie a few other patterns.

Bearsden.com has been really great for building up my supply of materials and tools. They only charge you what it actually costs to ship things, and so I've put in like 3 orders to them as I've found more materials I needed. I also visited a local fly shop, and found some thread, tools, and hooks.

IDK if any of that will help you, but that's been my experience so far.

I agree w/ jdaddy. I hate tying (I do it from time to time, if needed), and spent too much money on crap I hardly ever use.

I started out about 10 years ago with a cheap kit just to try it out. I slowly replaced the kit with upgraded (but not great) tooling as I gained experience and discovered that I enjoy tying flies. Its a big investment to buy enough materials and tools to tie a variety of flies, but well worth it in my opinion.

I think that in the long run, you do save money vs buying flies from an outfitter. A quality neck may cost you $70 or so, but you get alot of flies from that neck. I added it up one day and figured that each fly I tie costs me around 25 to 50 cents.

For some hands on instruction, look for fly tying classes offered by your local TU chapters. You Tube and forums like this are a great help as well.

I can say almost certainly that I will enjoy tying my own flies. I also found a beginner tying class that provides materials but I need my own tools. I would definetly go that route to gain some tying knowledge before I waste money on materials. ( I've been in many fly shops and I know how much necks and saddles and whatnot can go for. I've seen that wapsi kit Jeremy and thought it looked decent but not really sure. I've seen some cabelas kits for $50 or less also. I think I'm gunna go for it and buy something cheap for now and slowly upgrade in the future. I think you guys talked me into it. So I'm gunna blame it on you every time the old lady gives me crap for wasting money or time tying flies. Lol thanks

If she is anything like my wife...you will get lots of grief.

One more word of advice. If you dont have an old desk/table to tie on, try to find a vice with a heavy base rather than one that clamps to a table to avoid scratching your good furniture. They have a rubber bottom that prevents scratching and slipping. I really like the one I got and it was cheap ($60 it think). Ive actually wore out a couple sets of jaws on it.

Make sure you get a good pair of scissors. IMO - they are the most important of all your tools.

I love to tie & have been using on an old Thompson AA for 25 years. I just wore out the one side of the jaws and had to flip them upside down. I also place a small piece of carboard between the upper & lower clamp to keep my wife happy. Great scissors are nice, but I find myself using a single side razor blade most of the time. Do yourself a favor & buy a good bobbin - the cheap ones that come in the kits tend to cut thread eventually. Also, get a small, cheaper pair of fiskars for cutting hair & bulk material.

Back