Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Fly tying - taking the plunge; which vise?

From Plymouth Meeting
crazy system, still wouldn't call them a NEW technique, just a faster more mechanical way to wind stuff on the hook.

Was that vise on a motor like a sewing machine or was he just spinning it by hand?

Posted on: 2009/10/11 21:46

Tobe - it was a response to know it all Tim murphy... he stated that there was no technique that can only be done on a rotary vise. He was wrong.

That is the nor vise and its spun by hand.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 18:23

From Greensburg, PA
He was not wrong...you are still just putting the material on the hook.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 19:36

he said technique tom... speed rotary tying is a technique.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 20:04

From Harrisburg
Quote:

FishOn247 wrote:
he said technique tom... speed rotary tying is a technique.

No doubt used by all three people on Earth who own a Nor-vise?

It's just another con designed to get money from people who don't know any better, that's why they are so incredibly popular!

Posted on: 2009/10/12 21:14
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Bozeman
Shakey,

I might take you up on that. I'd like to check some of your gear collection out too. I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 22:28

I'm not a tyer. Probably bleed to death getting hooked, but I'll tell you that a ton of flies are tied on my son's Renzetti Travelor. He needs something that is of quality and can be transported, doesn't weigh a ton and performs. It wasn't too expensive either compared to some tanks. He cannot waste time messing with hooks not staying secure. He's had it for a year and I don't think he's had a complaint. He had a Mongoose before which he liked but weighed just way to much when you're looking at airline baggage. So far this seems to be the ticket. If anyone has anything that fits better than this. Give us a heads up.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 23:27

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

wetnet wrote:
I'm not a tyer.

This really needs to change. One day, you'll thank me for hounding you about it all the time.

This might be of interest to you and Wes......

2009 Fly Tying Symposium - Somerset, NJ

H.A.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 23:54

Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:

No doubt used by all three people on Earth who own a Nor-vise?

It's just another con designed to get money from people who don't know any better, that's why they are so incredibly popular!

You can put the vise down for having a small market share but you are still wrong.

Do you always put down products that have low market share or just in the fly fishing market where you are a self proclaimed internet board superstar?

Posted on: 2009/10/13 13:12

From Harrisburg
Dear Fishon,

He's winding a hackle there genius, something that has been done tens of millions of times before. It's not some fly tying revolution despite what the guy who sold you your very own Nor-Vise told you.

P. T. Barnum said there are people like you born every minute, hope you enjoy your vise!

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2009/10/13 18:06
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

Another assumption where you are wrong, I own a regal stainless

Posted on: 2009/10/13 19:16

From Butler
You have a Peak too Ernie?

Jay: Nope. Tied on one and loved it. I like the price tag even more. As soon as I get a job and get some income again, it is the first thing I'm going to get.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 1:13

how about a pair of vise grips super glued onto the end of a bench ? 9 $ for vise grips , 2$ for glue !

Posted on: 2009/10/15 18:39

From Greensburg, PA
No need for glue. Just c-clamp one side of the grips with the screw to the table.

Lee Wulff tied with his bare hands...Grrrrrrrrr

Posted on: 2009/10/15 20:08

I have both tied on and sold a lot of vices and from my own experience, and in that price range, you can't go wrong with the traveler or the regal.

Aside from the obvious difference between the two, there are a couple less obvious ones. While the traveler is a great vice, it is small, and because of this, I find that it is a bit "tippy"--if you get the pedastal base. The regals I've tied on have heavier bases and therefore are a little more stable. For me, the most important difference between the two is the ease with which you can secure a hook and the range of hooks that you can put in a regal. As there is no fine tuning with a regal, time is saved. Also, if you plan on tying saltwater flies or even big freshwater stuff, the traveler doesn't hold (too solidly anyway) hooks larger than 2/0. You don't have the same problem with the regal.

There you have it. I haven't tied on every vice out there, but I've sample a bunch, and these two are solid.

Have fun.

Posted on: 2009/10/16 9:21

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
146 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com