Fly Rod for King Salmon

C

Chet2134

Planning on making my first trip for Kings in NY this fall. I'm pretty sure my steelhead set-up (9' 7wt) is going to be way to light considering everywhere i read recommends a 9 or 10 wt. So, what are you guys using for kings and/or what would you recommend in terms of rods and reels? We will be fishing Oak Orchard and I don't really want to break the bank with this outfit since i will only be using it a few times a year. Thanks for the help.

Consider an 10 foot 8wt. or 9wt. Switch rod. Versitile enough that you can one hand it to nymph or two hand it to swing flies.

I bought a 9 ft 9 wt especially for my first trip for kings last fall. I broke it in the first hour (weight on the line damaged the rod flying back at me after breaking a fish off). I finished the trip with my 10 ft 7 wt steelhead rod and had no trouble landing two kings in the 15-20 lb range. So you could get by with your steelhead setup.

I have bought another 9 ft 9 wt to fish for kings again this fall. This is the right rod for what I want to do up there (sight fish with streamers).

I'd suggest a 9 to 10 ft 8 or 9 wt that's not too expensive. Use your steelhead rod as back-up.

TFO has a Jim Teeny 9 ft. 9 wt. 4-piece rod for 199.99. I have one and like it very much.

if you want to really go cheap, buy this one or the 10/11.

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/checkout/cart/

I might buy one in the next month. I have the 3/4wt and love it. Can't make it for salmon this year, but it's too cheap to pass up.

I use an entry level St. Croix.

If you're smart about it, you can find a decent 9wt for under $100. I wouldn't break the bank on a rod for that kind of fishing. Casts are short, and half the time you're slinging lead.

jayL wrote:
Casts are short, and half the time you're slinging lead.

You call it slinging lead I call it Flosssing/Snagging!

They can and do bite. I run shot spreads under an indicator. No different than the methods I use on big water nymphing for trout.

I know they do I'm just busted your chops!

You're going to buy a fly rod for king salmon? They don't even have arms and won't be able to cast it.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
You're going to buy a fly rod for king salmon? They don't even have arms and won't be able to cast it.

Wow :roll: a new all time low!

It was just an observation.

Back