Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Fly Line Preferences

From Dauphin PA
I do like Rio Gold. I have windcutter somewhere around here and thought it was OK, not great but just OK. I hadn't put a line on the 3wt reel in 10 years. The 444SL that was on it was cracked and falling apart / dry rotted from lack of use. Don't know what got me to try the LT but don't like it. I'm going to call RIO and see if they'll trade me or give me partial credit.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 22:52

I think the rio slective trout LT, along with the previous version- "the selective trout II"... are some of the better casting dry fly lines

the LT is really a great taper that will hold a tight loop at distance
the turn over is effortless
30' and under- less is more
40-80'- stop high let the line do the work

but its not for idicator rigs and streamers

Posted on: 2012/6/5 8:55

From Dauphin PA
I was fishing a small cdc caddis pupa on the Tully. I'm no Steve Rajeff by am a fairly good caster (able to curve casts, tuck cast, check cast or throw it 65-70'). I don't think I've thrown a tailing loop since my first year of fly fishing. While false casting, the loop was super tight but when I tried to present the fly, slop. It looked to be a huge loop and the fly didn't want to get away from the end of the fly line. I was able to fish by checking the cast high but wasn't pleased with the way the line worked. I guess it wouldn't hurt to cut off the 4 year old leader that I recycled, install a new leader and give it a shot. I'm taking the 3wt to the Catskill JAM this week. If we get use of the driftboat, I want to try an catch one on a 3wt this year.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 10:16

From Pittsburgh
I still prefer DT lines - although it's getting a little hard to find them lately. For what a good line costs now, it definitely makes it worthwhile to be able to turn it around and get twice the use out of it IMO.

I've never had any problems with the welded loops, and just leave them on a line if it has it.

That said, I bought a WF ridge line 3 years ago. It was on sale for half price, so I decided to try it.
And I gotta say , it does cast really nice. It also seems to be very durable. After almost 3 years of hard fishing, it doesn't have a single crack in it.
Can't remember getting more than that amount of fishing - before turning it around - out of any other line I've had

Posted on: 2012/6/5 10:59

From Lehigh Valley
Imho, Windcutters and Triangle Tapers do have a very good place, that would be on big water like rivers that get breezy.Delaware/Lehigh..also Pine Creek,Broadhead,are ones that come to mind where i use the wincutter or triangle taper and leave the double taper in the bag.
I recently discovered the Triangle Taper to be a favorite because it will single hand Spey cast as well as overhead cast too ,fishes indicators,and shoots streamers out where i need them.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 11:36

From SW PA/Tioga
dryflyguy brings up a good point here:

"I still prefer DT lines - although it's getting a little hard to find them lately."

I also prefer DT lines and have to search around to find them. I prefer DT lines because I have no use for the advantage WF lines (the ability to shoot farther). I do have a use for the advantages of DT lines.

There is no doubt that the line manufacturers would prefer you bought WF lines.

My question to those of you that buy WF lines is, why would you go along with the line manufacturers plot to have you buy twice as many lines over the course of your career than is needed?

Posted on: 2012/6/7 10:32

From Chester County
Quote:

shortrod wrote:
dryflyguy brings up a good point here:

"I still prefer DT lines - although it's getting a little hard to find them lately."

I also prefer DT lines and have to search around to find them. I prefer DT lines because I have no use for the advantage WF lines (the ability to shoot farther). I do have a use for the advantages of DT lines.

There is no doubt that the line manufacturers would prefer you bought WF lines.

My question to those of you that buy WF lines is, why would you go along with the line manufacturers plot to have you buy twice as many lines over the course of your career than is needed?

Not everyone fishes with a shortrod....lol.

No biggie, either one on a really small stream. But on a medium sized stream or larger, being able to shoot line is important to me, even if the casts aren't really that long.

Pick up > false cast one time > and shoot. (add a haul for longer casts)
Easy, efficient, and accurate.

BTW, WF outsells DT more than 20 to 1 in my experience. That's why it's so hard to find.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 10:47

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm actually working on starting up my own fly fishing business and starting off with some lines. If you are interested in what's going on or what products I have just shoot me an email. I'm hoping to have everything up and running in the next few months!

risenflyco@yahoo.com

Posted on: 2012/6/7 10:59

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

sweet
another outlet for overpriced imported products with no R&D

its not a "fly fishing" business
its a "marketing" business of imported trinkets

Posted on: 2012/6/7 11:41

Thanks for your support. I appreciate the trashing of something you have no idea of what it is or the future business plan.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 11:43

From Chester County
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm actually working on starting up my own fly fishing business and starting off with some lines. If you are interested in what's going on or what products I have just shoot me an email. I'm hoping to have everything up and running in the next few months!

risenflyco@yahoo.com

RYGuy,

If that's the case, I would stick to nearly all WF lines (5wt is by far the best seller). Maybe carry a few DT5s or DT4s, but WFs are what most FFers want.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 11:49

Quote:

afishinado wrote:

RYGuy,

If that's the case, I would stick to nearly all WF lines (5wt is by far the best seller). Maybe carry a few DT5s or DT4s, but WFs are what most FFers want.

Good luck.

Thanks. It's all starting quite small now, but hoping to build it up to a reputable site in the next 6-12 months. My eventual goal is to at least have a series of machined reels made in the USA.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 11:58

From Cato, NY
I fish with WF Rio Gold. The color of the line is olive and that is what I prefer. The first thing I do when I buy fly line is cut off the welded loop and nailess nail knot a 7 inch 20lb Amnesia test piece of mono with a perferction loop. I then coat both knots with UV knot sense and never worry about it again.

I attach my leader by a 3 turn improved clinch knot to the perfection loop. It's smoother through the guides then a loop to loop.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 12:42

From SW PA/Tioga
afishinado,

<< being able to shoot line is important to me, even if the casts aren't really that long

<< Pick up > false cast one time > and shoot. (add a haul for longer casts)
<< Easy, efficient, and accurate.

You can still shoot plenty of line with a DT, which is why I have no use for the added distance a WF can shoot.

<< BTW, WF outsells DT more than 20 to 1 in my experience. That's why it's so hard to find.

Indeed, but my question is why 20 out of every 21 fly line buyers prefer to pay twice as much for the same quality line?

Posted on: 2012/6/7 13:16

I honestly think it's all marketing. EVERY reel that comes with line on it has WF line. It's just what is the industry standard. I've never used a DT line and that is probably the reason why. I think the taper is a bit easier for the "beginner" to cast too, and there's a lot more beginners than experts out there.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 13:27

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
121 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com