Float tube advice

TimB

TimB

Anyone out there have advice for choosing a float tube for some remote pond fishing? I stumbled across some places this year that would be ideal for fishing from a tube. Portability is essential. I've seen guys hiking with their tube already inflated, but that won't be possible with the hike in/out of these ponds. It would be easier to portage my solo canoe than carry an inflated tube on my back, but that would be tough as well.

The tube would't survive the hike, so I'll have to carry a pump and inflate onsite. Anyone have experience with doing something like this? Any pearls of wisdom?

Dear Tim,

Beyond the issue of packing in the tube you'll have to contend with fins and a pump. You cannot get anywhere by just kicking, fins are a requirement. With everything together even with the lightest tube you are still taking about 10 pounds of gear and possibly more.

That's certainly not a great amount of weight but you have to take into consideration that you really cannot reduce the volume occupied by the fins and the pump. K-Pump makes a small efficient pump but it isn't cheap. The cheap pumps work well but unless it is a bladder style foot pump you have something about 20" long by 6" wide that cannot be reduced.

A company called Alpacka makes small backpacking rafts that only weigh 5 pounds and inflate using the bag you carry them in. Again you'll need a couple of pounds for a breakdown kayak paddle to propel the boat. A set up like that will set you back about $ 1200.00 though, $ 900 plus for the raft and $ 200 - 300 for the carbon fiber paddle.

You might better walk in with a hatchet and build a dug-out canoe. ;-)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I've fished ponds and lakes from a kayak and a kayak is much more versitle.

I use a solo canoe the same way Chaz. The canoe is lighter & easier to portage than a yak. That's my preferred method of fishing stillwater, but for several reasons, a float tube would be good on these ponds. The hike isn't particularly long (about a mile) but its a faint rough trail and I'd likely be coming out in the dark after catching the evening hatch. We've stumbled out of there in the dark each time I've been there because the fishing is just so spectacular.

Packing fins & a pump is no problem. I also won't be going alone so we can divide some of the gear.

I do some remote pond fishing with a float tube, works well.
Fins are a plus and they make a double action pump that also works well. We bought some army surplus bags with arm/shoulder straps to put everything in. If you need I can post photos but it's really straightforward.

This is one of the best deals going: the Bass Pro Lost Lake combo for $119 - only $10 more than the tube alone costs. It includes the float tube, a double-action hand pump and fins.

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Lost-Lake-Open-Front-Float-Tube-Combo/product/10200385/

Use promo code "FREE99" to get free shipping on it, too. At that point, all you pay is PA sales tax. I'm not sure when it expires, but I'd guess Nov 20th.

I've used this tube a bunch, most recently here:

http://youtu.be/4CICbqQYFz8

...that said, I also own a kayak, and unless I have absolutely no way to get the kayak to the fishing spot, I prefer to use it over the float tube.

Nice video, Six-Gun!

Cabelas is running a similar float tube package now for $99.

Thanks! I had no idea Cabela's was running a similar deal for even less. Is that's the case, it's definitely worth looking at.

Check out Creek Company float tubes and pontoons, not the highest of quality out there but very good gear and priced right. Get on their mailing list and take advantage of some great off season deals.

They also have all kinds of parts for their gear and accessories.

http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_item.asp?id=210

I used to live a few blocks from "the factory" (couple of old ladies hand and machine stitching them together. ) and these are great quality and a 5 year warranty. But this one sounds like it would work for you.

Six,

Was that an "f" bomb after netting the fish? LMAO.

I actually had to back and listen with the volume cranked up (because I wouldn't put it past me) but, no, there was no "F" dropped in that clip. :-D. With a fully outstretched arm, that sucker was heavy though.

Back