Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Fishing Shirts

From Ephrata, PA
I did 10 hour floats in canoes (last Saturday, most recently. HOT!)...I was indeed ready to rip my shirt off by the end, but ain't nobody wanna see that! I guess some of my soccer jersies would allow for the kind of evaporation you are talking about, but they aren't any cheaper than the shirts mentioned here.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 12:44

From Eastern PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I did 10 hour floats in canoes (last Saturday, most recently. HOT!)...I was indeed ready to rip my shirt off by the end, but ain't nobody wanna see that! I guess some of my soccer jersies would allow for the kind of evaporation you are talking about, but they aren't any cheaper than the shirts mentioned here.

Uggg. Why bring soccer into this? LOL.

In all seriousness, are those long sleeved? The technical shirts I prefer are excellent at evaporation/cooling, have a sun block rating of at least 50, are long sleeved and have "thumb holes" at the bottom on the sleeve so you can protect the tops of your hands which seem very susceptible to burn.

Mossy Creek Outfitters had a pile of these at the Lancaster Fly Show for $20 a copy.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/t ... omfort-crew?p=52115-0-275

I got some deals on Simms technical shirts however I prefer the Patagonia.

I picked up a couple of these and have been very happy with them as well:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothi ... t104329080%3Bcat103936680

They were one sale in Hamburg for $30. They don't cool as well as the Patagonia shirts but the hood is nice for avoiding buff dorkiness.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 12:55

From Ephrata, PA
Some are long sleeve, but don't have the thumb holes that you speak of.

I find that the place I burn the most is on the top of my forearms, from my elbow down to my wrists. I see those guys out on the salt flats wearing those special fishing shirts and it doesn't seem like a bad idea. I'm half Irish. I burn like a banshee.

For the record, I wasn't knocking fishing shirts, I was just being a d-bag

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:04

From South Lebanon Township, PA
kbob - My Columbia shirts have had held up well too. The oldest one is now probably 3 or 4 years old and has a small tear in one of the sleeves from catching it on a thorn branch...still have the corresponding scar on my bicep as well. The others still look new.

I just know the outgoing lines can be had for 50% or less than the brand new stuff from outlets like STP, so I buy there.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:40

From Eastern PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Some are long sleeve, but don't have the thumb holes that you speak of.

I find that the place I burn the most is on the top of my forearms, from my elbow down to my wrists. I see those guys out on the salt flats wearing those special fishing shirts and it doesn't seem like a bad idea. I'm half Irish. I burn like a banshee.

For the record, I wasn't knocking fishing shirts, I was just being a d-bag

Thumb holes are as simple as a pair of scissors, lol.

I know you weren't knocking fishing shirts. They are completely unnecessary most of the time and are a choice. On average I am wearing a t-shirt when fishing. But trust me, when you take your trip to Maine you will want every inch of you body covered and it needs to be light weight breathable material. Biting bugs and humidity. Uggg.

Having said all of that, I think the OP was talking about those traditional flats fishing shirt that have the ventilation and all the pockets and stuff. I have a couple of those and rarely use them for fishing. Even with the ventilation, I find the cotton to be way to heavy and breath ability is bad. Only advantage to them is cooler weather and am traveling light. There I like all the pockets for boxes and what not.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 14:30

From Central/Upstate New York (Clinton)
Gander Mountain had the Columbia PFG's on sale for around $25.00 or $30.00. My buddy picked up two of them. That was this past weekend. 7-21-2013

Posted on: 2013/7/27 8:38

yeah the Columbia vented shirts that I bought had much more vent space than orvis or Filson.

if you wear the columbia ones with the most vents casually they look like some sort of weird fishing version of a Batman outfit I don't care I hate heat :)

the shirt and the Columbia neck gaiter dampened with cool stream water help a lot. Plus breathable waders..

Posted on: 2013/7/27 10:31

From Tyrone
Go to ebay type in fishing shirt (or type in brand name) I got 5 nice Orvis shirts two weeks ago for $50.00. My wife searches out goodwill stores like I look for new trout streams she sometimes find shirts for me.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 12:20

From Tyrone
Go to ebay type in fishing shirt (or type in brand name) I got 5 nice Orvis shirts two weeks ago for $50.00. My wife searches out goodwill stores like I look for new trout streams she sometimes find shirts for me.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 12:21

From 18042
Hawaii Shirts!!

Posted on: 2013/7/27 15:02

From SE Pa
A camo T shirt in the summer. Otherwise a seriously faded and worn flannel shirt that I've worn fishing for @15 years. My wife knows I want to be buried in it - not joking.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 23:43

From South-Central PA
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
A camo T shirt in the summer. Otherwise a seriously faded and worn flannel shirt that I've worn fishing for @15 years. My wife knows I want to be buried in it - not joking.

Is there anything more comfortable than an almost worn out flannel shirt?

Posted on: 2013/7/28 5:59
Be still and know that I am God: ... (Psalm 46:10)

From NC PA Mountains
They can great for being outdoors....but why do over half of the guys at fly fishing shows insist on wearing them?

Checkout the 50% rack at Gander mountain.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 7:21

From Chester County
Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
They can great for being outdoors....but why do over half of the guys at fly fishing shows insist on wearing them?

Checkout the 50% rack at Gander mountain.

They wanna look the part, BFP.

I finally gave up wearing cotton tees for warm weather fishing. Nothing is better in hot weather than a quick dry/vented fishing shirt. I like the long sleeves that can be rolled up in the heat or down in chilly weather or for sun protection.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 7:35

From Ohio
Quote:
Nothing is better in hot weather than a quick dry/vented fishing shirt. I like the long sleeves that can be rolled up in the heat or down in chilly weather or for sun protection.

Bingo. I also like the chest pockets for tippet.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 8:14

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com