Finally got a piece of the pie.

jayL

jayL

Well,

I started my first "real" job a few weeks ago. I am also going to get a sizable tax return, assuming my small poker tournament win doesn't screw me. It's time to get a nice fly rod.

If you had $400 or so to spend on an all purpose trout rod, what would it be? I am leaning toward an 8.5' 5wt.

I know this has been beat to death, and I'm casting all of them before I decide anyway... but it's winter. Discuss.

I'll give this unofficial advice:

Unless that poker tournament wrote you a check, took your name and address, SS# and/or issued a 1099, consider it a gift.

Jack,

I've taken much bigger gifts from the borgata poker room before, but this one was an official tournament. They took all of that info. :-(

Well, picking a flyrod is as much a philosophical exercise as anything else. But for my money, I like the St.Croix Legend Elite or Ultra (I think the blanks are the same, it's the gussy-ing up that accounts for the price difference). I also like the Orvis Superfine Rods, but they are closer to $500 than 4. Check out the Power Matrix though. Paul has an 8'9" 3wt that is the sweetest rod I think I've ever cast.

The sage SLT is being discontinued. Lots of them arround the price you are looking to spend. I just found found a Sage XP 9' 3wt for $300, brand new. Check arround. There are good. deals to be had.

John

Jay,

Yes, an 8.5 or 9’ 5wt rod is a good all purpose rod for PA. If you posted this a few weeks ago, I would have recommended that you go the FF show in Somerset NJ to cast every rod from every major manufacturer. Don’t worry about brands and don’t worry about rod reviews, just cast as many rods as you can, to find which one is THE one.

The following companies all make good rods: St. Croix, Sage, Winston, TFO, Orvis, Scott, and a few more. If it were me, I would go on-line to each rod mfg. site and find the models in my price range, look for a local dealer listed on the site, and test cast each rod at the shop. You will find that most shops carry multiple rod lines. Like I said earlier, you could have cast all these rods side-by-side at the FF show a few weeks ago. That would have been better still. Also, after you test cast a bunch, and before you pull the trigger on a rod from a shop, check on e-bay.

As far as the IRS, if it were me, I would claim the winnings. Not claiming it will surely bite you in the a$$ in the near future. If you don’t, and we see your new rod listed on the PFF swap page and on e-bay – we’ll all know what happened. Good luck with your rod quest.

Afish,

Yeah, I'm probably going to claim it.

I fear an audit, especially given my "I've taken much bigger gifts from the borgata poker room before" comment. I couldn't keep it all in the couch cushion.

It should only be a few hundred bucks, though I didn't get a 1099. I don't think they issue them for winnings under a certain amount.

I had an incident with the IRS a three years ago. It was a misunderstanding where they claimed that I did not file taxes for two years. They Garnished my wages for 4 months and kept my tax return . It was a mistake on there part and it took for ever to get my money back from them. Be careful.

Rods ???? Here is what i want http://www.flyrods.com

If they took info to make a record, of course you want to claim it, but remember that gambling losses can be offset against winnings. Have or develop a record of all your gambling losses for the year, including non-winning lottery tickets and betting slips from the racetrack. A resourceful taxpayer ought to be able to reconstruct enough losses to cover a small poker touney win.

Padraic wrote:
Well, picking a flyrod is as much a philosophical exercise as anything else. But for my money, I like the St.Croix Legend Elite or Ultra (I think the blanks are the same, it's the gussy-ing up that accounts for the price difference).

I'll second that suggestion. I bought an 8' 4wt Ultra and it is by far the best rod under $400 (around 300-325 to be exact) I've ever handled. Good luck in your decision!

Good stuff so far guys.

I fished a st croix ultra before. Sadly, I was 15 and had no idea how to cast yet. I learned on top shelf, but honed my skills to what they are today on bottom of the line stuff. Sometimes that's how it works when you learn from the best in town, and use their gear. Wish I could say I was a damn good fisherman from all that, but whatcha gonna do?

I've got my eye on a new ibanez too. I'm so happy I like my car. Otherwise this temporary spending spree could really do some long term regrettable damage.

As has been mentioned, cast as many rods as you can before setting your mind on anything. Set your price range and cast as much as possible.

I've had one bad experience with St. Croix, enough to turn me off of their products, but they do make good rods. Sage is my preference, the rod just casts perfect for me. Made in the US, lifetime guarantee.

My preference is 9ft 5wt for all around fishing. Ideal for punching through wind, longer in length ideal for reaching into tougher places. I know lots like an 8ft6 and either a 4 or 5 but this is my preference:)

Jaybo,

I've already got a 9' 5wt Loomis GL3. I built it last year. That's why I'm getting an 8'6''. The 9' feels a bit long and heavy for my liking, so I use it for nymphing in bigger water.

Whichever length you go with, my advice is the same. Cast as many different rods/manufacturers that is within your price range. Base your decision on how they cast and feel in your hands.

My last round of upgrading the 9ft 5wt that I had when I started yielded the Sage Launch. For my preferences, this rod casts better than big dollar rods.

Oh, I'll definitely be casting ALL of them. To me, that's going to be the most pleasurable part of the entire deal.

JayL wrote: “I've already got a 9' 5wt Loomis GL3. I built it last year. That's why I'm getting an 8'6''. The 9' feels a bit long and heavy for my liking, so I use it for nymphing in bigger water.”

Jay,

6 inches of length makes little difference if the rod is the same weight. I suggest you try out an 8.5’ or 8' 4wt for smaller water and more delicate fishing. My logic is a 5wt can handle any fishing situation in PA, but a 4wt may be better in smaller streams using smaller flies in lower water situations. 90% of my fishing is done with my 4wt and 5wt. 5wt for nymphing, streamers, higher water, larger streams, windy conditions. 4wt for smaller flies, lower water, smaller streams and more delicate presentation.

I have a 6 wt for fishing the Delaware River and big rivers out-west and use it for smallmouths in smaller water. I also have a short 3 wt that I use for small streams.

My point is if you have a good 5wt, and your Loomis rod is a keeper, I would move down to a 4wt to fill that niche, and you will have an ideal rod for 90% of the trout fishing in PA. Good luck with any rod you chose.

Afish,

I've got an 8' 4wt as well. This is my default rod. I love it for all applications. I was considering a 6wt, but I almost never fish water big enough to merit it.

And before you suggest it, I've got a 7.5' 3wt :lol:

Now, this conversation needs to stop before I start to think I shouldn't make this purchase. :p

Jay,

Yup, sorry to say you should pass up that piece of pie – you’re already covered. Another fly rod is just….another fly rod. If that $400 is really burning a hole in your pocket, use it to buy a round-trip ticket to travel out-west this summer. Scrounge up another couple of hundred bucks, and you should have enough stay in some cheap motels and eat to burgers and drink beers in a few dive bars to keep you going. Then you can really call yourself a trout bum…..think about it.

Oops! But then you'll need 6wt for fishing out-west......and the cycle continues....

That I should. I don't know that I could get enough time off work though. Bummer.

In my defense, I don't have any rods worth more than $150 or so. The 3wt is mid-grade and was a gift. The 5wt is homemade. I still want to upgrade to a premium rod. The 4wt is your regular old TFO. I got it real cheap since I bought it right after the company came onto the scene.

Find a fly rod on sale for $100 or less, and put the other $300 in a low cost stock index fund, and forget about until you're 65 years old.

Your $300 should turn into about $19,000 by that time. Which you can use to buy the nicest carp rod in the world. Because there won't be any trout left by that time. But there should still be some carp.

Back