Fighting Butt?

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Does anyone know the reason why some manufacturers offer 6 weights in both non-fighting butt and fighting butt models? Is it a balance thing or just aesthetics? I would like to get a 6 weight for larger streamers and the model I am looking at offers both options. Thanks for the help!

I think the six weights with the fighting butts may be designed for ultra light saltwater flyfishing.

Not sure on the fighting butts, but how large do you mean by “large streamers?” Weight wise, not necessarily size or length of the fly. Only reason I ask is that I too bought a 6 weight for the same thing. I like the rod and it does well with most standard streamer stuff for large Trout or Smallies, but it struggles with the heavier, weighted flies I sometimes like to use on the bottom for Smallies…heavily weighted crayfish and the like. I’m now considering purchasing an 8wt for this application. May not apply to what you’re thinking of using the rod for, just thought it was worth mentioning given my experience.

Looking to throw articulated streamers and buggers down to size 2 or 4. Mostly 4-8 though.

Why would you say the fighting butt would be light saltwater? No change in reel seat, just an addition of the fighting butt. My first inclination was balance with a little more weight in the back but I don't know. Still a half wells cork grip too.

Big-Bass wrote:
Looking to throw articulated streamers and buggers down to size 2 or 4. Mostly 4-8 though.

IMO it will just depend how much (if any) weight is tied into them. If they’re just mostly fur/feathers the 6wt will be fine. If you’re talking coneheads with wraps, I think most 6wt’s will be hustling to throw some of the heavier ones in that size range.

Usually those kind of flies have some weight in them given how they’re intended to be fished though. If I were buying, I’d probably look into a 7 or 8 weight if that is to be this rod’s sole purpose. Now if you’re looking for something that you may want to throw the occasional dry with during a hatch too, then a 6wt is probably the better compromise. Most 7 and 8 weights will come with fighting butts if that’s a concern.

It's mostly about what you intend to fight.

In the 6 and 7 wt category, some people buy the stiffer rods to cast far, handle some shot, etc. But are still fighting smallish fish (meaning small enough that leverage isn't a real issue during the fight). In such a case, a fighting butt isn't needed, or desired, as it merely adds weight, gets in the way, and offers no real advantages.

But some buy them, not to cast far, but because they expect to be fighting larger fish and having a little backbone to the rod is needed to be able to handle the fish. In such a case, leverage may matter, and a fighting butt begins to make sense.

WildTigerTrout nailed it.
I own two 9' 6weight saltwater rods - a Winston XTR and a Redington TCR (back-up rod). I match it with a Tibor Freestone reel. I cut the flyline back to 70 feet and that allows about 175 yards of 20 pound dacron.
I use them in places where the bonefish average less than 3-4 pounds. That's a typical Belezian or Asension Bay fish. There are certain places in the Bahamas where this is all I need. Those bana bones will, however, get out a hundred yards in a hurry, and a fighting but is a fice feature to have while fighting them.
It's rigged and ready for the times when I don't expect to see permit.
I have also used them for baby tarpon - anything over two pounds is trouble!
Most of the time, however, I'm casting medium/large sized poppers with it out of my float tube on my pond. It's a cannon...

The exact one I am looking for is not very expensive because I don't want to fork out big bills on a streamer rod. It is a Cabela's LSI with the handle d option in the picture menu. I just like the way it looks and thought it served a freshwater function.

I agree with Pcray Fighting butts are for powerful hard running fish such as steelies, hybrid stripers, etc. a great option for added leverage.

Back