felt soles

H

hectortmc

I might be beating a dead horse here but has anyone heard if Pa. is going to ban them. I know Md did.

hectortmc wrote:
I might be beating a dead horse here but has anyone heard if Pa. is going to ban them. I know Md did.

Certainly no guarantees, but as of right now, there is no talk or proposal in the works to ban felt sole boots in PA.

but... take note of what just happened in RI
not saying it will be the same here... but just becasue there is is "no discussion or proposal", doesn't mean it can't happen

you never know

personally
i think the anti-felt movement was just a ploy for manufactures and retailers to sell more gear in a down economy an pass it off as conservation.

IMHO felt soles have been overrated for years. Nothing beats a studs when it comes to wet water traction.

I am a felt fan from way back because my old rubber soled boots cause me to fall way too many times. That said, I hear the new technology has made studded boots the wave of the future. Can someone tell me what "studded" actaully means? Is it specialized rubber or metal studs embedded in the rubber?

Studded boots just have screws or some other kind of metal thingies in the sole to increase traction.

Studded felt crushes all else in the traction department, in my experience.

I have studded vibrum but would have to agree with jay on this. The studs make all the difference in the world though, with either.

I have felt boots from Cabelas that come with screws that nut driver into the soles. I have to tell you I love them. I rarely fall and when I do, the boots had nothing to do with it. It was just stupidity on my part.

I'm mostly a studded felt fan. Studs help a lot, but they can go on felt or rubber just the same.

From a traction perspective, it really depends on what surface you are talking about! Felt really sucks in mud, silt, and snow. Rubber sucks on big freakin slimy rocks. Some rubbers are better but I haven't seen one that compares to felt.

Gravel, well, everything's good on gravel.

I think everyone is pretty much telling the truth on what has the best traction for them. It just varies where they are fishing. Not a difference of opinion, a difference of REALITY. Then we get in these debates and everyone ignores the fact that we're all basing our opinions on uncomparable situations.

That said, if you prefer rubber for the environmental aspect, and not the traction, there's nothing wrong with that. If you prefer felt, that's fine by me, but for all of us, please be careful about the spread of invasives. Wash and dry your gear appropriately.

I think I need to invent studded felt soled dress shoes. I've about bit the dust 10 times today in this crap outside.

Or get a job that lets you wear vibram hiking boots. :)

lol, I have Vibram hiking boots on right now. With slacks and a golf shirt and dress socks underneath.

I have a separate pair of safety shoes for when I go in the mill. These aren't safety shoes. But they kinda look like it. Hence, I fit in. :)

Work uniform = boots, jeans, sweatshirt. I keep my wool hat on all day on fridays.

They are lucky if I even wear shoes once the temps hit the 80s.

ryguyfi wrote:
I think I need to invent studded felt soled dress shoes. I've about bit the dust 10 times today in this crap outside.

Hey Ryan - Check this out. Dress shoe Korkers. :cool:

I switched to a vibram/stud wading boot more than a year ago from felt and felt/stud boots (both of which I still own and use on occasion).

In nearly most wading situations, including slippery rocks, the vibram/studs worked well for me. I have not run into a situation where I have felt unsafe wearing these boots in any stream or river. But, the big advantages to the rubber soled boots, IMO, is their superiority for walking on the banks and hiking to and from the stream. Most of my falls were on the bank with felt, especially in slippery mud or even just wet leaves. The felt boots, even with the shallow studs are very slippery when walking on the bank, while the vibram soles grip more like hiking boots. I fish a lot in the winter and felt soles are definitely a no-go. The accumulate ice and snow and about as good as wearing ice skates in the winter.

Overall, considering both wading in the water and hiking on dry land and in snow and ice, I am a fan of vibram/stud boots. Putting aside the evasive carrying issue, when the time comes to buy another pair, I will choose to buy the rubber studded ones.

I agree with Fishy. I fish a lot in the winter and felt soles are definitely a "no-go" as they accumulate snow and ice and can make walking in such an environment very hazardous. I've been using rubber and stud soles for over 8 years and am happy with the performance.

Dale

Thanks HA, I've already found a pair for my wading boots, but those look great!

My plan with my job is to suck it up wearing a suit all day and just retire VERY early. Plus have about 3-4 weeks of vacation in the next 5 years fully devoted to fly fishing trips. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to take :-D

I am new to this forum, and IMHO it is only a matter of tine before they ban felt soles. I like studs over felt soles any way but my buddy loves felt soles.

it took me less than 6 steps in a stream before I was in love with my studded rubber soles and never looked back. Felt? good ridance!

I have herd this debate about 4 years ago
the fish commision would not comment
my soil conservation contacts said
if you travel from stream to stream and your boots stay wet
you will transfer bacteria from one stream to another
their suggestion was to use a 50/50 mix of clorox and water
and spray down your boots before you enter a new stream location
so I picked up a spray bottle at the dollar store and keep it in the trunk
now I can't prove it is working but it will make a passing by fisherman ask
what on earth are you doing.

Back