Favorite traveling gear

sundrunk

sundrunk

I'v got some old leather bag I use to keep tackle in. Plus one good size duffle bag I use for storage as well.

Now I'm taking a long flight out west and need some good traveling gear for all of my tackle.

Once again I have come to this site for advisement. Thank you all.

Carry on luggage is the only way to go. I travel on planes at least once a month. Unless you are willing arrive with out the gear you need use carry on. I have had luggage arrive days late and I was on a direct flight.

I'll post a picture later of my rod tube that was run over by a baggage carrier .

You will need to leave knives and such at home. ( this depends on you screener. Last Sept 11th I flew to DC with a pocket knife in the outter pocket of my brief case )

You just have to really think about what you need. If the rods are are an issue, fedex them. Get yourself a good carry on bag.

Victorinox makes the best luggage IMO. Sierra Trading Post is always a good place to look

Carry on luggage size limits are as follows. 22” X 14” X 9”

Between a carry on and a backpack you should be good to go.

If you do go the route of luggage that is not carry on, I've got 2 other things worth consideration.

A space where you can put your wet boots/waders is ideal. Keeping dry stuff dry and your boots in seperate areas is most ideal. Fishpond makes some nice gear bags that have plenty of room for everything.

Also, do you want wheels on the bag, which would make it easier to get through the airports, etc.

LL Bean is always worth a look. Priced reasonably and with an unconditional guarantee.

How long will you be traveling, how much gear will you be hauling, how many bags do you want to be toting around? Those are some questions I'd start with and go from there.

Great suggestions have been given by Bruno. Sierratradingpost is always a great place to look.

I've had wet gear knock me over the 50 pound weight limit for checked bags on the return flight. Be aware of this.

I would recommend carry your rods and reels on. I last flew in the fall and did not have a problem carring them on.
(expensive items and you can still fish if other checked bags are late or lost)

Think about the wet stuff for the return trip as mentioned. I did some jockeying of some stuff from my bags to my friends to make weight.

Bing! You are now free to move about the country!

Sundrunk-

From a seasoned traveler you have been given very good advice. Carry the rods on board. Be kind to the flight attendants, many are not, and with a little charm they will look at you as other than another PIA customer with bulky carry ons.

Tips on overhead bins. On some aircraft there are openings between the bins. That is where crutches and the like go. That is where your two piece rod goes. If you have four piece (all that I own) then you can put them anywhere. Try and board early!

PUT YOUR NAME 2-3 times on everything. From personal experience some airlines will go above and beyond in returning misplaced items when they are identified. That flight attendant you were nice to might just make a quick call to your cell. (seen it happen a lot of times)

CHECK THE TSA WEBSITE. The liquid ban is very real and unfortunately necessary. They tell you the size of tools, scissors, etc. allowed on board and that applies to a lot of fishing stuff that we carry.

TSA WEBSITE

Everyweek there are a lot of arrests at TSA websites. Don't pack your stuff in a bag that has a shotshell left over from duck season, was stored next to your black powder, has a knife inside. Your fishing trip will go south quickly.

THIS WAS LAST WEEK ALONE from the TSA website, although is sounds high to me.

24 firearms found at checkpoints
17 incidents that involved a checkpoint closure, terminal evacuation or sterile area breach

Also check baggage rules at your airline. UAL is going to a charge for more than one bag. Many airlines are serious about the dreaded 50 pound bag plus.

Consider shipping fishing stuff if convenient. I have sent a box of gear to a friend and dropped it off at a UPS store upon departure.

Have a great trip. Next month I will fly to Oregon for some Steelhead with a friend.

Good idea jersey,

Ship out the gear weeks in advance to be sure, and travel light. Bruno mention shipping out the rod tubes before, and it's a good idea.

So I guess you just have to weigh your trust..who is most likely to lose/damage my rods...the USPS/fed ex/ups...or the airline...I've heard horror stories about lost luggage on flights but I've also had my share of goods destroyed by package carriers as well...and do I want to pay an extra 50-75 bucks to ship and insure something after shelling out the money for a plane ticket...of course some carriers are charging 50 extra for that second piece of checked luggage now too...man it crazy.

I had my clothes in one bag and my rods/reels/flies/vest in my rod carrier...both arrived just fine...I could have easily shipped the stuff since I had relatives where I was going but if you don't, where are you going to ship it to?

Here are a couple of pics of my 8wt gloomis rod tube. Trip home from FLA.... Baggage truck ran over it .

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/mattyb15601/Picture166.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg313/mattyb15601/Picture167.jpg

Yeah IPA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My rod was fine and the airline gave me the replacement cost. Blew the cash in Vegas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They took it fom me at the plane door. That’s an aluminum rod tube..........

I had two, not one, but two guns destroyed on airlines. Shot an elk with a borrowed gun in BC. I have shipped gear to friends, and also to an outfitter, and also to a hotel.

UPS and Fedex all have instant online access to the location and delivery status of your package, and very good claims service. The airlines have no comparable package tracking. Ever stand in the small claims office at baggage claim and make a claim? Not a lot of fun.

Unfortunately the airlines are also inconsistent. I have never had a rod tube denied, and I am quite confident there is no reason to deny one at the gate, but you just need one person to say no, and look at the journey it goes through. Sorry about the squashed tubes.

While it might not be best all of the time, shipping stuff is an option to consider. And remember, you need time and a package to send the stuff home.

I just booked a flight for this summer on Southwest Airlines, and they said the carryon length limit is 24 inches. I haven't flown on a fishing trip for quite a few years, so I'd be happy for advice too.

Are there rods, in a case, that are actually less than 24 inches in length? Or do they just not enforce the rule that much? In the old days I an 8 1/2 foot rod, 2 piece, in a DB Dun type case, so over 4 feet long for sure, onboard and put in the overhead bin in the long section someone already described, where the crutches go! Or sometimes just put it in the vertical bin near the front door, along with the business people's suitbags.

I don't know if I can get away with that or not anymore.

Those of you who check the rods. Do you just have them in tubes? or do you put the tubes in something else? If you have several rods, to you combine the rod tubes somehow? Or ship each one seperate?

I used to work for an airline. It was rare that something got run over by a baggage cart. Bad luck Bruno! But stuff does get handled rough. Stuff drops off the luggage carts and conveyor belts pretty frequently. And when people are loading stuff it gets tossed around. Because people are working under extreme time pressure. Even under normal circumstances. But when you have planes coming in late and they're trying to get things back on schedule, so that connections don't get screwed up, they work like fiends. Several tons of stuff gets taken off the plane and several tons gets put back on, in about 30 minutes. The guys working in the cargo bins THROW stuff in there. It's the only way to Git R Done in 30 minutes. People put a "Fragile" label on the package. When you're loading stuff you don't have time to read that. Not ever. You just THROW it, and reach for the next one.

So pack well.

I carried my 3 PC Scott 9 Wt on last month for my weekend trip to Florida. That aluminum tube was 36" or so. They don't really enforce the carry on length as much as overall size.

As for travel luggage, I use the Fishpond Rolling Duffel with the wet compartment. This is a super sweet monster bag. You do have to be careful not to overpack it tho because of the 50 lb limit. I've been dinged a couple times for that...

Troutbert - I can guarantee that on a SWA 737 you will not have a closet to put a rod tube in. I have witnessed the bag throw you described a zillion times in my life, hence the recommendation to ship when feasible. However I don't think you will ever have difficulty with a 4 piece rod, if that is what you have.
JG

your full size aircraft ... boeing and airbus, the overhead bins are about 54 inches long .... commuter aircraft are obviously smaller and vary on different aircraft

Back