ever used these leaders?

tomgamber

tomgamber

http://stores.ebay.com/Fave-Fly-Fishing-Supplies

Anyone know this guy or ever used his leaders...looks like it says he's from Muncy, pa. Was thinking of trying these.

Tom

i picked some up last year (9' 5x cameleon), i think i paid some where around a buck a piece, so i figured what the hell...
i don't have any complaints, they worked well for me. quality seems good. however these were the first hand tied leaders i've used, prior i used (and still have some) orvis ss and mirage.

prior to learning to tie, i bought some flies off of ebay, that was very hit and miss, some were of very good quality, others were made by a blind man w/ no arms, so he had to use his feet.

Dear Tom,

Can't say that I ever used leaders tied by that particular seller, but I have used leaders tied entirely with Maxima Chameleon for about 20 years and never saw a downside to them. If I had to live with only one choice of tippet and leader material forever I would chose Chameleon without hesitation.

I tie my own and alternate between tying them with all Maxima and with Orvis Super Strong for the last two sections. I find that Maxima works better for nymphing in snag filled water because it is highly abrasion resistant. I like the SS for slightly better dry fly fishing especially in the smaller sizes like 5X and 6X, but I find that with the SS you have to be really careful to wet your knot to the fly before you draw it tight or else the tippet gets those annoying curly-cues in it. That is never an issue with Maxima Chameleon.

If you'd like to try tying your own leaders Fly Fisher's Paradise in State College, 814-234-4189, sells a leader tying kit for about $ 35.00. You get Maxima for the butt and taper sections and I think Umpqua for the tippet as well as a booklet with leader formulas for 7 1/2, 9 and 12 foot leaders. Buy a Dennison blood knot tool and for about $ 45.00 total you can tie at least 35 or 40 leaders for yourself before you need to start replacing spools of material.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

No, Tim, I've tied my own leaders before. I got no satisfaction from it. I like hand tied leaders, actually. Thats why these peaked my interest. I like being able to tell exactly where the next transition in the leader is. Also, as my leader length tends to vary greatly during use (i'm inattentive and lazy that way) , so its nice to know just how short I'm getting. The guy is from PA so I thought someone might know him. They are a good price so I might just get some. Like trico said, can't hurt.

I switched to furled leaders this year.

I buy mine form a guy on talkflyfishing.com that furls them using Unit-thread. They have to be treated with Mucillin or Payette paste (non-silicone) to get them to float but they work very nice.

Concerning the uni-thread furled leaders: is it OK to use Watershed on them?

John

I tie my own to, but I've used the leaders from the guy in Muncy and never had any trouble with them. As for the furled leaders, I love using them. The guy that has the fly shop up the street.....I think his name is Sandly.....makes a dandy furled leader at a price that can't be beat.

Keep them in stock, sandfly.

I'll need a few at the jam!

Concerning the uni-thread furled leaders: is it OK to use Watershed on them?

I don't know what Watershed is made of. The guy who made mine told me to use Non-Silicone Mucillin. I ended up trying Payette paste which is also Non-silicone and it worked.

The key is finding something without silicone in it.

Back