Echo Ion Reel

T

tyeager

Last week I had a steelhead take a hell bent October run that may have torched my reel. Now, with the drag at a medium setting, it squeals when the line comes out instead of the nice clicking that is normal, and it doesn't seem to be as smooth either. At a really low setting it makes the normal clicking sound.

The Ion has a rulon disc drag system. Has anyone had this happen before. Can I expect it to get continually worse, or is the reel functionally fine just annoying. I don't want to have to make my next trip up and stop in at ultimate angler to buy a new reel once my Ion craps out in the middle of the day.

Although on Nov 4th that might not be a bad idea.

Contact Echo on Monday. See what they can do to help you out. If I'm not mistaken, they are pretty good on customer service,

get a nautilus or hatch. I was going to buy a ion as spare reel for musky or steelies. My Nautilus ccf is a beast!!

Yeager the konics are on sale for less than 100 they do just fine there a great reel.

terry is going to take a look at it....he said the echo rep is
coming in next week....we will see if it can be fixed for little or no charge before I buy another reel

Yeager Terry will take care of ya. Plum' what size of Hatch do ya have & do ya like 'em?

I have two Nautilus CCF * and FWX 5/6. Used my buddies hatch 7 up north nice reel. Little PRices but you may find them used..

terry will fix it for sure..

Echo Ion reel $80.... Hatch reel.....$500

You guys are comparing apples to oranges. +1 on the suggestion for a Lamson. You can get a Guru for $200 or less. Great drag and it's a machined reel versus a cast reel. I also have a Konic for steelheading and it's never failed. * disclaimer: It sees 3 hour of use every other year. LMAO. I loves me some steelheading.

The ross flyrise is another good reel in that price range.

Correct apples to oranges.. That Ross fly rise is nice reel. The konic is a good reel never failed for me either.

If you can get past the lack of flashy cosmetics, the Konic is a great purchase. It will never win a beauty contest, but it has the same sealed drag system as its more expensive brethren. You can basically beat to crap and literally throw away three or four Konic's before you pay for one Hatch or similar. Being a cast real, they are not as hard as other machined reels, but I have used mine in salt, steelhead, and salmon situations and always been happy with the performance.

Back