Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2

Re: dry fly rod

From harlansburg
Kev, check out kubota rods out of japan, he posts on the fiberglass forum, good guy, I like his bamboo reel seat spacer! his rods are simply awesome.
I'd like to own a norie amberstar at some point in my life also!

Posted on: 2010/5/7 7:32

You don’t need a slow action rod for dry fly fishing. A medium or medium-fast action rod no shorter than 8 feet will do fine. And remember, there is no universal standard for what defines a “medium” or “fast” action rod, as every rod maker’s definition is different.

Traditionally a slow action rod was used for wet and streamer fishing down and across and a fast action rod was used for dry fly fishing casting off the tip for up close fishing. But traditional fast action rods had a soft tip that got progressively stiffer through the mid and butt sections while slow action rods have a slightly stiffer tip section, a more flexible mid section and then a stiffer butt section. In boo terms “dry fly action” means a fast action rod or a progressive action rod and “wet fly action” means a slow action rod or parabolic action rod. Today, however, fast action means a stiff tip that gets insanely stiffer and there’s no way you can effectively tip cast unless you over line by 2 line weights and medium action means a somewhat less stiff tip that gets stiffer.

If you are looking for an excellent medium-fast action rod that’s perfect for dry fly fishing that won’t break the bank, seriously consider the TFO Finesse Series 8’-9” #4 weight rod ($180 but no case). Also, check out www.codella.com for some used deals – both glass, graphite and boo. There are always some good old glass rods that become available and generally most of them sell for under $100. If you want the ultimate dry fly rod get the Winston Tom Morgan Favorite (4 weight 8 foot) but expect to drop $650 – but it is the ultimate dry fly rod.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 8:49

From Hollidaysburg (originally Lititz)
One of my favorite dry fly rods is a Cortland GRF1000. They do not make them anymore but when they did they sold for $80-100. I got one off Ebay for about $40 last year. For larger water, it may not be the right rod. I think that they have an 8' 5/6wt and then the 8.5' is a 6/7. The rods are made of slightly older graphite and if you can find one for cheap, you will be impressed with its dry fly fishing capabilities. The Sage Launch is also a decent dry fly rod for larger water. The action is rated as medium-fast. These have been discontinued, and I see them sell for about $125 from time to time. If you have $300 to spend and want a fast action, I would recommend the Redington CPX (or a used CPS). I have cast both the CPX and older CPS and I like them for longer casts.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 11:19

From Pittsburgh
I've never cast one, but have heard from some pretty reliable sources that Winston fly rods have a very unique action that is especially well suited to dry fly fishing.

Most of my fishing is done with an 8'6" 4 weight - Orvis HLS.
It just really feels right for my style of fishing, and I use it on just about all larger streams that I fish. Have even been using it on the main stem of the Delaware river with no problems. Although on very windy days, I'll grudgingly break out an Orvis 9' 5 weight.

For smaller streams, I use a 7'9" 2 weight - Loomis IMX.
It's my baby, and gets used on Spring and Fishing creeks - and other simlar sized waterways

Posted on: 2010/5/8 13:05

ry,

this is exactly what I was thinking of when I started my thread about the Redington (you posted in that thread I believe),

I was basically looking for the same thing, a larger water dry fly rod, I like my dry fly rods a little noodlier hence why I latched on to the redington because of the description of the action, seems like what you may be looking for also

Posted on: 2010/5/10 11:58

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I think I'm going to get the Redington CT in a 7'6" 3wt. If I like it I may get a longer 4 wt for my dry fly rod down the road.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 13:26

I think I am going to get the 9ft 4 CT, if I do we can meetup and you can cast it if you want

Posted on: 2010/5/10 16:41

From Room 109
When you are looking at the rod. Try overlining it by one line weight. It should slow down the action a bit and it might make the rod feel a little better to you. I overline most of my rods and find it helps me feel the rod load a little better.

Also why buy new. There are tons of great rods out on ebay. I personally like the St Croix Legend Ultra

http://cgi.ebay.com/St-Croix-Legend-U ... em335cddbe0a#ht_527wt_704

Posted on: 2010/5/11 13:13

(1) 2

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com