Dry fly box suggestions

jaybo41

jaybo41

I'm looking at different boxes to put my smaller dries in and looking for input/opinions on what works for you. I want something that won't smash the hackle, that's the big requirement. The ones I keep finding myself interested are the C&F boxes. Any of you guys use these? If so, what do you like/dislike about them? The threader boxes are somewhat appealing since the flys I'm planning on putting them into range from 18-26.

Any other suggestions from you from you hardcore dry fly guys?

TIA.

I use C&F boxes for all my dries except for my real small ones. My real small flies 20-24 I have in a small ripple foam box. The hackles are very small and the ripple foam boxes don't seem to hurt the hackle since its so small and a lot of them are spinner style anyways.

It does seem to be getting harder to find boxes with standard compartments and no ripple foam.
I did buy a bunch of new ones this past year at FFP in state college, however, that are nice
I can't remember the brand name - nothing is stamped on them - but they're just clear, 8 compartment boxes - 3 and a half by 6 inches total dimension. Very reasonably priced - $8 - $9 a piece, and I use them for all my standard dries.
For midges, I use some small, 6 compartment boxes - 2 x 3 inch total dimension, which were bought at sportsmans warehouse in the burgh

For small dries...

I've used the cheap ones from Gander Mt. ($1). They are cloudy plastic, but are only a buck; the clear ones are like $5. I will say that they don't stay on the shelf very long.

I also like the cheap flip-top indivual compartment ones that are like $2 at fly shops. I know Hille's has them, because I ordered them a couple years ago.

I have Wheatley ripple foam and swingleaf boxes that I bought a long time ago - they work okay. I'm not going to spend the bucks, but if I were to replace them, I would buy C&F boxes without a doubt. Admittedly, they are priced way too high, but they are the best for storing dries or any other type of flies. Also, the C&F waterproof version is very handy practical too. Good luck.

Cliff Outdoors makes pretty inexpensive and very functional boxes. I have two: Days Worth (a small box that fits in a small pocket) and the Big Cliff Fly Box. Each has a magnetic pad on one side and small strips of foam on the other that you can detach to customize your layout. I use the Days Worth for dries that I am most likely to use and the Big Cliff for nymphs, but it could easily be used for dries, as well. The magnetic pad on each really secures small dries and dropper midges.

I also use a C&F 10 row waterproof box to hold all the other dries that I may need.

For the really small stuff, I use a standard, cheap 6 compartment plastic box. I just find these boxes are the easiest to store and remove small flies without wrecking them.

The only thing i dont like about the C&F boxes is the price. I have one for mayflies and one for caddis. i use Cliff boxes for my nymphs, terrestrials and streamers.

Okuma makes a realy nice copy of wheatly with spring lids and foam or clips on one side...I don't like putting drys in any foam they always get messed. In a compartment the right size the stay nice(tails, hackle) The c&f slits are not bad for small flies. Plano makes nice ones to with compartments. justed look in my catalog and Okuma has a few plastic boxes(6 and 4 compartments) have to get a few in.

i second the gander mountain boxes

I too am looking for a dry fly box try this website http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/p/s/listing.aspx?sid=FLB
never bought from them before but some of there prices seem reasonable. Selection is also good.

Meiho boxes are great for flies, lots of small compartments. also Myran boxes for small flies..

Back