Dr. Slick C and R hemostats

OhioOutdoorsman

OhioOutdoorsman

I'm tired of my cheap hemostats. Anyone own Dr. Slick C and R hemostats? Looks like it would help releasing deeply swallowed flies without mangling the fly. Also have a a smooth surface over part of the jaws for mashing barbs......

I never got the hang of using the C&R portion of the hemostats. However, they make great quality tools. I am very fond of Dr. Slick scissor pliers. That way you don't have to carry a nipper. And since I use the hemostats to help tie my knots, I don't have to juggle tools.

Ketchum Release - very useful tool. Saves flies and fish. Easy to use.

Another vote for the Ketchum Release. I've been using it for a few years now. Works well and it keeps the handling of the fish to a minimum.

Regards

From the looks of them it looks like they operate on the same principle.....hollow tube slid down over line and fly and push the hook back to unhook the fish......is this how ketchum release works?

Reminds me of the red "de-wormers" I used to use as a bait fisherman as a kid.

"hollow tube slid down over line and fly and push the hook back to unhook the fish......is this how ketchum release works?"

Your description pretty much sums it up. The tube on the end of the Ketchum has a slit in it so you can slip it onto the tippet and then slide it down to get the fly out. I've used hemostats as well as the Ketchum and the Ketchum seems to be easier to use. I have read posters on other boards who have nothing good to say about the Ketchum, but as I've said, it works for me.

Regards

Back