Cortland Fairplay line

jifigz

jifigz

I believe in the old adage that "you get what you pay for." I tend to only buy things of good quality because a quality product will save frustration, last longer, perform better, etc. I was wondering, however, if anyone has ever tried this line and if it is okay? I am not expecting it to compete with a high-priced "boutique" line or anything, but for $15 from Wal-Mart does it cast okay and actually fish decent for the price?

I've used an old version a number of years ago and it was so so. If you can swing a few extra bucks I'd rather use the cortland 333 - I think that is a better line for a few more bucks.

Its's junk. It is fine when brand new but quickly loses its slickness and starts to collect dirt like crazy in a very short time. If you are looking for something that will last, pay a little more and get something better.

You can usually find some deals on better lines here on the web if you hunt around a bit.

Well, I am not even really shopping for line at the moment. I am using some Rio line that I like very much. I was just curious. I have heard good things about the Cortalnd 333 and 444 series and just wondered if anyone had any opinions on their budget line.

jifigz wrote:
I am using some Rio line that I like very much.... ..... I have heard good things about the Cortalnd 333 and 444 series and just wondered if anyone had any opinions on their budget line.

I think you will be disappointed if you are using any of the Rio lines and then give the 333 or 444 a try. Particularly with the 333. The 333 and 444 are showing their age. The 444 series of lines goes back 20+ years and the 333 are even older. The 444's have some good tapers, but the materials and coatings have fallen behind those of newer lines. With that said if you can find a good price on a 444, it might not be a bad buy for you.

Kev

Nothing wrong with the 444 "Classic" series of lines. I have several and like them very much. There is a reason they are on the market after all these years. They STILL sell and they STILL work!

I purchased Cortland 333 5wt/WF sink tip from Bass Pro that was $15. They had many others types and weights that were discounted because of them being slightly off color. I considered purchasing more at that price. I will probably cringe when I purchase a new line in a couple months for $80.

My first fly rod I got for free from Bass Pro due to having "rewards points" from my Bass Pro credit card. It is a White River Dogwood Canyon combo. I got it around X-mas 2013 and have caught a ton of trout on it. It seems to work wonderfully for the price of $100 (even better that I paid $0.) The line was terrible though. I replaced it with Rio Mainstream and it made a huge difference. I would like to try one of Rio's "better" lines.

I have used fairplay line for years. I have used $50-100 lines and they have done the same thing for me.

There is a fine line between paying for performance advantages in fly fishing and logos printed on boxes.

So you are an advocate of Fairplay think that it is a good value and decent line...interesting. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

kpitts32 wrote:
I have used fairplay line for years. I have used $50-100 lines and they have done the same thing for me.

There is a fine line between paying for performance advantages in fly fishing and logos printed on boxes.

It does just fine. Clean it every once in a while and it will last.

These are great and currently on sale. Love this place

http://store.hookhack.com/HH-Weight-Forward-Lines/products/714/

I can now weigh in with my own opinion for this line. I realized I needed a bigger weight for my bass fishing so I bought the same cheap combo in an 8 weight that I already own in a 6-weight. Realizing I needed line and that I'm very broke I bought the Cortland Fairplay and put it on. Fished with it yesterday morning, yesterday evening, and this morning. I think this line is awesome for the money. Durability may be an issue but it was only $15. Next time I may load the 8 weight with a 9# line to help me chuck some bigger flies even easier. Too bad this cheap stuff only comes in weights 4-8.

As a guy that used 444sl for 20+ years prior to switching to Rio, my only complaint was durability of the line. It always cast well but cracked too fast. With that said, I have sent some back and they replaced them for free.

Cortland was very old school and on their last leg. As far as I know, purchased by local businessmen and given a new life. New website is up and several nee line tapers. Stopped on my way to SR in December and they guy said they were coming out with new stuff, new materials, innovative tapers, etc. Might be worth a second look after I go through the 5 Rio holds I got on clearance. That should be 2022 by my calculations

I'm a fan of Hook&Hackle brand lines.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Nothing wrong with the 444 "Classic" series of lines. I have several and like them very much. There is a reason they are on the market after all these years. They STILL sell and they STILL work!

Agreed. I hate to say stuff like this and maybe it's just the age I'm at but shy of it being kite string, as long as the tappers are somewhat close to the standards of the day, your gonna cast with in a few feet of the same distance every time. Not that distance is what it's all about. I mean how often are you throw'n down to the backing? Ok, fine it might be a little smoother thru the eyes and be the new wiz bang thing on the market but a lot of the hoopla is marketing. I have some new Rio lines and I always fall back to the Cortland 444. I think that one is 7 years old now. I guess it's one of those "Whatever gets you thru the night" things. If it has a line on it and flexes, I can usually cast it well enough to catch fish. It's a poor musician that blames his instrument.

Back