Cortland 555 Rocket Taper

fly_flinger

fly_flinger

Has anyone used the Cortland 555 Rocket taper line? I bought a new reel this year and was talked into trying this line. I initially liked it and could cast it a mile. However, a few weeks ago I noticed it was starting to break down in a section about 10'-15'. I thought I had something on my line but when I looked closer and bent the line, I noticed the whole section was a series or cracks. I've only used it this year and it seems to me like a defective line but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this line or experienced the same problem.

Thanks.

Adam,

I don't own the 555 but I do have the SA Ultra Mastery Series line that I bought last Fall and in the spring of this year it was cracked on the business end.

This was the first line I bought over $20 in about 10 years and will be my last. I am sticking with the low end lines from now on. Its amazing that these $50+ dollar lines are all junk yet they keep coming out with "better ones"

Maurice

I have Cortland 444 rocket taper that I purchased at the begining of this year and have had no problems at all. I normally only fish corland lines and have never hear of it craking after 1 season. I would contact the company.

I had 555 on a rod and I ended up taking it off it lasted no longer then any other line I've ever used. I've tried the SA Mastery Series also and was not overly impressed. I like a stiffer line for roll casting because I nymph 90% of the time at least. The SA Mastery series was way too flimsy for my taste. I perfer the Cortland 333 WF for like $20. I might be dumb again someday and try one of those high end lines but so far in my opinion its not worth the cost. With the way I go fishing within at least 1 year of use the line is all cracked and needs replaced whether it cost $60 or $20.

I'll hop on the bandwagon for the Cortland 333 over the 444 and 555 (in that order).

If you want a good shooting head, try the Wulff Triangle Taper. It's a very supple, long lasting line that has a looooong shooting taper. If you want to cast short, it lands softly. If you want to throw 60', the back end of the front taper will carry a lot of line. (I'll add this caveat, long casts are not my forte' so you may want to try the line yourself)

I can back what Padraic said about Wulff TT. I've been using it for a long time. I use it on all my trout rods. I lasts as long or longer than other lines I have tried. It floats well for me, as long as you keep it clean. It works for short as well as long casts 60'+ (except in the Delaware - it always casts two feet short of a rising fish). I like it most of all because you can roll cast it a mile. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the input everyone. I haven't contacted Cortland yet, but am going to this week. I do like trying different things to see how they work with my style, or lack there of. I've heard other people talk about that Wulff line. I might give that a try next time. Or go with Maurice and buy cheap line so I'm not so pissed when I watch $60 get thrown away after only one season.

Thanks again!

I have 555 on my 8wt and do not like the stuff. It is the worse line that I have ever owned. The problem that I have with mine is that it gets into huge birdnest when I strip my line in. After having it for 1 year I returned it to the store where I purchased it and they exchanged it on the spot for the same line. The newer line has the same problem. Someday I'll replace it with 444.

A lot of the new lines are made to work with the newer fast rods...Also the companys have to build them to accomadate all areas. I think some of the new lines are made for hotter weather, thats why they coil and crack in cooler climates..most fly fishermen are out in the warmer months so the companys look at this and build lines to accomadate.The cortland 333 is a soft line in summer, very limp but still works. As for cooler climes it is about just right..I like the 444 series myself for most of my fishing..I havn't tried the new sylke line yet but its propertys seem like it will work fine for winter fishing. I'll have to try it when i need new line...still have some on spools before i left orvis..I dont like the 555 or the orvis lines except in summer where they seem to perform like they should...I have a 444 line that is still going strong after 5 years and i fish close to 300 days ayear..

I finally contacted Cortland customer service. They were very friendly, helpful and didn't ask any questions about how or why the line is cracking. They gave me the address to send the old line to and they are going to replace it in less than a week. Hopefully the defect was only in the line I bought.

Thanks again for the feedback provided.

Back