Cloudveil 8x jacket

sundrunk

sundrunk

Any one have any experience with this jacket? The reviews I've read were favorable...The only negitive was a report of leaking sleeves..I was surprised since that was supposed to be one of it's better features..Also wanted to know if it was low enough to pass for a rain jacket, or is it just a deep wader (shorty)..I realize this jacket sold for 450..(not exactly an every mans price), but I have a chance of getting one at 1/2 off, or less, thoughts?

i've had mine for a few years
would buy another if it was gone tomorrow

never heard of any leaking issues with CV products, besides the heel on waders

make sure you are getting a current model with the adjustable neo undercuffs

it is not cut high like the patagucci deep wader
hits me right at my belt

try it on before you buy it

Ramcatt

The patagucci's are nice..Considered getting the guide jacket, but did't care for the pocket configuration as much, too many zippers, prefer the velcro flaps...

CV 8X was well thought through, from design to stitch...Originaly I was concerned about weight, but the more I've read suggests the 8x is light enough..

Good to know you would buy another one..

-Thanks

weight is a non-issue
I have put mine through some Sh*t

- wear it with a T-shirt under in June wet wading cold tailwaters
- subzero air temps in BC
- days of driving rain in the PNW
- bulling through heavy brush

good venting... you can dump heat quick

i do not wear vests or packs... jacket is all you need

ramcatt
"i do not wear vests or packs... jacket is all you need"

Funny you suggest that..That's a big reason why I'm getting the 8x, Finally one solution...

So, you guys wear rain jackets all the time?
Even on a hot sunny day?

dryflyguy wrote:
So, you guys wear rain jackets all the time?
Even on a hot sunny day?

When you hate chest packs, it's tough to do it any other way. A light, breathable jacket is 100% necessary for me. As long as I can get away with wearing it, I will.

My waders hold a decent bit of gear, but I am usually relegated to a backpack on hot days. I simply haven't found a vest or pack that I don't think sucks.

On a hot day...

box of flies and bottle of gink fits in my shorts pocket and tippet holder clips to belt loop

Ramcatt wrote:
On a hot day...

box of flies and bottle of gink fits in my shorts pocket and tippet holder clips to belt loop

That too.

Also, fishing shirts are clutch.

Dryfly,

Yeah, it's the new big thing, haven't you heard the news;)

It's a good question. No, during the summer I'll go back to a vented shirt, with pockets, complemented by a lanyard..

The jacket only" is ideal through may, and in to the fall/winter months..Getting the right jacket is key, it's got to be just right..

I've been wearing shorty cut vests ever since I started fly fishing. It holds everything I could possibly need astream just fine
But I'm assuming you guys think that vests - and the newer chest packs - are too confining, or hot?
Meanwhile, we spend all day in a pair of waders that cover three fourths of our body, up to our arm pits. What can be more confining than that? I don't get it

Dry,

I'm not opposed to a sling pack entirely. It's just that I don't care for the waist strap, and shoulder strap mode, tends to swing around alot..For certain situations I'll use a sling..Mostly I depot out of my packs and build, or put together, systems that best meet feild requirements of any given time...

With regards to waders, I fish out of muck-boots as much as I can..And I wet wade some too..For wet wading I use simms wet wading, neoprene, knee highs, feel like they give me enough protection, while keeping my boney shins warm at the same time..

no offense
i probably have no need for most of the stuff you carry in your vest

i only wear waders when absolutely necessary 2nd half of Sept-April

dryflyguy wrote:
I've been wearing shorty cut vests ever since I started fly fishing. It holds everything I could possibly need astream just fine
But I'm assuming you guys think that vests - and the newer chest packs - are too confining, or hot?
Meanwhile, we spend all day in a pair of waders that cover three fourths of our body, up to our arm pits. What can be more confining than that? I don't get it

Vests are uncomfortable and give me a hell of a sore neck after a few hours.

When the weather is nice, I usually fish 10-12 hours without stopping. When I wore a vest, I had to return to shore and take it off every few hours.

Chest packs are clunky and get in the way.

That's my take, anyway.

After driving 3-4 hours or more to fish a certain stream - then often hiking a good ways to reach a favorite spot - I just want to be sure I have everything I need to fish. Be a real kick in the a$$ to find the fish rising to a certain fly that's back in the truck - after all of that.

Even only fishing dries, I still always have about 6-8 fly boxes with me. And usually manage to fill a vest pretty good. I really doubt there's any kind of jacket that will hold everything that I want.
But I have seen some pretty nice looking chest packs that look like they might work for me. And I'll probably give one a try

Dry,

If you don't mind my suggestion, I would get the chest pack that had the lowest profile. Another potential problem with fishing out of a chest pack is the blind spot it can create..It's good to be able to see your boots while wading..

SD - That's the reason I never bought the Richardson chest boxes.

I haven't looked at the chest packs closely, but I would want one that keeps everything more to the sides and back

dryfly

sounds like you carry a LOT more than i do

do you really need 500+ flies for a day of fishing? within 3-4 hrs of yinzburgh (heck anywhere), i personally don't know of a watershed that requires that many flies.

its your time, do what you want

it just may be more comfortable without every fly and gadget weighing you down

DRy,

The most boxes I ever carry is about four, along with a few smaller units for particulars...

William Joseph had a chest pack awhile back that looked sleek enough for the task. Orvis sling pack looked decent too.. Some of this stuff looks like it should have a jet pack on the back of it, hehe...Future world fly fisher

I'm sure there's a perfect solution out there for your needs, just have to find it..

if i were to get a pack... simms dry creek lumbar

Back